Censorship and MapleLeafweb

I wonder how many people will read this, before it is deleted and I am banned from this forum. It is obvious that the moderator Charles Anthony does not permit criticism of the Stephen Harper administration as he objected to a well thought out and tasteful posting that linked to an original blog that is critical of the Canadian government's new bankruptcy laws. The sole objection was based on the fact that his imperial majesty Charles Anthony the moderator of this website felt his ego was damaged, because this was not the only site on which my comments appeared. Since my blog is not a magazine and simply offers me an opportunity to express my views more thoroughly, whereas forums often limit one to a certain number of characters, I can only assume that Charles the very freedom of speech that you profess to support by maintaining a site for political forums, is only really a cover up for your desire to also participate in heavy handed censorship. Not one of the other forums or websites, of which there were maybe five, objected and all of them were located in the United States or the U.K. It is interesting that last week, a posting to a FaceBook page in operated by an individual in Alberta out of Calgary which was designed to protest Stephen Harper's decision to prorogue parliament, also deleted my post and one can only assume that was because I was also critical of the Liberal and NDP parties. Aside from politics, I am a well published journalist both in print and online and I have been published in several countries,without incident. I therefore can only conclude that in fact freedom of speech is not alive and well in Canada, or at least in Alberta, but then it never was under the reign of terror when Ralph Klein was the premier and should we really forget so easily that the buffoon that is Ed Stelmach is the same man who after he became premier wanted to sell tickets for people to come and meet him, so he could pay for his campaign expenses?

Charles Anthony, the moderator of this site, have a good week, but please do us all a favor and come clean as to your own political beliefs in an open letter and do not pretend that you support freedom of speech, when censorship is at the forefront of your agenda. Oh and Charles, yes there are other websites and forums which will print this posting, so expect to see it online soon.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

I wonder how many people will read this, before it is deleted and I am banned from this forum. It is obvious that the moderator Charles Anthony does not permit criticism of the Stephen Harper administration as he objected to a well thought out and tasteful posting that linked to an original blog that is critical of the Canadian government's new bankruptcy laws. The sole objection was based on the fact that his imperial majesty Charles Anthony the moderator of this website felt his ego was damaged, because this was not the only site on which my comments appeared.

You agreed to the terms of service when you registered for this forum:

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration.....

And one of the rules clearly states:

NO CROSS-POSTING

Cross posting is defined as posting the same information in more then one forum on the Internet.

Yet here you are complaining because your post, which you admit was posted on another site and therefore against the rules, was deleted because of some crazy notion regarding "egos" and "free speech."

You agreed to follow the rules and if you refuse to, you should be banned per the rules that you agreed to when registering:

MEMBER REMOVAL

Any user who fails to abide by these rules will be banned without warning.

One of the things that makes MLW so much better than other forums is that the community has a high respect for the objectivity of the monitors, so you're not going to get much traction with us with your post.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied Opening Post

Charles Anthony, the moderator of this site, have a good week, but please do us all a favor and come clean as to your own political beliefs in an open letter and do not pretend that you support freedom of speech, when censorship is at the forefront of your agenda. Oh and Charles, yes there are other websites and forums which will print this posting, so expect to see it online soon.

We're quite happy and thankful to Charles. Your attitude demonstrates that you are quite full of yourself.

Edited by Keepitsimple

We're quite happy and thankful to Charles. Your attitude demonstrates that you are quite full of yourself.

When Charles slaps me on the wrist (and he has), I take it as a compliment. Not for the warning, but for the objectivity within it and the fact that I have been caught crossing the line of unacceptable behaviour.

It has nothing to do about our Prime Minister.

The only thing I don't agree with is the "cross-posting" to other forums on the internet? I can see it within the forums but how can anyone say, you can't post that there.I don't understand that part.

Because there is an internet full of wing nuts who post their rambling diatribes anywhere they can and then disappear without further discussion. Weeding them out improves the quality of the forum.

I really don't get people who come onto another person's website and cry about freedom of speech if they can't do whatever they want on it.

GO F$$% Yourself you communist

You agreed to the terms of service when you registered for this forum:

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration.....

And one of the rules clearly states:

NO CROSS-POSTING

Cross posting is defined as posting the same information in more then one forum on the Internet.

Yet here you are complaining because your post, which you admit was posted on another site and therefore against the rules, was deleted because of some crazy notion regarding "egos" and "free speech."

You agreed to follow the rules and if you refuse to, you should be banned per the rules that you agreed to when registering:

MEMBER REMOVAL

Any user who fails to abide by these rules will be banned without warning.

• Forum Admin

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with antipolitico about Charles moderation style. But I will say, and I think most long time members will agree, that Charles has never EVER shown any bias against a political party, ideology and or individual member, since joining the moderation team. I have the utmost confidence in Charles and I think his dedication to the forums over the years is one of the reasons this forum is such a success.

antipolitico has been shown the door, not because of his criticisms of the forum, myself, or Charles, but because it's fairly clear he has no intention of moderating his own language and or behavior.

One thing I do miss was CA's participation in debates.

You did get solid responses from him if you ever engaged him.

If you say so. I found him to be easily outraged, and he definitely didn't approve of me or my political positions.

I just got done with this thread, and I am laughing quite a bit at it.

American Woman a communist??? There are not enough emoticons to describe how preposterous this actually is. I've been giggling to myself for the last 5 minutes on that alone !!!

Well, just one more poster we won't miss. Great work Greg and CA.

I would just like to take this opportunity to let you folks all know that moderating the forums is a team effort. The team is more than just Greg and myself. The team is Greg, myself and all of you.

We rely heavily upon the member reports and all of your participation to make appropriate interventions. The aim is to keep things running smoothly with the least amount of public disruption to the forums.

I used to be able to respond or acknowledge each of your reports as they came in. However, often things are too busy to allow doing so consistently. Keep reporting posts that you think are inappropriate. We read and balance them all.

Thanks.

If you say so. I found him to be easily outraged, and he definitely didn't approve of me or my political positions.

Yet, has he ever deleted any of your postings just because he didn't like them? Nope I'd say. His responsiblity as a moderator is to monitor the site and enforce the rules. Not to agree with statements posted here, or to hide his opinion.

Edited by CANADIEN