Censorship and MapleLeafweb

• Forum Admin

I suspect Charles is still a contributor but under another name. If he enjoyed contributing and arguing before there is no reason to assume he would not still enjoy doing so. And using an alias would be necessary because he could not do so under his known moniker.

I would add that I would not find anything wrong with that. I wouldn't be surprised if Greg did as well.

Charles and I do NOT contribute in these forums outside of our moderation and administrative tasks.

There is no way that you can contribute to these forums (with or without a alias) and still attempt to be impartial.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and I do NOT contribute in these forums outside of our moderation and administrative tasks.

There is no way that you can contribute to these forums (with or without a alias) and still attempt to be impartial.

Being impartial is like saying that all food tastes bad or all food tastes good. Surely you may be impartial now but in the past some food tasted rotten.

Although the original poster did break the forum rules, I think he had good intentions to engage a useful political discussion. He broke the rules and as a new member he should have been warned and asked to modify rhe thread accordingly, or have it deleted. I think sometimes the admins are a little heavy-handed, they should ask what the intentions of the post are and allow the OP to explain, then determine whether it's good for mapleleafweb or not. I don't know if that was done in this case, but if so, good, fine job. I think the quality and intent of some posts here, by existing members is poor and questionable as to whether it makes a good thread. Before posting, one should ask WHY the post is necessary. A post that is just a trolling antagonistic thread of no real value beyond raising the ire of other members is, in my view not good for the forum.

I think the majority come here to talk about things of importance to Canada, in news and politics but there are a few who seem to get off on taunting and ridicule. If we must delete anything at all, I would like to see some of those posts deleted, and these other type of posts allowed even if they might be cross posting. Better yet, just leave it alone and let us get on with it.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

• Forum Admin

I think sometimes the admins are a little heavy-handed, they should ask what the intentions of the post are and allow the OP to explain, then determine whether it's good for mapleleafweb or not. I don't know if that was done in this case, but if so, good, fine job.

In many cases when I ban someone there are often extenuating circumstances that are not necessary public knowledge. I'm not going to go into details of this particular case (or others in the past), but rest assured, I only ban those who genuinely deserve it. To certain degree you have to trust my judgment to do what's best for the forum.

Guest American Woman

Most boards have a life span of a few years at the most then they disipate. It does take a lot of dedication and influx of spirit to keep a place like this going - thanks.

I agree.

This is the only board I'm interested in posting on, and the moderation/administration plays a big part in that, so I, too, add my thanks.

All moderators suck, it's just a competition of who suck the least.

My desire to congratulate someone for not sucking so much is ...not so much.

Especially considering the impotence the users have moderating the moderators...that point reconsoidered....

WOW YOU GUYS DON'T SUCK SO MUCH AT ALL...

This is the only board I'm interested in posting on, and the moderation/administration plays a big part in that, so I, too, add my thanks.
I agree with AW. This is the only (English) political forum where I enjoy participating. I don't entirely agree that it is due to the moderation/administration. Or at least, the impartiality of its moderators.

On my French forum (which is just as successful), the moderator (owner) is an active participant with defined views. Yet, the forum works well.

On technical forums, it seems a key ingredient is keeping thread proliferation to a minimum - or providing a good search mechanism.

I'm not prepared to generalize about the reasons for the success of a forum.

As to the issue of cross-posting, I agree with Bubbler as others have done:

Because there is an internet full of wing nuts who post their rambling diatribes anywhere they can and then disappear without further discussion. Weeding them out improves the quality of the forum.

I really don't get people who come onto another person's website and cry about freedom of speech if they can't do whatever they want on it.

The same logic applies to posters who cut-and-paste entire newspaper articles without any comment.

In theory, in some cases, article quotes and cross-posting may make sense. In practice, they don't.

----

IMV, an Internet forum amounts to wall graffiti (and given the example of Pompeii, it is at least 2000 years old). Any damn fool can scribble anything.

Or perhaps it would be better to compare an Internet forum with modern mail. Anyone who has dealt with mail at a well-known address knows about the "strange letters". Everyday, several envelopes arrive with elaborate script and meandering lines down the side. Sometimes the letters are all capitalized, or sometimes the vocabulary and grammar indicate education.

I once argued with Greg about the principle of "freedom of speech" on MLF. He convinced me of the practical necessity of censorship.

Edited by August1991

All moderators suck, it's just a competition of who suck the least.

My desire to congratulate someone for not sucking so much is ...not so much.

Especially considering the impotence the users have moderating the moderators...that point reconsoidered....

WOW YOU GUYS DON'T SUCK SO MUCH AT ALL...

You get more flys with sugar than with vinigar. Also my old Russian mother used to say something very wise when dealing with percieved advesarys, especially the mad dog types. She would say - Dolsheet hladeet...translated - You must stroke and soothe them..not talking about padering but about using wise diplomatics. Peace makers first have to be grand warriors who have made the choice that waging issues - is inferior to creating a better and more heavenly world.. As for this site - it needs moderation and centralizm - If you have not noticed it is a premium political Canadain site - You would be surprised who pops by for a look or new idea..Political are dependent on thinkers - radical and mainstream - they really have no imaginations or original ideas of their own - so you have to help them along - in your own little way - One good word - that no one else has thought of can save a nation.