Playing with our members?

Argus

• Forum Admin

Could someone explain to me this new system of identifying our members and what the criteria is? Length of term? Breadth of knowledge? How hard ones attitude is?

What are you talking about? Can you explain your question more?

Greg - look at this page - above the 3 dots there's some kind of member classification that appears to be initialized as 'Full Member' for most of us.

I'm just a member

Hold on...you're a full member, I'm "dè do bheachd" which is gaelic for "You have an opinion"

I believe that can be editted by yourself in the profile settings.

Edited by M.Dancer

Guest American Woman

I think the "member status" has to do with the member's total number of posts. (Unless you 'set' it yourself in the profile, which is why mine reads "Listen what I say" instead of stating my "member status.")

Edited by American Woman

I think the "member status" has to do with the member's total number of posts. (Unless you 'set' it yourself in the profile, which is why mine reads "Listen what I say" instead of stating my "member status.")

No, yours says members, as does mine. Michael H is a Full Member, however. But it isn't because of number of posts as I think I have about three or four times more than him. Now he has been around longer than me, so that could be why he's a Full Member, but on the other hand Bush Cheney is a Senior Member, and he's been around less time than I have so...

Edited by Argus

No, yours says members, as does mine. Michael H is a Full Member, however. But it isn't because of number of posts as I think I have about three or four times more than him. Now he has been around longer than me, so that could be why he's a Full Member, but on the other hand Bush Cheney is a Senior Member, and he's been around less time than I have so...

Your group, as all of us who are "new members" says members...the other, Full Member, is what you get when you don't edit it with things like "slippery when wet" or "has many eyes, some bloodshot"

It's entirely related to post count.

If you want to boost your seniority, just boost your post count. Post post post. Post like the wind. Then you can be counted among the elite and admired, such as Oleg Bach or Benny.

-k

I have no interest in being a Senior. The once-a-month discount on groceries appears to be a terrible trade-off for the terrible clothes, shoddy driving, bad teeth, loss of bladder control, and compulsion to yell "git off my lawn!" at random intervals.

Your current configuration makes a pretty good argument for moving the "interests" field off of the message headers. If Morris is allowed to take up half a page with his list of interests, I should be allowed to have pictures of fluffy kittens in my signature.

-k

Guest American Woman
Your current configuration makes a pretty good argument for moving the "interests" field off of the message headers. If Morris is allowed to take up half a page with his list of interests, I should be allowed to have pictures of fluffy kittens in my signature.

I'd agree that the "interests" fields should be kept off the message headers, but then I wouldn't be reminded that bush_cheney is interested in "large breasts" in every thread he posts in, and I find this to be very useful information on a political board. <_<

Edited by American Woman

This thread is giving me a headache. Can I change my title to throbbing member? :D

Seriously though, having the ranks be just post count based is odd. I've been around these forums for several years, but I only post when I have something to actually discuss. That makes me a "junior" to someone who joined this year, but starts multiple threads on the same topic and continues rambling on long after anyone is listening anymore?

Edited by Bryan

That looks like it is based on post count. Not the length of time you have been a member on this board. I am still a Member, and others have many more posts than I have, eventhough they have not been here as long as I have.

To me, it does not mean anything. We know who are the good posters and we know who are the idiots. Regardless of their status. So don't take the status at face value. Some may have way more posts than I, and if you take into account the quality of the posts, then you see that certain people just like to be heard. On the Internets, they are known as attention-whores !!! :D

Kimmy

PLEASE NO !!!!!!!! No pictures in signatures please. The lack of pictures in a sig is one reason why I visit this forum and have stayed. I really don't care to see the same pic every time someone posts. Text sigs are ok, because they don't take up much room, and do not take away from the feel and discussions that are going on.

If you want to boost your seniority, just boost your post count. Post post post. Post like the wind. Then you can be counted among the elite and admired, such as Oleg Bach or Benny.

Lol, Benny. I don't miss him at all. There are others who have fallen in Benny's footsteps (before and after) and those types of posters never last long around here.

This thread is giving me a headache. Can I change my title to throbbing member? :D

Seriously though, having the ranks be just post count based is odd. I've been around these forums for several years, but I only post when I have something to actually discuss. That makes me a "junior" to someone who joined this year, but starts multiple threads on the same topic and continues rambling on long after anyone is listening anymore?

Absolutely. Now you're getting it, Junior.

If you wish to remove attention from your "seniority" or lack of it, click on your username to go to your profile. Then click "edit my profile". Then go down to the section that says "Profile Information" and put something in the field that says "Member Title". Then instead of "Junior Member" you could be "Frozen Hominid".

-k

Kimmy

PLEASE NO !!!!!!!! No pictures in signatures please. The lack of pictures in a sig is one reason why I visit this forum and have stayed. I really don't care to see the same pic every time someone posts. Text sigs are ok, because they don't take up much room, and do not take away from the feel and discussions that are going on.

I am picturing a 500 pixel tall picture of my cat "Shadow", flanked by twin "Support our Troops" ribbons, underscored by a string of animated gifs of waving Canadian and American flags. All finished off with one of these babies:

……… , . - -.- - . , …….

……… ) ` - . . - `(…….

…….. / . . . .`\. . .\ .. ……..

…….. |. . . . . |. . .| ………

……… \ . . . ./ . . / ………..

……….. `=(./.)=` ………..

…………. `-;`;-’ ………….

…………… || … , ………

……………..|| _.-’| ……….

………..|’-._ || . / ………

……. . ..\ . || .’ / …………..

……….. \ . || . /………….

…………. \.|| . /…….

………….. \.||./ …………..

…….. …….\||/……………

…………. …|| …………..

……………..|| …………..

……………..|| …………..

……………..|| …………..

……………..||…….

…….

……………………..

………

...a badly formated text rose. One of the all time classics.

It is gonna be sweet.

Lol, Benny. I don't miss him at all. There are others who have fallen in Benny's footsteps (before and after) and those types of posters never last long around here.

True that. However, Benny did provide the setup for one of the funniest things I ever read on this forum. In a topic when people were posting about witch-burnings and accusing each other of straw man arguments, Smallc writes:

Straw men burn easily.

Sorry, Benny moment.

which caused me to snort hot tea out my nose.

-k

• Forum Admin

It's called membership ranks, and they are calculated on the number of postings on has made to the forums. Here is the breakdown:

New Member - 1

Junior Member - 250

Full Member - 1000

Senior Member - 5000

One a member reaches each stage, they get a additional "pip" added next to their name:

New Member - *

Junior Member - **

Full Member - ***

Senior Member - *****

Once a member has reached the Full Member status, they can update their member title - which is why some of the longer standing members of the forum has custom titles.

I hope this clears everything up for everyone.

• Forum Admin

I'd agree that the "interests" fields should be kept off the message headers

The interest field has been restricted to only allow 65 characters - which should stop members from rambling on and ruining the forum layout. However, if you see anything inappropriate posted in the interest field, profile or member signature, please report it and Charles and I will deal with it.

۞۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞ ۞

۞..´*• *•. .•*´ •* ´..* • •. *• ۞ ۞

.يا كلب يا نجس يا حفيد القردة والخنازير

۞.•..* ¸.• •.¸ `*.. •.* • • . * •۞ ۞

۞۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩۞۩۩

:huh: