Khadr - Court rules he must be Repatriated

(bold emphasis added)

oh, have you? ... or, once again, when called on it, will you again reach for your trusted 'wiggle-room' formal "Prisoner of War (POW)" designation?

or... in terms of the "child soldier" aspect, will you again reach for your trusted 'wiggle-room' to suggest it doesn't apply to Khadr? Apparently, you leverage the Geneva Convention when it suits your agenda:

In international armed conflicts, children with prisoner-of-war status benefit from the protection of the Third Geneva Convention and cannot be prosecuted for taking part in hostilities. Children treated as civilian internees are entitled to the protection granted by the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 and Additional Protocol I of 1977, as well as by human rights law.

by the by... what about ethics? Should one so closely engaged as yourself, effectively an "agent/ally" for one side, be so adamantly expressing rules of law and freely designating/assigning guilt?

I for one haven't a clue what you are getting at.

1) Omar isn't a Prisoner of War, he is an illegal combatant~therefore he is neither a child soldier.

1.a) He is not a civilian internee, being a combatant nullifies that category.

2) Illegal Prisoners of War are entitled to the same treatment as POWS with some exceptions

3) They can be interrogated and tried and punished according to the laws of the nation holding them.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one haven't a clue what you are getting at.

1) Omar isn't a Prisoner of War, he is an illegal combatant~therefore he is neither a child soldier.

1.a) He is not a civilian internee, being a combatant nullifies that category.

2) Illegal Prisoners of War are entitled to the same treatment as POWS with some exceptions

3) They can be interrogated and tried and punished according to the laws of the nation holding them.

apparently, your 'wiggle-room' reach is (also) fine... the quote I responded to (the one you conveniently left out/ignore), has a "generic" prisoners attachment. So, the prisoner Kahdr... is not the prisoner of war Kahdr - and for all the blustering about fair and equal treatment, convenience and expediency allows the child soldier Kahdr to be dispatched to a limbo world. One can nuance the qualifiers but in the end...

apparently, your 'wiggle-room' reach is (also) fine... the quote I responded to (the one you conveniently left out/ignore), has a "generic" prisoners attachment. So, the prisoner Kahdr... is not the prisoner of war Kahdr - and for all the blustering about fair and equal treatment, convenience and expediency allows the child soldier Kahdr to be dispatched to a limbo world. One can nuance the qualifiers but in the end...

I didn't leave it out I addressed it. Khadr is neither a POW or a child POW. At very very best he is a criminal. If anyone is trying to wiggle it is you, trying to wiggle a square fact into a round definition.

I hope you are not under the impression that the framers of the GCs did so to benefit the likes of the Khadrs of the world. The GC is the heir to the Hague conferences...which left the subject of illegal combatants to the whim of whomever catches them. Most felt being summararily shot would be okay,....and when the GCs were written cooler heads prevailed and left the shooting of the Khadrs to after their trials.

oh, have you? ... or, once again, when called on it, will you again reach for your trusted 'wiggle-room' formal "Prisoner of War (POW)" designation?

or... in terms of the "child soldier" aspect, will you again reach for your trusted 'wiggle-room' to suggest it doesn't apply to Khadr? Apparently, you leverage the Geneva Convention when it suits your agenda:

In international armed conflicts, children with prisoner-of-war status benefit from the protection of the Third Geneva Convention and cannot be prosecuted for taking part in hostilities. Children treated as civilian internees are entitled to the protection granted by the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 and Additional Protocol I of 1977, as well as by human rights law.

by the by... what about ethics? Should one so closely engaged as yourself, effectively an "agent/ally" for one side, be so adamantly expressing rules of law and freely designating/assigning guilt?

Have i been called on it Waldo, i used the word prisoners, what would you have me call them, i use that word because Omar was declared a Illigal combant by a court of law....sorry i just take them prisoner, wrap them up in bubble wrap, until they reach another destination, or high authority....Just so we are clear....the POW status does not apply to terrorist or illigal combatants, it does state in the convention how they should be treated, but it clearly states that they are not afforded any other rights under the convention.....i can produce the convention if you want....

Next the US courts have declared mr Omar a illigal combatant....and in doing so does he does not fit in with the current UN's defination of Child soldier nor is it mentioned in any of the conventions........the UN decided that not me....And as far as i know they have no intention of changing it.....there is no wiggle room just the law, don't like it....get it changed....

Lets talk about ethics shall me, I am a soldier for our nation but also a citizen that have the same rights as you do....as far as i know it is not agains't the law to discuss this on a public forum is it ?

As for blaming or designating guilt i don't think so....i have said dozens of times he should have his day in court...and he should be held accountable for his actions....if thats a bad thing your right i should be flogged.....

What i have done is present some of the evidence that has already been heard or presented in a US court of law....Again thats not a crime or unethical is it ?

I have freely expressed i share no love for Omar and his kind....would you after attending so many comrads being loaded onto herc's....

I imagine Omar being released with some new "for life" friends he met in this institution, all former Canadian soldiers who were in the same institution to heal from PTSD.

That would go over good would it not.....something like putting child molesters in general population....we would'nt need a trail then would we...

That would go over good would it not.....something like putting child molesters in general population....we would'nt need a trail then would we...

If soldiers returning home after war had the resilience of a child, they would not end up sometimes in McDonald’s killing clients randomly.

I would tend to agree with you, i think he should face up to his crimes where they where commited like any other Canadian is or has....however i think a growing majority does not want anything bad to happen to this boy....But they have yet to say what the real reason is that this boy deserves to be treated differently.

There are over 80 pages in these forums that argue the numerous reasons...

There are over 80 pages in these forums that argue the numerous reasons...

And in those 80 pages you've yet to make a case for why Omar should be treated above and beyond any other Canadian child....that has committed a serious crime....Because he is a child soldier and gets a free pass....because he was tortured, because he was abused as a child....which ?

If soldiers returning home after war had the resilience of a child, they would not end up sometimes in McDonald’s killing clients randomly.

Do make this shit up as you go.....If the terrorist had the intelignece to separate fact from fiction in regards to there religion then perhaps we would not have them going into Macdonalds or the local market and blowing themselfs up ...did i mention randomly........all in hopes of getting a few used virgins....i mean they must have run out by now or is there a huge virgin tree out back....come on binney give us the low down....is there really a virgin tree....or some one with a wand "POOF" your a virgin again""' because if us christians got ahold of that we be set for life....virgins running around every where ...muslims running around with nothing to look forward to...shit we'd rule the universe.....we could bring our soldiers back the war for everything would be over....

And in those 80 pages you've yet to make a case for why Omar should be treated above and beyond any other Canadian child....that has committed a serious crime....Because he is a child soldier and gets a free pass....because he was tortured, because he was abused as a child....which ?

Omar has been CHARGED of killing the US Medic, and we don't know if they are true or not, his US lawyer is saying they are not. So on this forum many have already have him guilty and WE don't know the whole story. IF the West is going to bring everyone that has killed a western soldier to trial, then what is stopping those citizens in Iraq and Afg, from doing the same to the military or the US or Canada? A Lot of innocence people were killed in both countries which isn't right, in WAR no one wins.

Omar has been CHARGED of killing the US Medic, and we don't know if they are true or not, his US lawyer is saying they are not. So on this forum many have already have him guilty and WE don't know the whole story. IF the West is going to bring everyone that has killed a western soldier to trial, then what is stopping those citizens in Iraq and Afg, from doing the same to the military or the US or Canada? A Lot of innocence people were killed in both countries which isn't right, in WAR no one wins.

Sorry, but Khadr is caught in the no-man's land of illegal combatant. Otherwise he would just be another POW. Being tied to the Khadr family in Canada didn't help much either. He is/was a prisoner of higher interest.

Omar has been CHARGED of killing the US Medic, and we don't know if they are true or not, his US lawyer is saying they are not. So on this forum many have already have him guilty and WE don't know the whole story.

Let's waterboard him to find out the truth!

Let's waterboard him to find out the truth!

If we were really sensitive to his culture of terrorism we should use the same justice system as the organization that he was fighting for uses with their prisoners. Now don`t say I don`t have a soft spot.

because if us christians got ahold of that we be set for life....virgins running around every where ...muslims running around with nothing to look forward to...shit we'd rule the universe...

With a beautiful image of paradise, you would let the universe rules itself.

well, my hopeful guess is that someone will wake up and treat this case as Canada's problem. If you wanna empty Gitmo and try to erase it from global memory, Khadr needs to be dealt with elsewhere; not in America anymore (cause they tortured him and the optics are bad).

Harper better grow up soon cause he's gonna have to deal with this soon...

well, my hopeful guess is that someone will wake up and treat this case as Canada's problem. If you wanna empty Gitmo and try to erase it from global memory, Khadr needs to be dealt with elsewhere; not in America anymore (cause they tortured him and the optics are bad).

Harper better grow up soon cause he's gonna have to deal with this soon...

I think rather that martyrdom is the most universal problem and that Canada is the country best equipped to prevent its most negative effects.

I think rather that martyrdom is the most universal problem and that Canada is the country best equipped to prevent its most negative effects.

There is no such thing as martyrdom ---it's a hoax - do you really believe when some Mullah sends out a suicde bomber that - the bomber is remembered as some sort of stimulating saint ----? No way - they forget them instantly after they have used them and disposed of the crazys....Jesus the finking Christ could show up tomorrow and be martyred - and would be forgotten in a week - just like you or I - once we are dead - we quickly become oblivious to the living - that's the way all people are - The west should not be afraid of creating heros - heros are fleeting as is martyrdom...It's a joke - Where are all the statues and tributes to all those crazed young suicide bombers? There are none - these are just poor crazy people that bastards use for personal gain and power - It's not religous - Do you really believe that the people in charge believe in goodness or GOD? They - the extremist Muslims - are atheists for God's sake - the proof is in their behaviour and rhetoric.