Bob Rae to end bid for Liberal leadership: CTV

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Bob Rae has told his supporters in a conference call Tuesday that he will end his bid for the Liberal leadership, CTV News has learned.

CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife confirmed the report saying Rae will not challenge frontrunner Michael Ignatieff.

The new process opens up the vote to a lot more members of the party but in areas that Ignatieff still controls. Rae's only hope was the rank and file but even there, it would have been a longshot.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too Moonbox. What I want to know from Ignatieff is his definitive stand on the coalition. What does he mean when he says “a coalition if necessary, but not a necessarily coalition”? It's been suggested in the media that he will hang the coalition over Harper's head to mollify him. Will this sit well with the electorate?

It's funny - Rae finally gets a heads up and it's explained to him that professional martyrs are needed - and old Saint Ignatius (Iggy) is up for the job of professional scape goat...Rae jumped over the fence and does not like the idea of being a sacrfical lamb in the end...smart man - Iggy is tough enough to take it - Rae is not...Iggy will survive - Rae would wither under the new pressure and responsiblity that being head of the opposing force entails ------------- At least Iggy...is made of leather.. :rolleyes:

well, Iggy wasn't necessarily my choice but great, lets get this thing moving now.

As far as I'm concerned, Ignatieff is going to be as popular as Dion with the electorate.

I don't see how anyone can sell Ignatieff as Liberal leader. His academic essays defending the US invasion of Iraq, his essays defending 'rendition' and his essays in support of 'torture' all make him out to be an old-school New England Republican. That of course fits since that's Ignatieff's entire career history.

Ignatieff has virtually zero experience as a parliamentary player, zero experience as an executive and his political instincts are entirely focused upon the foreign policy of a foreign nation (and are ugly opinons at that).

Looks like Harper is going to get a big fat Christmas gift from the Liberal Party.

If the US Democratic Party chose its leaders the way the Liberal Party is choosing Ignatieff, Barack Obama would not be presdient-elect today. There is something disturbing about bending to someone's fostered image of inevitability.

Once again the Liberal Party has dodged the hard choices of going back to figure out what it stands for. The hangers on and the Liberal nomenklatura stand for nothing except limos and power. They figure that Ignatieff will put them back in the ninth floor ministerial suites.

This is Canada. Maybe it'll work.

Well Dion is toast, Ignatieff is not particularly palatable, Rae couldn't possibly win Ontario...

Who's left? Honestly? The best Liberal Leadership Candidate right now is Gerard Kennedy, or Justin Trudeau.

A sad, sad state of affairs for the Liberal Party.

I don't see how anyone can sell Ignatieff as Liberal leader. His academic essays defending the US invasion of Iraq, his essays defending 'rendition' and his essays in support of 'torture' ....

Well hell, any idiot can write an essay opposing such things.

Looks like Harper is going to get a big fat Christmas gift from the Liberal Party.

Ho ho ho....Merry Christmas! :lol:

If the US Democratic Party chose its leaders the way the Liberal Party is choosing Ignatieff, Barack Obama would not be presdient-elect today. There is something disturbing about bending to someone's fostered image of inevitability.

Correct....Hillary Clinton learned this the hard way.

Once again the Liberal Party has dodged the hard choices of going back to figure out what it stands for. The hangers on and the Liberal nomenklatura stand for nothing except limos and power. They figure that Ignatieff will put them back in the ninth floor ministerial suites.

If you can't beat 'em....join 'em

Surely it must...or not.

It's funny - Rae finally gets a heads up and it's explained to him that professional martyrs are needed - and old Saint Ignatius (Iggy) is up for the job of professional scape goat...Rae jumped over the fence and does not like the idea of being a sacrfical lamb in the end...smart man - Iggy is tough enough to take it - Rae is not...Iggy will survive - Rae would wither under the new pressure and responsiblity that being head of the opposing force entails ------------- At least Iggy...is made of leather.. :rolleyes:

I hope you're right because right now the Cons are looking up in Iggy past to attack him, when the government gets back to business. Iggy is going to prove he's out for the good of the country and NOT another Harper.

Me too Moonbox. What I want to know from Ignatieff is his definitive stand on the coalition. What does he mean when he says “a coalition if necessary, but not a necessarily coalition”? It's been suggested in the media that he will hang the coalition over Harper's head to mollify him. Will this sit well with the electorate?

I think he can say that he will vote down the government if they act like donkeys and if the Governor General asks him to try and form a government, he will. I just don't think he will make any deals in advance or say he is voting against the government in advance. He just says he won't back down in the government decides to to act against the best interests of keeping confidence.

That should be enough for most people.

Edited by jdobbin

Who's left? Honestly? The best Liberal Leadership Candidate right now is Gerard Kennedy, or Justin Trudeau.

You just chose two people with the least experience in federal office. They need to find their footing before they can stand, in my view.

Ignatieff has the benefit of a fairly solid performance in the House and backing from his party. Those two areas are what is needed in the next weeks.

My best guess is that the end game is now in sight. The Liberals will hold Harper accountable, he either governs with the consent of the House or he faces the prospect of losing power.

The coalition will hang over Harper's head now more than ever before. I will venture to say that a carbon tax is in the wings whether we like it or not. An auto bailout plan is about the be written whether we like it or not. I am willing to bet that the Liberals will call the government within the next few days and lay down the law. A throne speech will require the confidence of the House and that means that the very first day of a return to work for elected representatives will provide more than a mere insight into designed events for the near future.

Harper will be compelled to make a choice, either govern from the centre under a banner of compromise or chose to seek an election instead of giving away 24 Sussex to Uncle Mike. Then again if Uncle Mike is very smart, he will have already talked to the Governor General and have a little power play plan ready.

The Democrats chose someone based partly on the most freewheeling spending in the history of the U.S.

Even the Tories can't have a convention and an election in the same years without people going over their donor limits. Many of the people attending the convention in Winnipeg did not pay to go because they couldn't go over the limits.

We just finished an election and the Liberals don't have a lot of money to pay for a convention and leadership race at the same time. Even those who might have the money to do are now limited if they donated the maximum for the election.

It is why only three people stood for election.

The hard choice was to have a leader in place immediately because one was needed.

I don't see why it wouldn't.

I said all along that May seemed to far away given we know Harper wants to go to another election right away. When Dion said he was staying, we can see how Harper was willing to go back to the same bullying he said he was going to avoid a week before. He wants an election. Probably more than ever.

The Liberals had to have a leader who was going to say that he was not going to bullied and was prepared to vote no and let the chip fall where they may. As far as the coalition goes, I think Ignatieff will distance himself but not dismiss the idea of letting the Governor General decide what is best including someone else forming a government if the need arises.

The puts the ball in Harper's court. If he wants an election, he make everything a confidence measure and act like a donkey.

My preference would have been an expedited vote using new technology but the last convention rebuffed against except the expensive delegate convention. I don't think the economics worked then and then they don't work now.

Edited by jdobbin

As far as I'm concerned, Ignatieff is going to be as popular as Dion with the electorate.

He is certainly more popular with the Liberal party which is the first battle to be won.

I don't see how anyone can sell Ignatieff as Liberal leader. His academic essays defending the US invasion of Iraq, his essays defending 'rendition' and his essays in support of 'torture' all make him out to be an old-school New England Republican. That of course fits since that's Ignatieff's entire career history.

Ignatieff did a mea cupla on that. Harper remains silent on his support for the invasion and how desire to have Canadian involvement.

Ignatieff has virtually zero experience as a parliamentary player, zero experience as an executive and his political instincts are entirely focused upon the foreign policy of a foreign nation (and are ugly opinons at that).

Ignatieff has had as much Parliamentary experience as Harper did when he ran for office and won. How many years as an MP do you need? And what executive experience are you talking about? Running a company or being a cabinet minister? Did Harper have any of that?

So you think he is going to call an election even before presenting a budget?

You just chose two people with the least experience in federal office. They need to find their footing before they can stand, in my view.

Ignatieff has the benefit of a fairly solid performance in the House and backing from his party. Those two areas are what is needed in the next weeks.

I'm kind of inclined to disagree. While the Liberals do need to worry about now, they also need to worry about the future. Dion has kind of thrown the future of his party into the balance with the proposal of the Coalition. I think it'll be difficult for the Liberals to extricate themselves from that mess without a strong leader who will be palatable to the Liberals now and the public in the next 2-3 years.

While Ignatieff is more popular with his party than the other leaders, he is not incredibly well-liked on the national scale, and if the Liberals make him leader now, he gets the benefit of at least one election before a leadership review, and I think that unless he manages to magic some success out of this Coalition, it will be Conservative Majorities for a decade.

It's kind of a long bomb, but it might be all the Liberals have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/magazine/05iraq-t.html

Ironically, he is wrong again.

Iraq is slowly but surely turning into a success story.

one only needs to see the media silence on the issue to see that this is happening.

ie: difficult does not mean failure (unless you decide it is too difficult and give up, that is)

A lesson many on the left of centre either refuse to understand or because of a blessed life, have never had to personally learn.

Edited by White Doors

Ironically, he is wrong again.

Iraq is slowly but surely turning into a success story.

one only needs to see the media silence on the issue to see that this is happening.

ie: difficult does not mean failure (unless you decide it is too difficult and give up, that is)

A lesson many on the left of centre either refuse to understand or because of a blessed life, have never had to personally learn.

Guns and butter. Ironically as Iraq gets better America gets worse. Almost proportionally.

While Ignatieff is more popular with his party than the other leaders, he is not incredibly well-liked on the national scale, and if the Liberals make him leader now, he gets the benefit of at least one election before a leadership review, and I think that unless he manages to magic some success out of this Coalition, it will be Conservative Majorities for a decade.

Harper wasn't very well liked on a national scale when he became leader of the CPC. He's done fairly well. He'd do better if he actually was likeable. That's where Ignatieff may have the edge.