Wright Says Criticism Is Attack on Black Church

Attacks on him are really attacks on the black church, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. said in a speech to the National Press Club in Washington on Monday, in which he mounted a spirited defense of views and sermons that have become an issue in the presidential campaign because Senator Barack Obama attended his church for many years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/us/polit...ml?ref=politics

Looks like Wright is trying to 'stir the pot' rather than sooth sooth the friction relating to the racial divide.

This probably won't play out to well for Obama.

I heard some clips of him in a press conference, taken over the weekend I think. He tried to explain many of his hate filled comments as being taken out of context. Now some web sites are providing entire sermons from which his highlight comments came from and there is no hiding from the truth.

His explanation of his Aids as a US government project comment left no doubt that he really believes it. The sad part is he can't seem to keep his mouth shut in order to help his old friend Obama. This door knob may singlehandedly change the outcome of the democrat contest if he keeps it up.

Guest American Woman
His explanation of his Aids as a US government project comment left no doubt that he really believes it. The sad part is he can't seem to keep his mouth shut in order to help his old friend Obama. This door knob may singlehandedly change the outcome of the democrat contest if he keeps it up.

I agree with you regarding the AIDS comment, and it's one of the comments/beliefs that I just can't get past. That and "God damn America." Ministers shouldn't be "damning" anyone. He should be asking God to guide America if he feels we're on the wrong track, not to "damn" America. That Obama put him on his campaign, that he made that poor choice, may be his undoing because I think Wright's doing Obama a disservice by not keeping his mouth shut, too, and I was thinking the same thing you did-- that this may be the deciding factor in the democratic contest since a number of super delegates have said that they don't feel bound by the primary election results; they just want to pick a winner. If the Republicans are already using this against Obama, I can just see how it would heat up during the actual election.

This guy has a monstrously huge chip on his shoulder. He reminds me of some fanatical Quebec nationalists.
You're absolutely right. Personally, I think he just needs to take time off and relax a bit. Maybe go back to his 10 million dollar home in his gated community and sort things out.

Of course, his misguided attempt at claiming anyone who dares criticize him is attacking the Black Church may actually work. The left will eat it up and the Black vote may close ranks around him for no other reason than he's black and Al Sharpton says so. I'm telling you, this election cycle is going to be one to remember.

And Obama responds today:

“I’m outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle. The person that I saw yesterday was not the person I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate. I believe they do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church. They certainly don’t portray mine. If he considers this political posturing, then he doesn’t know me very well. And I don’t know him well either.”

Notice how he contrasts Wright today and 20 years ago. Uh huh, what about the 20 intervening years when you went to his church and he made such outbursts, Obama? It's just not believable that only now, during a campaign, Obama discovers he doesn't agree with the hate coming out of Wright's mouth. Because for 20 years he believed it and still does, but it doesn't get votes.

And I'm sure that according to Wright, Obama is now attacking the Black Church. Lord have mercy.

I've been watching this play out with a lot of interest. I have a bit of a bias because my interest is mainly US foreign policy (what can I say, I am a foreigner) and I worry that Hillary Clinton leans too much towards Bill Clinton's foreign policy. George Bush may have screwed up the US response to 9/11 but it basically happened on Bill's watch.

I am wondering about this guy Wright. What is his angle? Is this a guy who for once and for all wants to force the American Race Issue onto the front page, or is he a guy who wants to build revenue for his ministry. Another one of these sad sack Elmer Gantrys?

This appears to be a game of brinkmanship of some kind. I don't know a lot about Obama, but I do not like Hillary Clinton. She wants to abrogate NAFTA. Well listen here, honey. it ain't about YOU. It's about US. You try to wriggle out of your NAFTA obligations and you just see where your limo's gonna get its gas.

Harper said he would link any re-opening of NAFTA to energy. You didn't see THAT on CNN, did you?

I understood that Wright was not pastoring at Obama's church anymore and is retired. I could be wrong. Another thing I heard about him is he is using bodyguards on his press conferences. These bodyguards are from the Nation of Islam group.

A little confusing for a Christian to have ties with such a group.

This guy has a monstrously huge chip on his shoulder. He reminds me of some fanatical Quebec nationalists.

French-Canadians were not brought to this continent in chains. They were not forced into slavery, nor were they whipped and abused like animals. They were not treated as 3/5 of a person even when they were finally "emancipated."

Putting aside the emotional arguments, many French-Canadian people are capable of seeing that there was more of a class war going on in the past than there was an ethnic one. How many blacks could ever think that maybe it wasn't "that bad" for their ancestors....

As Obama said - one good thing that may come of this situation is that it has brought race-relations to the forefront. Until people come to grips with the reality of the pain that has been caused by history, race-relations will never improve.

How could it? How could they ever heal when people like you keep dismissing their resentment as emotional hype (ie by comparing them to French Nationalists).

French-Canadians were not brought to this continent in chains. They were not forced into slavery, nor were they whipped and abused like animals. They were not treated as 3/5 of a person even when they were finally "emancipated."

Putting aside the emotional arguments, many French-Canadian people are capable of seeing that there was more of a class war going on in the past than there was an ethnic one. How many blacks could ever think that maybe it wasn't "that bad" for their ancestors....

As Obama said - one good thing that may come of this situation is that it has brought race-relations to the forefront. Until people come to grips with the reality of the pain that has been caused by history, race-relations will never improve.

How could it? How could they ever heal when people like you keep dismissing their resentment as emotional hype (ie by comparing them to French Nationalists).

Emotion? The hype that is infused into emotion is used to control us though our base reactionary animalism...best to use some logic and contain the emotions and save them for love making... :rolleyes:

This is true, neither were they sold into slavery by their own French brothers as the blacks were by their black brothers. Slavery was a relatively short lived practise in the enlightened European world. Compare that to the fact that Africans have always made a habit of enslaving each other and do so to this very day. Perhaps we should just start blaming them instead.

This is true, neither were they sold into slavery by their own French brothers as the blacks were by their black brothers. Slavery was a relatively short lived practise in the enlightened European world. Compare that to the fact that Africans have always made a habit of enslaving each other and do so to this very day. Perhaps we should just start blaming them instead.

That's like Bin Laden saying he doesn't understand why Americans (or all Westerners for that fact) got so worked up over 9/11 when they kill each other every day.

Edited by BC_chick

BC chick, you made a huge leap of logic when you responded to August's comment.

He was not comparing the history of Blacks and French as you suppose. He was merely comparing the attitudes, the chip on one's shoulder that Wright has, and it reminded him of some extremist types in Quebec.

Nice soap box moment though.

Niether was Wright....on the otherhand, Wright was never a "kings daughter" or forced to live as a habitant on the seingeurs land....neither was Wright expelled fromhis lands for decisions made 3000 miles away.

August is correct, Wright sounds a pit like Camille Laurin

Niether was Wright....on the otherhand, Wright was never a "kings daughter" or forced to live as a habitant on the seingeurs land....neither was Wright expelled fromhis lands for decisions made 3000 miles away.

August is correct, Wright sounds a pit like Camille Laurin

I never said Wright was a slave. I said blacks will never get over their anger while people keep dismissing it as not being legitimate.

Thanks for proving my point.

Edited by BC_chick

I never said Wright was a slave. I said blacks will never get over their anger while people keep dismissing it as not being legitimate.

You had a point?

I wonder if French Canadians*** will get over their anger?

****Or for that matter....Scots, Irish, Slavs, Serbs, Croats, Gypsies, Jews.....

Actually, it's easy...just say, no oine alive today is responsible for what happened 200 years ago, not the Africans whose anscestors sold their enemies into slavery, Not the descendants of the Ulster planters or the Scottish landlords who evicted their tenents....

On the otherhand, I bet Wright makes a damn fine living being an uppity negro....there's solid revenge for you.

Anger is legitimate? Do you mean that Wright has a right to be angry? With his anger, and a buck 50, he can buy a cup of coffee.

BC Chick, anger gets you nowhere. Just ask the Palestinians, American blacks, the Serbs and yes - Quebec nationalists.

And BTW, as others have pointed out above, I wasn't falling into the trap of comparable victimhood (what a pathetic pursuit, when you think about it). Instead, I merely made a comparison of style. This guy Wright reminds me of, say, Pierre Bourgault. Both had a chip on their shoulder (although Bougault was a better speaker and Wright's chip seems bigger).

Anyway, this guy Wright seems to have become a (metaphorical) suicide bomber for Obama's campaign. Some even suggest that the Clinton's put him up to it. Anyway, anger and a chip on one's shoulder, whether legitimate or not, don't accomplish anything. Obama's slim chances of becoming president just went to zero.

BC chick, you made a huge leap of logic when you responded to August's comment.

He was not comparing the history of Blacks and French as you suppose. He was merely comparing the attitudes, the chip on one's shoulder that Wright has, and it reminded him of some extremist types in Quebec.

Nice soap box moment though.

And you are suprised? She thinks that Hitler and Churchill were moral equivelants. :)

BC Chick, anger gets you nowhere. Just ask the Palestinians, American blacks, the Serbs and yes - Quebec nationalists.

How can you say such a thing when racially separating (linguistically) French from English paid off big time for Quebec French nationalist or anyone French in the province of Quebec.

I believe this is what Wright is trying to accomplish.

He is trying to racially separate Blacks from being part of White U.S.A. which will give them a cultural superiority similar to what French Quebecers have achieved in Quebec, Canada.

Actually it appears Obama prior to his bid for president had no objections to Wright's cultural ideologies but now sees things differently. An obvious racist cultural conflict has emerged from Wright hammering away on Black cultural ideologies and Obama now wants no part of it.

The U.S. isn't Canada and what paid off CULTURALLY for the French in Quebec will never happen for the Blacks in the U.S.

They know better and know what racism is.