Jack Layton on Lou Dobbs

Here we had the looney right meeting the looney left and guess what? There is not much difference that I can see! Frick and Frack are both against NAFTA! Does anybody else think there is a resemblance between Handsome Jack and everybodys favourite historical commie, Lenin?

jack layton?

Who is jack layton?

Heard about a traitor the military call taliban jack - would this be the same guy?

Surely no one would take this jack guy seriously.

Borg

This post is against board policy.

Not only that it is pretty stupid too.

Layton on Dobbs

That's the link if anyone is interested... not the soft in the heads who posted above obviously.

This post is against board policy.

Not only that it is pretty stupid too.

Layton on Dobbs

That's the link if anyone is interested... not the soft in the heads who posted above obviously.

I watched it. Jack-Lou use China as an example of where raw goods go abroad and finished product come back. "We are like a third world country" was one comment.

How did China get involved in a slam against NAFTA? Layton did not give one example of a Canadian job going to Mexico because of NAFTA.

I watched it. Jack-Lou use China as an example of where raw goods go abroad and finished product come back. "We are like a third world country" was one comment.

How did China get involved in a slam against NAFTA? Layton did not give one example of a Canadian job going to Mexico because of NAFTA.

Maybe they think China is part of NAFTA.

Jack didn't but I will.
Five hundred workers at an ArvinMeritor auto parts plant in Toronto learned Friday that they'll soon be out of a job and their work will be transferred to Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/07/arvinmeritor.html

And that Toronto plant closing will cost many people close to me a substantial loss in revenue. In turn, it will affect me too.

Edited by JaysFan

What a wonderful expression, fair and sustainable trade...

Lou Dobbs on Jack Layton

This sounds wonderful to me too. Above all else however, what workers in all countries really need is a far more transparent trade agreement process at the WTO. The socio-economic disaster known as 'globalization' is what's really at issue here.

And just for the record...'the freer the trade the freer the people'. I think the motto at the WTO is 'the more secret the trade agreement process is the more profits we can rip-off'.

Way to go Jack.

Edited by eyeball

Jack didn't but I will.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/07/arvinmeritor.html

And that Toronto plant closing will cost many people close to me a substantial loss in revenue. In turn, it will affect me too.

Sounds like it's related to the restructuring in the auto industry rather than NAFTA. Layton had his chance to blame this on NAFTA but chose not to.

Recently we have lost thousands of manufacturing jobs, as much to do with the increase in value of the dollar as anything else.

Its good for both countries to have people like Layton and Dobbs to bring attention to certain things they think the public should know. They are both for the "middle-income" earners and IF you don't care for their ways that's your choice but can you give your reasoning some back-bone other than insults? I don't agree with some of the things Layton says but he does ask the questions of the government and I for one would like to hear answer to them in question period. As far as China goes, we have the US, Canada and other countries take China to task about the freedoms within the country and yet these same countries go and trades with China.

Sounds like it's related to the restructuring in the auto industry rather than NAFTA. Layton had his chance to blame this on NAFTA but chose not to.
Nice try at spinning that but that plant in particular wasn't involved in the auto sector. It manufactures heavy truck and commerical vehicle shocks.

It was a clear case of how NAFTA has led to Canadian and more recently, American manufacturing jobs disappearing to Mexico for the benefits of cheap labour.

"The company must operate from a global manufacturing footprint that optimizes capacity and reduces costs, while creating the highest levels of service and value for our customers," vice president Ed Frutig said in a statement.

"Our site closures are in no way a reflection of our dedicated workforce. Our talented and highly skilled employees have consistently delivered quality products for our customers."

It was clear long before that when FTA/NAFTA led to a loss of American autoworker jobs to Canada.

Ever hear of the (now defunct) Canada/U.S. auto pact?

Which makes me wonder why maybe we should create an auto pact with China rather than kiss American butt for jobs.

Or better still create our own auto manufacturing sector.

• 4 weeks later...