Ft Hood Terror Attack

DogOnPorch

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpt from article linked above:

Thirteen people have been killed and 30 wounded in a shooting spree at a Texas military post in a murderous rampage that officials believe was carried out by an Army psychiatrist. The suspected gunman was identified by ABC News as Major
Nidal Malik Hasan
. (emphasis supplied)

This syndrome, of Islamists who live "normal" lives suddenly erupting into random, senseless violence has been labeled "sudden jihad syndrome". Excerpts and link to article on sudden jihad syndrome below.

"Individual Islamists may appear law-abiding and reasonable, but they are part of a totalitarian movement, and as such, all must be considered potential killers." I wrote those words days after September 11, 2001, and have been criticized for them ever since. But an incident on March 3 at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill suggests I did not go far enough.

That was when a just-graduated student named Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, 22, and an Iranian immigrant, drove a sport utility vehicle into a crowded pedestrian zone. He struck nine people but, fortunately, none were severely injured.

In brief, Mr. Taheri-azar represents the ultimate Islamist nightmare: a seemingly well-adjusted Muslim whose religion inspires him, out of the blue, to murder non-Muslims. Mr. Taheri-azar acknowledged planning his jihad for more than two years, or during his university sojourn. It's not hard to imagine how his ideas developed, given the coherence of Islamist ideology, its immense reach (including a Muslim Student Association at UNC), and its resonance among many Muslims.

Were Mr. Taheri-azar unique in his surreptitious adoption of radical Islam, one could ignore his case, but he fits into a widespread pattern of Muslims who lead quiet lives before turning to terrorism. Their number includes the hijackers responsible for the attacks of September 11, the London transport bombers, and the Intel engineer arrested before he could join the Taliban in Afghanistan, Maher Hawash.

This is what I have dubbed the Sudden Jihad Syndrome, whereby normal-appearing Muslims abruptly become violent. It has the awful but legitimate consequence of casting suspicion on all Muslims. Who knows whence the next jihadi? How can one be confident a law-abiding Muslim will not suddenly erupt in a homicidal rage? Yes, of course, their numbers are very small, but they are disproportionately much higher than among non-Muslims.

It seems like Canadian voluntary soldier system is the better way to avoid such embarrassing tragedy.

:rolleyes::unsure:

Not really....

Fourteen women killed by anti-feminist Marc Lepine at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique engineering school in December 1989. Lepine wounded another nine women and four men and fatally shot himself.

What do we expect when an economy is in part based in violence? Look at your local video game store. Every second movie on display has a gun. Every lusted after resourse that belongs to another national family is coveted by American buisness and they are like pirates willing to raid, kill and plunder to get what they percieve they need and want. It is totally natural that such a social orgainizm such as the one adopted by the west implodes into a state of auto-cannibalism and they body starts to kill itself...It's normal that intergenerational warriors and plunderers shoot each other. What's the surprise? There is no peace or honour amoungst thieves.

Not really....

Fourteen women killed by anti-feminist Marc Lepine at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique engineering school in December 1989. Lepine wounded another nine women and four men and fatally shot himself.

That's a bit of a non-sequitur, Dick. Lepine wasn't about to be deployed. In fact, he'd tried to join the army and been rejected because they thought he was a fruitcake.

Xul is equally out to lunch, however. Military service in the United States is no less voluntary than in Canada.

-k

Some in the media who make a good living shrilling the dogma of their media masters, believe that it is just fine for the military to recruit within the walls of higher learning. Do they not realize that university students and high schoolers for that matter are not stupid - to sign up is like signing a waver allowing yourself to be killed by another state with the help of your misguided and crazed state. Solutions for the distribution of wealth world wide should be sought in earnest. It does not make sense to keep killing other and sacraficing your own needlessly for profit and adventure.

As for the term "sacraficed for his nation" _ What a crock! In order to create a real sacrafice the person my totally destroy the enemy by giving up his life - that is a profitable sacrafice _ to die by a road side bomb without having engaged the so-called enemy is NOT a sacrafice - It is suicide - those that are suicidal bombers are truely the real sacrafical lambs - we are but racoon road kill.

That's a bit of a non-sequitur, Dick. Lepine wasn't about to be deployed. In fact, he'd tried to join the army and been rejected because they thought he was a fruitcake.

I am sure your explanation is great comfort to the victims in Montreal (or any other such shootings in Canada or USA), which was the larger point.

Xul is equally out to lunch, however. Military service in the United States is no less voluntary than in Canada.

Xul is cool...no problems.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This is what I have dubbed the Sudden Jihad Syndrome, whereby normal-appearing Muslims abruptly become violent.
jbg, I agree. I know personally two Muslims who made decisions in their personal lives that I would never have predicted.

Then again, I know several Christians, Jews, Atheists and even Buddhists who have said one thing and then done another.

-----

Nevertheless, jbg, I will take your point indirectly. IMV, and I generalize, the relationship between women and Muslim men is not natural, freely chosen. IME, in Muslim families, men have a privileged place.

Dare I add that protestant Christians, Calvinists, suffer from a similar affliction?

I am sure your explanation is great comfort to the victims in Montreal (or any other such shootings in Canada or USA), which was the larger point.

I'm sure it was likewise of little comfort to the victims of swine flu either. However, I don't see what any of that has to do with responding to Xul's (inane) theory that forced military service was to blame for this tragedy.

-k

I think the two events are different and are not comparable. The mediums have suggest that the killer is a Muslim and the killing is related with that he will be dispatched to Iraq.

About the volunteer soldiers, it's my mistaken. :(

I also know what the political-juristical-correct answer is, but I still think there maybe has a better way to deal with such religious sentiment or maniac rather than forcing him. :unsure:

I have two comments on this incident.

One is the claim being made that he suffered from discrimination because he was a Muslim of middle eastern extraction. I have little doubt this is, to some extent, true. There was a lot of suspicion and doubt about blacks when they were integrated with the regular US military. Most blacks responded to this by trying to be better and more courageous soldiers than their white counterparts. No one seriously has any doubts about Blacks in the US military nowadays. This clown has not only betrayed his country but his fellow Muslims. Every Muslim's determination that they should merit the same assumption of loyalty as other soldiers got that much more difficult because of this betrayal. Every Muslim in America who is proud of his country and who wants to be seen as just as American as anyone else will cringe at this, knowing that task became harder.

The second is the oddity of how Islam seems to pull at Muslims, how the Islamist thinking which is all over the internet, not to mention in so many mosques, which so many Muslim men encounter regularly, pulls them into thinking that they are Muslims first, and that other nationalities are merely incidental to that. Hassan was born in the US, yet liked to wear Arabic outfits and called himself a Palestinian. He is not the first Muslim American soldier to betray his country in the name of some amorphous feeling of unity with fellow Muslims, and likely won't be the last.

Because of that, the loyalty of all Muslims will continue to be questioned, not only in the US but in other western nations.

He is probably referencing information that Hassan hired a lawyer in an attempt to get himself out of the military.

He did, however, join voluntarily. The military then made a deal with him whereby they would put out something over half a million in training/tuition costs and put him through medical scool in exchange for his service for some period of years thereafter. Hassan didn't want to live up to his end of the deal, however.

Edited by Argus

Because of that, the loyalty of all Muslims will continue to be questioned, not only in the US but in other western nations.

Argus,

I'm going to jump ahead a bit and anticipate some of the discussion that will come down by saying that sudden religious fervor needs to be a profiled behavior in the military. Of course hindsight is 20/20 as they say but it's hard not to think that someone in this person's circle must not have seen flags around his behavior.

Argus,

I'm going to jump ahead a bit and anticipate some of the discussion that will come down by saying that sudden religious fervor needs to be a profiled behavior in the military. Of course hindsight is 20/20 as they say but it's hard not to think that someone in this person's circle must not have seen flags around his behavior.

I can see even farther ahead to a time when having religous beliefs alone will be enough to warrant profiling people before giving them weapons. Perhaps that time will be so far ahead it will be measured in tems of centuries but its how I feel.

Obviously there are some deep psycholgical pressures being felt throughout society and I'm remninded of the way rats behave in an over-crowded stressed-out state they can't escape from. Of course its ironic that this would be a psychologist who went off the deep end. Was there an element of cognitive dissonance also at play in this man's mind?

This is a universal phenonmenon. I think its fair to say that if the roles were reversed and Christianity was wearing the shoes Islam is wearing we'd be seeing the same result...like rats in a cage.

This is a universal phenonmenon. I think its fair to say that if the roles were reversed and Christianity was wearing the shoes Islam is wearing we'd be seeing the same result...like rats in a cage.

Some Muslims would disagree...and here's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyS8sIUjmQ

Like I said, put a cage around a bunch of rats and start limiting the abundance of resources and watch what happens.

What DOP seems to be implying is that the Christian rats would ensure everything was distributed fairly to keep the peace where the Islamic rats wouldn't. The scientific evidence just doesn't bear that out.

Guest American Woman

I wonder if anything will come of this .....

At least six months ago, Hasan came to the attention of law enforcement officials because of Internet postings about suicide bombings and other threats, including posts that equated suicide bombers to soldiers who throw themselves on a grenade to save the lives of their comrades.

Investigators had not determined for certain whether Hasan was the author of the posting, and a formal investigation had not been opened before the shooting, said law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the case. link

I also wonder why a formal investigation had not been opened before the shooting.

Wonder if there's any truth to this, too: Soldiers who witnessed the rampage reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" — an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" — before opening fire, said Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, the base commander.

Some Muslims would disagree

Just like some Christians would disagree that killing doctors is bad or many other groups who express stupid behaviour and then group themselves under a certain religion.

This jbg person sounds like a real gem. "Sudden Jihad Syndrome" - Laughing.

Edited by naomiglover

Like I said, put a cage around a bunch of rats and start limiting the abundance of resources and watch what happens.

What DOP seems to be implying is that the Christian rats would ensure everything was distributed fairly to keep the peace where the Islamic rats wouldn't. The scientific evidence just doesn't bear that out.

That's not what Dr Naik said at all.