Nearly half of Canadians are opposed to university protest encampments, poll suggests

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/nearly-half-of-canadians-are-opposed-to-university-protest-encampments-poll-suggests/article_65c5960c-8469-522e-afe0-20f4f03e0829.html

OTTAWA, Ill. - A new opinion poll suggests nearly half of Canadians oppose the pro-Palestinian encampments that have cropped up on some university campuses.

Just 31 per cent of people who took the Leger survey last weekend said they support the encampments, while 48 per cent were against the demonstrations. About one in five said they don’t know.

This is the latest in polling that suggests that hamas'  paid demonstrations in Canada are not exactly winning the hearts and minds of the people. I think they may be doing themselves more harm than good.

Nearly half of Canadians turned into their Mom & Dad.

Lookit them long haired commie sympathizer anti-Vietnam rallies send in the National Guard! Shoot a Few!
That GD Martin Luther King and his Marches on here and there! They are leftists, they are the enemy. They want to take away may rights!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Only48%??

And 52% said they support or do not care.

No - 48 percent said they were against it. 31 percent said they supported it. And the rest said they didn't KNOW.   Not that they didn't CARE.

That means they felt they didn't have enough knowledge of the situation to say one way or another.  They weren't asked if they care. The questions appear to be 'support, oppose, don't know'

So of those who feel they have enough info to make an opinion, the strong majority do not approve. Over 60 percent.

I am in the do not care group.

Well that's one i guess :)  

Just now, herbie said:

?????

So you think their mom and dad also didn't like demonstrations in favour of terrorism?  You may be right i suppose :)

Lookit them long haired commie sympathizer anti-Vietnam rallies send in the National Guard! Shoot a Few!
That GD Martin Luther King and his Marches on here and there! They are leftists, they are the enemy. They want to take away may rights!

Sure - that's pretty much the same thing.  Students Protesting their country going to war when it shouldn't and drafting them is the same as people who aren't even students taking over parts of a university because some other country that's not theirs is doing something they don't like to some other country that is not theirs either.

Yet - you condemn the jan 6 protesters.

Well at least you're consistent in your hypocrisy.

31 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

No - 48 percent said they were against it. 31 percent said they supported it. And the rest said they didn't KNOW.   Not that they didn't CARE.

That means they felt they didn't have enough knowledge of the situation to say one way or another.  They weren't asked if they care. The questions appear to be 'support, oppose, don't know'

So of those who feel they have enough info to make an opinion, the strong majority do not approve. Over 60 percent.

Well that's one i guess :)  

Hmmm, lemme see, what did I say?

Oh yeah :

"Only48%??

I am in the do not care group."

Nice to see you can regurgitate my comment LOL

Oh and... you have a little math issue too LOL

Just now, ExFlyer said:

Hmmm, lemme see, what did I say?

Oh yeah :

"Only48%??

Yes  which is wrong.  Nobody in the survey offered an opinion as to whether or not they care. So what you stated was factually incorrect. I corrected you.

I am in the do not care group."

You're doing a lot of writing for someone who doesn't care but, sure!

Nice to see you can regurgitate my comment LOL

Ahhhhh  so even after i pointed it out,  you didn't realize what you said was wrong!! LOLOLOL 

Well  sorry that your error went over your head, but hopefully we've straightened that out now :) 

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

?????

So you think their mom and dad also didn't like demonstrations in favour of terrorism?  You may be right i suppose :)

Sure - that's pretty much the same thing.  Students Protesting their country going to war when it shouldn't and drafting them is the same as people who aren't even students taking over parts of a university because some other country that's not theirs is doing something they don't like to some other country that is not theirs either.

Yet - you condemn the jan 6 protesters.

Well at least you're consistent in your hypocrisy.

No one was comparing the substance or subjects of the protests then and now. The point was anti war and civil rights protests in the 1960s were also quite unpopular with the general public.

You total dumbass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, herbie said:

Just you rights Herbie...everyone else is ok...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

So you think their mom and dad also didn't like demonstrations in favour of terrorism?

No I think many of them were as buttheaded and closed minded about what they're about as you are. As normal people could figure out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

No one was comparing the substance or subjects of the protests then and now. 

well if you're going to say it's the same thing, ya kinda should :)

The point was anti war and civil rights protests in the 1960s were also quite unpopular with the general public.

You could point out fried liver is unpopular with many people, but unless you actually connect them somehow as being the same thing then it's not relevant.

He said they'd become their parents. Not just that people then disapproved.

Saying that because at some other point in time some other people once disapproved of ANOTHER completely different protest that's radically different than this one makes you the same as those people would require you to draw a connection between the two things.

They're not the same thing,

Sorry to see your stupidity managed to get between you and logic and common sense again.  :)  

8 minutes ago, herbie said:

No I think many of them were as buttheaded and closed minded about what they're about as you are.

Well they were actually correct. The protests didn't wind up affecting the war and the protests were kind of stupid.

THe protesters went on to turn out to be pretty terrible people - they would mentally torture and assault the soldiers who returned who had been drafted and forced to go as if they were responsible for the whole thing.

Having a different opinion doesn't make someone closed minded.  I know the left sees it that way  - you are utterly intolerant of different ideas.

Which means you didn't turn into your parents - you turned into stalin :)   Well done :)  

Personally am also in the "couldn't care less" camp.

I do admit however, I always giggle when I see people in the LGBTQ community hold signs that state (insert their sexuality group) and something to the tune of: "stand in solidarity with Gaza."

While its good intentioned, this said person in Gaza likely would get killed, and points to the (ironically), the lack of education of such people.

The sheer hatred towards Jewish people by many in Gaza, is disturbing.

Also, among some in these protests.

With that said, they can occupy until Christmas for all I care.

It literally will do nothing. 

I start to have an issue if they start occupying streets I take to go home.

Then you would likely see a massive spike of people demanding their forcible removal. 

Until then, tantrum all you want. Israel has the right to defend itself. You have the right to peacefully assemble and protest, lawfully.

I see this as beautiful.

19 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Only48%??

I am in the do not care group.

I am surprised this is only 48%. I thought overwhelming opposition to university protest encampments.

University is an educational institute not political forum not to mention many of protesters have never been to a university. outside agitators. 

23 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I am surprised this is only 48%. I thought overwhelming opposition to university protest encampments.

remember that 20 percent said they didn't know enough.  If you just look at the people who did have an opinion

Among those who DID know enough to have an opinion, close to 61 percent were in opposition. So, when they actually look at it the majority don't approve. 

17 hours ago, CdnFox said:

well if you're going to say it's the same thing, ya kinda should :)

You could point out fried liver is unpopular with many people, but unless you actually connect them somehow as being the same thing then it's not relevant. 

That's not even a coherent sentence lmao. Connect what with what as being the same thing? Liver with protests? 

He said they'd become their parents. Not just that people then disapproved.

Yes meaning "the same people who probably protested as students in the past to their parents disapproval are now the people disapproving of student protests". It's a straightforward and self-contained proposition.

Saying that because at some other point in time some other people once disapproved of ANOTHER completely different protest that's radically different than this one makes you the same as those people would require you to draw a connection between the two things.

They're not the same thing,

No it doesn't.

Sorry to see your stupidity managed to get between you and logic and common sense again.  :)  

I've honestly never met anyone so stupid yet so assured of their own intelligence as you. They should study you in a lab.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Person do admit however, I always giggle when I see people in the LGBTQ community hold signs that state (insert their sexuality group) and something to the tune of: "stand in solidarity with Gaza."

While its good intentioned, this said person in Gaza likely would get killed, and points to the (ironically), the lack of education of such people.

*says protesters are uneducated

*doesn't understand what "solidarity" means.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

That's not even a coherent sentence lmao. Connect what with what as being the same thing? Liver with protests? 

The sentence is perfectly coherent in context for those who comprehend English. I know you struggle.  

And yes - if you're going to claim fried liver and a protest is the same thing just because someone doesn't like both you would have to draw more of a connection between them. 

Otherwise it's like saying that if you don't like apples then you must not like oranges because they're the same thing.  They're both fruit, but they're not the same. 

This might be over your head.  If it's still unclear let me know and i'll fetch some crayons 

Yes meaning "the same people who probably protested as students in the past to their parents disapproval are now the people disapproving of student protests". It's a straightforward and self-contained proposition.

Nobody said anything about disapproving of student protests.  Where was that in the poll? The question wasn't "do you approve of student protests". 

Now you're just making stuff up as you go to try to get it to fit. 

No it doesn't.

Comparing two things doesn't require there to be a connection between them :) ROFLMAO!!!!!

Ok sparky.  Here's an apple and an orange, go have fun in the corner :) 

I

've honestly never met anyone so stupid yet so assured of their own intelligence as you. They should study you in a lab.

You really do get your money's worth out of that mirror don't you :)  

Sorry snowflake  -  you'll probably learn more about how logic works when you get into highschool

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

The sentence is perfectly coherent in context for those who comprehend English. I know you struggle.  

The sentence was so incoherent you had to re-write it here to correct yourself lol.

And yes - if you're going to claim fried liver and a protest is the same thing just because someone doesn't like both you would have to draw more of a connection between them. 

Even re-written this doesn't scan. No one was claiming "fried liver" (whatever that's supposed to be analogous to) and protest are the same thing.

Otherwise it's like saying that if you don't like apples then you must not like oranges because they're the same thing.  They're both fruit, but they're not the same. 

"My first analogy was dogshit, here's another dogshit analogy to explain that first dogshit analogy".

This might be over your head.  If it's still unclear let me know and i'll fetch some crayons 

LOl I know you think this all makes sense, but we've established your brain doesn't really work right. 

Nobody said anything about disapproving of student protests.  Where was that in the poll? The question wasn't "do you approve of student protests". 

Now you're just making stuff up as you go to try to get it to fit. 

Do you think "oppose" and "disapprove" mean dramatically different things?

Comparing two things doesn't require there to be a connection between them :) ROFLMAO!!!!!

Again: the comparison, such as it was, was between those who disapprove of (sorry: oppose) the protests now and those who opposed the social justice protests of the past, not between the protests themselves. It's blindingly obvious at first read but you're contorting yourself into knots in a pathetic attempt to make it appear as though there was an equivalence being drawn between the message and substance of these protests and, say, civil rights or Vietnam protests. 

If I said "isn't it funny how people of the boomer generation are saying the same stuff about modern music that their parents said about rock'n'roll?" only a complete ret@rd would think I was comparing, say, Kendrick Lamar with The Beatles. But you would!

Ok sparky.  Here's an apple and an orange, go have fun in the corner :) I

You really do get your money's worth out of that mirror don't you :)  

Sorry snowflake  -  you'll probably learn more about how logic works when you get into highschool

Oh the emojis are here, you're b!tchmad now.

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

The sentence was so incoherent you had to re-write it here to correct yourself lol.

LOL - it was fine the first time.  You probably just sobered up and suddenly it made sense :) 

Even re-written this doesn't scan. No one was claiming "fried liver" (whatever that's supposed to be analogous to) and protest are the same thing.

"I was afraid this might be over your head. 

You were struggling to comprehend that to compare two things directly they have to be the same sort of thing. You can compare a car with another similar type of car.  But you can't with a bicycle. Then it's contrast for the most part- they're not the same thing. 

I see you spend the rest of your reply still failing to grasp this simple concept. 

LOL - you're the second person in a week he's made look stupid trying to defend him :) 

You're probably just not smart enough for this conversation but i'll try to dumb it down for you,  There's nothing similar between the hippie movement of the 60's or the vietnam protests by students and the current occupation of universities by paid individuals most of whom are not  students regarding a terrorist group and a foreign nation. 

Like - nothing. Other than perhaps they involve a university. 

So it was stupid to suggest that people now who don't approve of these encampments are somehow of the same mind as someone from the 70's. 

Of course - as someone who was obviously born in the late 2010's you probably woudln't get that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Black Dog said:

*says protesters are uneducated

*doesn't understand what "solidarity" means.

Yup so smart , their stupid....

Be kind of like chickens standing in solidarity with KFC...

Or jews standing in solidarity with the SS guards...

I'm here all night if you want more...

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Be kind of like chickens standing in solidarity with KFC...

Or like standing beside every other peace protestor through history...facing an uphill battle.

I mean, you would have been calling for more carpet bombing and napalm back in the day right?

53 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Or like standing beside every other peace protestor through history...facing an uphill battle.

They're literally calling for the death of the jews and cheering the slaughter of civvies on oct 7.  In what way exactly are they "peace" protesters FFS?  Any more 'peaceful' and they'll start nailing jews to the flagpolls. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CdnFox said:

LOL - it was fine the first time.  You probably just sobered up and suddenly it made sense :) 

"I was afraid this might be over your head. 

You were struggling to comprehend that to compare two things directly they have to be the same sort of thing. You can compare a car with another similar type of car.  But you can't with a bicycle. Then it's contrast for the most part- they're not the same thing. 

I understand that. The difference is you're so dumb you don't actually understand what things were being compared, as I've painstakingly explained to you in terms you're obviously too retarded to grasp.

LOL - you're the second person in a week he's made look stupid trying to defend him :) 

Mad emoji again!

You're probably just not smart enough for this conversation but i'll try to dumb it down for you,  There's nothing similar between the hippie movement of the 60's or the vietnam protests by students and the current occupation of universities by paid individuals most of whom are not  students regarding a terrorist group and a foreign nation. 

This is both untrue and irrelevant to the point being made.

So it was stupid to suggest that people now who don't approve of these encampments are somehow of the same mind as someone from the 70's. 

That was no implied by the comparison.

Of course - as someone who was obviously born in the late 2010's you probably woudln't get that. 

I am likely older than you while also being smarter and more successful.

13 hours ago, CdnFox said:

They're literally calling for the death of the jews and cheering the slaughter of civvies on oct 7.  In what way exactly are they "peace" protesters FFS?  Any more 'peaceful' and they'll start nailing jews to the flagpolls. 

Liar.

17 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

I understand that.

You clearly don't. Your entire reply is based on you not understanding that. 

ME NO GET WHY YOU CAN"T COMPARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!  In fact you literally said that. When i said it was necessary for there to be common elements for a comparison you said no. 

That's what you said.  You have been arguing the whole time that two things don't have to have anything in common in order to say they're similar :)    LOL - it's so stupid, but that has been your claim. :)  

I said you can't compare the specific protests in the 70's with the occupations that are happening today because they're different entirely and you said that doesn't matter. 

LOL - well at least you're getting it now :)  

Liar.

Awww muffin - you mad that your heros are terrorists and jew-haters?

Ottawa police investigating complaints of hate speech at pro-Palestinian rally | CBC News

Comments at pro-Palestinian demonstration lead to hate crime investigation | CBC News

Protest on Parliament Hill in Ottawa openly cheers for Hamas attacks | Toronto Sun

There's dozens of other news reports,  the protesters on and off campus (largely the same people) have been cheering on the oct 7th attacks and calling for death to the jews. 

Sowwwwieeee  little guy :)   - you're totally on the wrong side of history here.  It's not the first time hate filled mobs have demanded to seize power with the hopes of killing jews. and history doesn't look kindly on the last bunch either.