Canadian Flag Pledge

auscan

Hi,

I would like to hear from anyone who can remember the pledge we used to make to the Canadian flag during "morning exercises" at school in the 60's and 70's. I distinctly remember after entering class, singing 'God Save the Queen', reciting a quick quote from the Bible, and then saluting the Flag and saying something like " I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to which...." or something along those lines. Anyone else in the forum that remembers this and can tell me the pledge? I have checked the maple leaf web site and it states there is no recognized pledge. But we did this for years at school. I am from Alberta. Was this unique to our schools?

Hope someone can help. Regards

Auscan,

Don't know if this is the plege to the flag you are refering to but this is the "unofficial" pledge to the flag that's been around for years.

PLEDGE TO THE CANADIAN FLAG

To my Flag and to the country it represents, I pledge RESPECT and LOYALTY.

Wave with PRIDE from sea to sea and within your folds, keep us ever UNITED.

Be for all a symbol of LOVE, FREEDOM and JUSTICE.

God keep our FLAG.

God protect our CANADA.

-CES

Hi,

I would like to hear from anyone who can remember the pledge we used to make to the Canadian flag during "morning exercises" at school in the 60's and 70's. I distinctly remember after entering class, singing 'God Save the Queen', reciting a quick quote from the Bible, and then saluting the Flag and saying something like " I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to which...." or something along those lines. Anyone else in the forum that remembers this and can tell me the pledge? I have checked the maple leaf web site and it states there is no recognized pledge. But we did this for years at school. I am from Alberta. Was this unique to our schools?

Hope someone can help. Regards

I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to who I pledge, my love and loyalty.

Maybe it was an Alberta thing, I don't remember doing that in the Ontario days of my education. And I'm a much more recent grad than the 60's or 70's. :D

Auscan,

Don't know if this is the plege to the flag you are refering to but this is the "unofficial" pledge to the flag that's been around for years.

God keep our FLAG.

God protect our CANADA.

-CES

Hi Canuck,

It isn't the one I remember, but it is the one that my girlfriend from Toronto remembers. Perhaps Alberta tweaked theirs. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the response.

Auscan

Auscan,

God keep our FLAG.

God protect our CANADA.

-CES

Hi Canuck,

It isn't the one I remember, but it is the one that my girlfriend from Toronto remembers. Perhaps Alberta tweaked theirs. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the response.

Auscan

Auscan, I have it posted above, thats word for word the Alberta pledge to the flag. Apparently they still do it, I ran this by the younger siblings.

Auscan,

God keep our FLAG.

God protect our CANADA.

-CES

Hi Canuck,

Auscan

Auscan, I have it posted above, thats word for word the Alberta pledge to the flag. Apparently they still do it, I ran this by the younger siblings.

Pledge to the Canadian flag

The National Flag of Canada

Proportions and Description of the flag

Birth of the Canadian flag

The Making of the Canadian flag

First "Canadian flags"

Elements of the flag

You were asking...

Ceremonial Dress Flag

Dipping the flag

Colour specifications

Pledge to the flag

Half-masting of flags

Commercial use

Flag Etiquette in Canada

There is no official pledge to the Canadian flag; however, there are no laws or statutes which prevent an association or an individual from adopting a form which will suit the purposes.

I went to school in Alberta and there was no pledge at any level.

They did play O Canada over the intercom every day in grade school, we were encouraged to sing but nobody did.

More recently, my son had a teacher who obliged them to say the Lords Prayer every day. That lasted about 3 weeks, until we discovered it and put an abrupt end to it.

• 3 years later...
Guest ranger
I went to school in Alberta and there was no pledge at any level.

They did play O Canada over the intercom every day in grade school, we were encouraged to sing but nobody did.

More recently, my son had a teacher who obliged them to say the Lords Prayer every day. That lasted about 3 weeks, until we discovered it and put an abrupt end to it.

I certainly remember in the 60's lining up outside our classroom in the hall every morning in our "public" Edmonton school . We recited the Lords Prayer, sang "o Canada", or God save the Queen and we recited " I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to who( it is not a person) I pledge my love and loyalty". We also sang on Fridays "The Maple Leaf Forever". After reading Fellowtraveller's response, I understand a little more what is wrong with todays youth. I long for those simpler times.

God keep our FLAG.

God protect our CANADA.

How... foreign. We never had such a thing when I was in school through the 80s. I'm rather glad it isn't around much anymore, in that form anyway; when one thinks about it, it's pointless to claim loyalty to a piece of cloth and the terrain it represents, both inanimate objects that can't promise anything in return.

I recall Singing God Save the Queen, Oh Canada....vaguely remember a pledge....and the Lord's Prayer.

We had to assume the praying position for the prayer, at our desks, heads bowed, eyes closed and hands in the streotypcal praying position.

I would keep one eye open looking for jesus.

I recall Singing God Save the Queen, Oh Canada....vaguely remember a pledge....and the Lord's Prayer.

We had to assume the praying position for the prayer, at our desks, heads bowed, eyes closed and hands in the streotypcal praying position.

It was the same in New Brunswick, Oh Canada, God Save the Queen and I think we sometimes substituted a moment of silence for the Lord's Prayer.

No pledge to the flag though, this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing. Granted I wasn't around in the 60's and missed most of the 70's also.

I actually laughed out lout at this.

My dad used to tell the story of how he used to look around during the Lord's Prayer, and one time the girl next time shouted "His eyes were open during the prayer!" My dad got in trouble, but the teacher didn't seem to have the wits to figure out that the girl must have been looking too.

I recall being in Kindergarten in BC (that would have been 1977) and the Lord's Prayer being recited. By the time I got into grade 1 it had been dropped, but Oh Canada was sung every morning until I was probably in grade three or grade four. After that, the only time the anthem was sung was special events.

Edited by ToadBrother

I understand a little more what is wrong with todays youth. I long for those simpler times.

No doubt the old fogies in the 60's were just as convinced our generation would be the one that carried the world to hell in a hand basket. Of course its a hand basket because it gets handed from one generation to the next. Its always been that way.

As for pining for simpler times, the more things change the more they stay the same.

How... foreign. We never had such a thing when I was in school through the 80s. I'm rather glad it isn't around much anymore, in that form anyway; when one thinks about it, it's pointless to claim loyalty to a piece of cloth and the terrain it represents, both inanimate objects that can't promise anything in return.

I agree, anachronistic patriotism, should be left forever in the last century...I went through all that crap as a kid and refused to sing god save the queen, o Canada, prey or salute the flag...school principal wasn't impressed but there was nothing he could do about it...to many millions of people have been killed in the name of petty nationalism....

my youngest tells me he only sings O Canada on assembly days now...

As someone not born in the 60s I've never actually heard this before. In my public school we sang O'Canada in both french and english followed by morning announcements. It funny though if someone tried to bring back your pledges there would be an uproar from mindless masses over "it's indoctrination" and such

The sophisticate in me looks down my nose at the thought of reciting such pledges.

On the other hand... they are a way of creating a uniform sort of feeling of togetherness and a sense of loyalty and nationalism to a common nation, to a flag which represents that nation. Everyone feels the need to belong to something. And these sorts of exercises help instill in children the feeling that the belong to a place called Canada, and that it is worthy of their love and devotion.

And that is something which seems to be largely absent today.

Edited by Argus

I agree, anachronistic patriotism, should be left forever in the last century...I went through all that crap as a kid and refused to sing god save the queen, o Canada, prey or salute the flag..

Why do I not find it odd that someone so detached from his community that he boasts of knowing nothing about his city's politics or layout feels no particular affection for his nation either?

Really Arugs...so that explains why the last two Canada Day polls show patriotism as being higher than it has been in a long time. We have something to bring us together already. It's called O Canada.

Do you not realize that Canada Day was precisely designed for exactly that purpose? How old are you anyway? Surely old enough to remember what Dominion Day was like; a sleepy little holiday with no great fuss. Canada Day was created to replace it; a big, bold brassy, noisy patriotic celebration, the Fourth of July but in Canada, specifically designed during the era of fears for seperation, to produce a patriotic sort of love of nation - in Quebec. But, of course, they couldn't hold these big parties in Quebec and not in TROC so they let at least some of the money trickle out to other parts of Canada and produced cheeering, howling, flag-waving, painted faced patriots.

Of a sort.

People who live here love this country. I'm talking about polls taken in the lead up to Canada that show that canadians love this country and they aren't modest about it anymore. It's been two years in a row that it was shown now.

Let me quote Kennedy, who said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

What you're saying is you shouldn't show any loyalty or affection for a country unless you get something out of it. Swell attitude. Unfortunately, all too common. Few care about Canada beyond what they can get from it. Certainly a lot of immigrants seem to be that way.

The sophisticate in me looks down my nose at the thought of reciting such pledges.

On the other hand... they are a way of creating a uniform sort of feeling of togetherness and a sense of loyalty and nationalism to a common nation, to a flag which represents that nation. Everyone feels the need to belong to something. And these sorts of exercises help instill in children the feeling that the belong to a place called Canada, and that it is worthy of their love and devotion.

And that is something which seems to be largely absent today.

I agree, and admit to harbouring a certain amount of pride and homesickness when I see the Canadian flag while I'm abroad (yes, I even have one sewn on my backpack). But the concept of pledging loyalty to it just doesn't jive with my Canadian sense of patriotism; we all have and know the symbols that represent our country, but leave them as no more than that, rather than giving them an almost deified status. I see no issue with giving time to recognise the flag, but I could no more imagine giving allegiance to it than I could to the moose on the back of a quarter, or a bottle or maple syrup.