Canadian Flag Pledge

auscan

9 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

OK...would a person given to the conservation of tradition, decide Christmas should be...altered?

Christmas is celebrated in schools. The music...the decorations...the very mood of the students and school staff. 

The symbology of Oh Canada is what bothers you I assume? Why?

You disagree , OK

Who's tradition? Muslim? Jewish? Hindu? Sikhism? Shinto? You seem to forget or deny everyone going to school or living in Canada is not Christian.

Nope, Oh Canada does not bother me at all.  I just disagree with your assumption that singing it in schools will instill some sort of national pride.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

You disagree , OK

Who's tradition? Muslim? Jewish? Hindu? Sikhism? Shinto? You seem to forget or deny everyone going to school or living in Canada is not Christian.

Nope, Oh Canada does not bother me at all.  I just disagree with your assumption that singing it in schools will instill some sort of national pride.

Canada was colonized and literally built by Christians, in a time when religion played a much bigger role than it does today, in the lives of...Christians. Judaism also had a hand in this creation. These primary influences built the base of society here. 

Over 53% of Canadians still identify as Christian. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada

You think it is a good idea to attack and belittle Christmas...for all the measurable and visible good it does for the population...because the vast minority of newcomers and some assorted odd-ball reactionaries...MIGHT be offended by "good will to man"???

As for OH Canada...or any national anthem. The mere playing of the song daily did help build a Canadian identity and unity and actually singing the anthem only magnifies the effect. There are any number of studies into this. Look it up.

Edited by Nationalist

14 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Canada was colonized and literally built by Christians, in a time when religion played a much bigger role than it does today, in the lives of...Christians. Judaism also had a hand in this creation. These primary influences built the base of society here. 

Over 53% of Canadians still identify as Christian. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada

You think it is a good idea to attack and belittle Christmas...for all the measurable and visible good it does for the population...because the vast minority of newcomers and some assorted odd-ball reactionaries...MIGHT be offended by "good will to man"???

As for OH Canada...or any national anthem. The mere playing of the song daily did help build a Canadian identity and unity and actually singing the anthem only magnifies the effect. There are any number of studies into this. Look it up.

So, things and times change.

Nowadays, 47% are not christian.

Where did I attack Christmas?? Or was offended? All I said is that schools have stopped celebrating christmas. The rest of your paragraph is just stuff you made up.

Also, as I said, there is no singing of Oh Canada everyday in anything, let alone schools. As a matter of fact, pretty close to the only time you hear the national anthem any more is at a major sporting event.

Clearly the studies have resulted in zero.

I have no qualm with pledging allegiance to the flag. As a matter of fact, I would like to see that a lot more then our pledge now, which is to the King. When I joined the Military, I had to pledge to the Queen, not to my Country.

8 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So, things and times change.

Nowadays, 47% are not christian.

Where did I attack Christmas?? Or was offended? All I said is that schools have stopped celebrating christmas. The rest of your paragraph is just stuff you made up.

Also, as I said, there is no singing of Oh Canada everyday in anything, let alone schools. As a matter of fact, pretty close to the only time you hear the national anthem any more is at a major sporting event.

Clearly the studies have resulted in zero.

I have no qualm with pledging allegiance to the flag. As a matter of fact, I would like to see that a lot more then our pledge now, which is to the King. When I joined the Military, I had to pledge to the Queen, not to my Country.

Christmas is celebrated in schools.

Tradition is such for a reason. It ties people together. When you scratch and claw at them, you leave chaos in its wake. Look around you. We have an angred populous. Crime rising steadily. Extremities of society demanding asinine things...and getting them granted. Respect and honour...disappearing in our young.

This result is..."good"?

I don't buy the saying...things change... nor it is what it is.

It's wrong and I...like most humans...fix things that are broken.

We've broken our state...our society.

It's time to fix it.

22 hours ago, Moonbox said:

This is a necro of a 16 year old thread and likely a phishing attempt.  ?

How do people even find these things? This is from 2006 but was necroed in 2011, then again in 2015, and then in 2020. Now here it is again? Is there some list of old topics you can look into just to see if you want to start them up again?

57 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Christmas is celebrated in schools.

Tradition is such for a reason. It ties people together. When you scratch and claw at them, you leave chaos in its wake. Look around you. We have an angred populous. Crime rising steadily. Extremities of society demanding asinine things...and getting them granted. Respect and honour...disappearing in our young.

This result is..."good"?

I don't buy the saying...things change... nor it is what it is.

It's wrong and I...like most humans...fix things that are broken.

We've broken our state...our society.

It's time to fix it.

Whatever.  ?

6 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

How do people even find these things? This is from 2006 but was necroed in 2011, then again in 2015, and then in 2020. Now here it is again? Is there some list of old topics you can look into just to see if you want to start them up again?

Seek and ye shall find. This topic must still have relevance.

Clearly a thread that was necroed in 2006 and 2011 and 2015 and then in 2020 and now 2023 is still relevant.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 minute ago, I am Groot said:

Canada's.

Multi cultural Canada's.

Look, i am not pro or anti anything here, just saying how things are or seem to be.

I celebrate Christmas with my Christian family every year.

As this forum seems to reiterate often, Canada is changing. Some like it, some do not.

Edited by ExFlyer

14 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Multi cultural Canada's.

Look, i am not pro or anti anything here, just saying how things are or seem to be.

I celebrate Christmas with my Christian family every year.

As this forum seems to reiterate often, Canada is changing. Some like it, some do not.

Changes can be good. But not always. Forced changes rarely. Changes by government policy, almost never. In a sense, in the sense the Liberals use it, the Liberal party has been engaged in cultural genocide against English Canadians for the last fifty years.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Changes can be good. But not always. Forced changes rarely. Changes by government policy, almost never. In a sense, in the sense the Liberals use it, the Liberal party has been engaged in cultural genocide against English Canadians for the last fifty years.

All political parties, all governments, all politics make changes all the time. The last 50 years has been conservative and liberal governments.

Change also comes from the people within Canada.... cancel culture for example.

6 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

All political parties, all governments, all politics make changes all the time. The last 50 years has been conservative and liberal governments.

The last 50 years has mostly been Liberal governments set on destroying English Canada's culture, and in particular its historic cultural and institutional ties to the UK

6 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Change also comes from the people within Canada.... cancel culture for example.

That comes from the US. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The last 50 years has mostly been Liberal governments set on destroying English Canada's culture, and in particular its historic cultural and institutional ties to the UK

That comes from the US. 

21 of the last 50 years were conservative. So, OK, by 4 years.

Oh, are you saying the border stopped cancel culture from coming to Canada?? :)

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

It's just a search engine looking for something specific.  That's why I think it's spam/botting.  The poster obviously didn't read the previous posts, and hasn't responded since.  To me it couldn't be more obvious.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

21 of the last 50 years were conservative. So, OK, by 4 years.

The Liberals commited cultural genocide by their own definition. The tories under Mulroney were a Quebec run party and did nothing to reverse it. The Harper tories were all about tiny, itsy bitsy little steps and did little to reverse it.

36 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Oh, are you saying the border stopped cancel culture from coming to Canada?? :)

I believe I said exactly the opposite.

21 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The Liberals commited cultural genocide by their own definition. The tories under Mulroney were a Quebec run party and did nothing to reverse it. The Harper tories were all about tiny, itsy bitsy little steps and did little to reverse it.

I believe I said exactly the opposite.

So, both are to blame.

I did not read it that way, sorry. Thing is, cancel culture is here in Canada.

• 4 months later...