Biggest Lie You've Been Told

Perspektiv

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2023 at 11:41 PM, August1991 said:

I generally think that individuals are honest.

In my world, we get along. I trust others.

====

Religion and language have nothing to do with it.

I disagree insofar as people are self focused if not dishonest. 

Another computer tale:

I just bought it from you!
I sold the store and retired ten years ago.

went along with "It worked fine yesterday". As if things don't eventually break.

Why has no one mentioned the 3 biggest lies of all time?
- of course I love you
- the cheque's in the mail
- I promise not to ---- in your mouth

Edited by herbie

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

That is your opinion and nothing else. My paternal grandfather is a proven pedophile and sadist... and french catholic priest. How did being religious stop him from raping young girls?

I don't know and don't care but its irrelevant to my point which is there is no atheistic reason to refrain from raping young girls. 

4 hours ago, Yakuda said:

What answer? You didn't give one because there is no atheistic reason to not kill. 

Its called empathy. I would not like to be raped therefore I do not do it to others. No need to have some fictional god bossing us around. However, I know that you can't accept this answer. Your bias gets in the way. 

13 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Its called empathy. I would not like to be raped therefore I do not do it to others. No need to have some fictional god bossing us around. However, I know that you can't accept this answer. Your bias gets in the way. 

That's not atheistic. I would take you seriously if you weren't wrong about God. I choose to listen to God just like you have chosen not to. Yes if I ask you, "What time is it?" and you say, "Green" then I will struggle to accept because you either don't know what time it isnor you're just being obtuse. 

25 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

That's not atheistic. I would take you seriously if you weren't wrong about God. I choose to listen to God just like you have chosen not to. Yes if I ask you, "What time is it?" and you say, "Green" then I will struggle to accept because you either don't know what time it isnor you're just being obtuse. 

obfuscation does not help your case. There are reasons for not harming others that do not involve god or religion. Millions of atheistic folks are not committing a crime right now.. why? 

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

There are many reasons to be a good person that do not require fear of a mythical sky being. Social cohesion, for one.

Many? Ok give me an atheistic reason. Social cohesion? Why should I care about that as an atheist? You fear God a hell of a lot more than I do. 

53 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

obfuscation does not help your case. There are reasons for not harming others that do not involve god or religion. Millions of atheistic folks are not committing a crime right now.. why? 

It's not obfuscation its logic. Again give me an atheistic reason to not harm others. Why? They don't want to go jail. It's smart reason but hardly it's an atheistic reason. 

6 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I already stated it.. Its called empathy or the Golden Rule. I treat others how I want to be treated.. not all that complex. 

LMBO the golden rule, which you got from a society steeped in Judeo Christian traditions. So you only treat others nicely so that they'll treat you nicely and then you can yell at them when they don't. That does sound kind of atheistic. 

1 minute ago, Yakuda said:

LMBO the golden rule, which you got from a society steeped in Judeo Christian traditions. So you only treat others nicely so that they'll treat you nicely and then you can yell at them when they don't. That does sound kind of atheistic. 

Guess what.. the same ideas are found in civilizations that were not Judeo-Christian. How can that be? 

So in short.. no need to read the Bible in order to treat folks with respect. I have not raped or killed anyone in 46 years.. have had numerous opportunities if I was so inclined. Yet, have not even came close to acting up on it. You offer no realistic or honest explanations for this. 

27 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

Many? Ok give me an atheistic reason. Social cohesion? Why should I care about that as an atheist? You fear God a hell of a lot more than I do. 

Because behaviour that threatens social cohesion will be met with social sanction which is a far greater threat than the fear of punishment in the afterlife.

28 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

It's not obfuscation its logic. Again give me an atheistic reason to not harm others. Why? They don't want to go jail. It's smart reason but hardly it's an atheistic reason. 

WTF does "athetistic reason" even mean.

10 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Guess what.. the same ideas are found in civilizations that were not Judeo-Christian. How can that be? 

So in short.. no need to read the Bible in order to treat folks with respect. I have not raped or killed anyone in 46 years.. have had numerous opportunities if I was so inclined. Yet, have not even came close to acting up on it. You offer no realistic or honest explanations for this. 

It's irrelevant how many civilizations had it. The fact remains that you got that from a society steeped in that tradition. You also STILL haven't given us an atheistic reason not to take it kill someone. I did explain it, you don't want to go to jail. That hardly makes you virtuous 

2 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Because behaviour that threatens social cohesion will be met with social sanction which is a far greater threat than the fear of punishment in the afterlife.

WTF does "athetistic reason" even mean.

There is no atheistic reason to engage in social cohesion. 

It's rather simple, give me a reason from atheistic ideology why someone should give a s**t about social cohesion.

21 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

There is no atheistic reason to engage in social cohesion. 

No one understands your made-up terminology.

It's rather simple, give me a reason from atheistic ideology why someone should give a s**t about social cohesion.

I and others have told you, are you slow or something?

Edited by Black Dog

52 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

There is no atheistic reason to engage in social cohesion

Is there an atheistic reason to have social disruption?

I always thought atheism was an answer to a question about belief in gods.   Why would you think atheism has tenets, or prescribes views on social interaction?

• Like 1