Most Canadians want carbon tax reduced or killed: poll

CdnFox

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-carbon-tax-reduced-or-killed

A new Leger poll finds that a clear majority of Canadians want the carbon tax reduced or eliminated entirely — and that nearly everyone thinks that federal plans for “net zero” are unrealistic.

Of respondents, 55 per cent wanted the carbon tax reduced (18 per cent) or abolished (37 per cent), while 27 per cent were fine to keep it as-is. A mere 18 per cent said they agreed with the current strategy of raising carbon levies each year.

The Leger results are in line with a polling trend that’s often shown itself among Western populations: Citizens support action on climate change, but mostly don’t want to pay for it.

“When you just ask people, ‘Hey do you support all these great things?’ they’re tripping over themselves to say yes,” said Andrew Enns, executive vice-president with Leger.

With this latest poll, said Enns, the idea was to steer clear of vagaries on climate change and gauge opinion on “a very specific policy that has a very specific economic consequence.”

“And on that it’s a very clear, ‘I don’t want to pay more,’” he said.

• Like 1

This is basically an open net for Polievre.

This was justin's ONLY carbon plan.  And people now hate it. And it's due to go up again in a few months and remind everyone how much they hate it.

If polievre shows up with anything REMOTELY credible for climate change, then the libs last line of defense will have fallen and there will be no reason for anyone to favor the libs.

This is just another failed liberal snake oil program designed to LOOK like it does good while lining the govt's pockets with money

It was a ridiculous tax to begin with. For one it was domestic only, hampering our competitiveness. And for two, none of the money actually goes into green initiatives. It just gets funneled back to Canadians at a huge administrative cost

A green tax on imports that goes into actual research could accomplish something, but our carbon tax is nothing like that

35 minutes ago, herbie said:

The same results would be had from a poll to reduce or eliminate the GST or Income Tax too.

It doesn't mean anything.

Only that the carbon tax is exacerbating the current high cost of living in Canada.

Most Canadians also don't see the benefit from it.

What goals were achieved?

How does punishing the tax payers help fix the environment. 

Its a wasteful tax.

Sure, I would love my taxes to go down, but my argument for it wouldn't be as strong.

1 hour ago, Nexii said:

It was a ridiculous tax to begin with. For one it was domestic only, hampering our competitiveness. And for two, none of the money actually goes into green initiatives. It just gets funneled back to Canadians at a huge administrative cost

A green tax on imports that goes into actual research could accomplish something, but our carbon tax is nothing like that

Agreed.  And to be honest it's not even being funnelled back anymore very much, the vast majority do not get back what they put in and it's just going to general revenues.  It's just a tax.

1 hour ago, herbie said:

The same results would be had from a poll to reduce or eliminate the GST or Income Tax too.

It doesn't mean anything.

It means everything. This wasn't just a tax, this was the liberals climate plan. This is why THEY were better than the evil climate denying conservatives.

Now people realize the conservatives were right and the liberals were full of it and this has nothing to do with the climate. But i do appreciate your use of the usual liberal technique of trying to say "this means nothing" with any major issue they can't possibly argue against ;)

4 hours ago, CdnFox said:

climate plan.

Part of the issue. Those words are an oxymoron when stated by Trudeau.

Canada has been the worst G7 nation regarding its climate plan targets, since 2015. 

Its failed on hitting any of its incremental targets since 1990.

In fact, it's emissions are currently up. With a looming election, no better timing to be opportunistic in telling people that being taxed more on your fuel, could somehow prevent the forest fires you have experienced. The more weather calamities, the better for free advertising on that point.

All while countries like Russia, China and India continue to pollute heavily. We are just better at virtue signaling.

Reality check. Charge all you wish, people still need to farm food, deliver goods, and egads, make their way to work.

They also touted helping the middle class.

How? By doubling the cost of the average rent? By making an average house cost over a million? By making groceries cost so much that an 80$ grocery run only nets you a few items.

By the carbon tax costing you in unintended consequences more for your food.

"Putting money in Canadians pockets" 

Yeah sure, after pillaging their purses and wallets. The change goes in your pockets. How nice.

The liberal plan has been missing all of its targets, and essentially virtue signaling and shaming Canadians about it.

And we are still paying for it, because?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herbie said:

No. It shows that most people don't like taxes, as I pointed out.

Stating the obvious in any form doesn't constitute a poll worthy of significance. It draws it's own conclusion.

Well please fill us in, what does the carbon tax do for this nation...other than make everything cost more...

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Stating the obvious in any form doesn't constitute a poll worthy of significance. It draws it's own conclusion.

No, that's just you trying to downplay what a blow this is to trudeau and the libs. Their flagship environmental policy AND their cash cow for grabbing more taxes while promising to return the money just went up in smoke and it's going to be a disaster for them.

But i'm sure they appreciate your ardent if somewhat feeble efforts to do damage control on their behalf :)  

13 hours ago, herbie said:

Not liking, and being able to see how they are necessary are two vastly different things.

Don't like municipal taxes? But you like driving on good roads, having reliable public transportation and waste management services?

Federal taxes are no different, regarding the services that they can provide you with.

The carbon tax has failed to meet every single one of its targets. Its a failure. Emissions are up. Not down.

Its murky as to how its effective, other than a few woke talking points like "price on pollution". Yet, the government doesn't get penalized for missing its targets. Hypocritical much?

Why are tax payers punished and not those who produce fuel? Those who put unrealistic targets to phasing out antiquated fossil fuels in terms of vehicle technology?

"A price for pollution" is literally speaking to all Canadians as all are either directly or indirectly affected by this. 

You pay for it at the pump, in the grocery store and in any area that requires transportation of goods to get products to your home. Essentially, every area.

To offset that cost, instead of investing into more realistic or better initiatives, preferring to give money back to just about 11 million Canadians, when you have about 40 million being bent over to pay for it.

Again. No detailed evidence showing how this works for you.

Just shame and guilt tripping for even questioning it. 

"I hate noisy partners. Just bend over, and shut up. We don't use lube here at the Liberals. Its only supposed to feel good to me".

HTG some of you can't unbderstand the simplest things.

Nobody "Likes" taxes.

Therefore if you ask anyone about any tax if it should be reduced or eliminated, you already know what the results are going to show.
It's the same as taking a poll on "Do you want a cookie?"

I was going to crack "Take Statistics 101" but if you can't understand the above, you won't even qualify to take it.

Who wants carbon taxes reduced or killed is a no brainer.  If the conservatives stick to this, I am sure they will have a good chance in the next election.  That plus PP's plans to help fix the housing crisis.  He has announced what sounds like a good plan to start.  The Liberals have little to offer but more carbon taxes and I think I heard 300% increase in some particular tax which I can't recall what it was exactly.  Maybe someone remembers.

18 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The Liberals have little to offer but more carbon taxes and I think I heard 300% increase in some particular tax which I can't recall what it was exactly.  Maybe someone remembers.

Probably a tax or licence on AirBnb's.

I know, hooray right? 

Edited by eyeball

Can PP even lower housing prices that are out of control, my home has doubled in value in the last 5 years ...do the current home owners want home pricing lowered, and do we really think home owners want to take a loss on their homes when selling..

26 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Can PP even lower housing prices that are out of control, my home has doubled in value in the last 5 years ...do the current home owners want home pricing lowered, and do we really think home owners want to take a loss on their homes when selling..

Perhaps PP could bring Canadian mortgage holders more into line with mortgage holders in the US who are allowed to deduct mortgage interest from their income tax and where 30 year terms are more the norm than the 5 year terms we're used to.  Perhaps these measures could conserve home prices while also making them more affordable.

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

Perhaps PP could bring Canadian mortgage holders more into line with mortgage holders in the US who are allowed to deduct mortgage interest from their income tax and where 30 year terms are more the norm than the 5 year terms we're used to.  Perhaps these measures could conserve home prices while also making them more affordable.

That would be a start but i think this issue is more complicated someone is going to have to win and a lot are going to loose and i bet it is not the government or banks..

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

It's a nice idea but unfortunately it wouldn't solve anything. The more affordable you make homes, the higher their price will go in the current climate.

This is the most simple thing in the world - there are not enough homes. When there are not enough homes people are willing to pay every single penny they have to buy a home, and that drives the price higher.

So unlike the past, you can't fix it with 'first time buyer' programs, you can't fix it with tax breaks or anything like that. Anything you do to make it more affordable will almost immediately be absorbed by the market.

The ONLY solution that resolves it is built enough homes.  For Canada and to catch up on the backlog in a reasonable time that means that we have to build 500,000 new homes a year (of the proper types, they can't all be one bedroom), PLUS enough to cover any increase in immigration.

Right now we're not close to that - no other solution will have any impact other than that. That must be solved first

On 9/30/2023 at 8:12 AM, Perspektiv said:

Don't like municipal taxes? But you like driving on good roads, having reliable public transportation and waste management services?

Federal taxes are no different, regarding the services that they can provide you with.

The carbon tax has failed to meet every single one of its targets. Its a failure. Emissions are up. Not down.

Its murky as to how its effective, other than a few woke talking points like "price on pollution". Yet, the government doesn't get penalized for missing its targets. Hypocritical much?

I think that the federal government should simply tax CO2 emissions - and send any collected revenue to people in the province, or the provincial government.

At present, we have a 10 cent excise tax on each litre of gasoline. Tax CO2 the same way. 

====

These current methods to subsidy to EVs, battery producers, solar, windfarm, charging-points is a scam.

We want to reduce CO2 emissions? Tax them. Share the revenue. 

Edited by August1991

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

I think that the federal government should simply tax CO2 emissions - and send any collected revenue to people in the province, or the provincial government.

At present, we have a 10 cent excise tax on each litre of gasoline. Tax CO2 the same way. 

====

These current methods to subsidy to EVs, battery producers, solar, windfarm, charging-points is a scam.

We want to reduce CO2 emissions? Tax them. Share the revenue. 

I don't think taxing people like me will do a thing. I need a vehicle to work. 

An electric vehicle doesn't meet my needs, unless am willing to invest close to 100k in it (in terms of mileage, as I cover plenty).

We invested in an EV for brand image and it turned out to be a dud. Mileage is garbage for our market, so we had to buy another gas vehicle for deliveries and us the EV for short distance runs.

Any business would want a break from fuel costs.

But to punish us, those who keep your society humming along. Emergency workers (find me a hospital with a fleet of EVs, fire departments, police), and the like, is absolutely ridiculous.

You're just slapping your hardest working demographics, and giving the change to those you literally have increased the cost of living of, by upwards of 30 or more percent.

Genius.