CBC's damning retraction of an unsubstantiated non-scandal in Alberta

38 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

thats true.  It was specifically there because it was not commercially viable to provide service to huge parts of canada

It is now.  So why do we need it?

Because now it looks like private corporate broadcasters are struggling and may go the way of the dodo.

The slow death of legacy media

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-slow-death-of-legacy-media-2016-10

The Four Reasons Why Legacy Media is Struggling to Adjust

https://marketscale.com/industries/business-services/the-four-reasons-why-legacy-media-is-struggling-to-adjust/

Edited by eyeball

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Because now it looks like private corporate broadcasters are struggling and may go the way of the dodo.

Well first off, all that ad revenue that CBC sucks up at reduced prices because it can afford to will now be back on the market for the other for profit providers.  So that will help.

Second - if media in general is dying that means it's not particularly wanted or worth paying for. Soooo - why would we prop one up with tax dollars?

And third - none of that addresses the point that the CBC has become bias and it's not fair to ask people to pay for something that's actively working against their interests.

IF you COULD make an argument along those lines it would be MORE reasonable to spread some money amongst the private media companies out there rather than prop up the CBC.

12 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Blah blah blah bullshit bullshit -  There's nothing 'complex'  about it.

And it's very left wing of you to demand people understand other's point of view while being insulting and dismissive of others in the same breath.  In short - your position is "you must be tolerant of my ideas, while i am intolerant of you and your ilk".  Yeah - not how it works.

I think most conservatives would have welcomed the idea of being open and honest and having a rational discussion. But that's not the choice the liberals have made in general and as we can see from your post it's not the choice you have made personally either.

Your hypocrisy is of no interest to me.

The problem you'll run into is not that people like me are incapable of understanding where you're coming from - it's that we do.   And we'll start with wiping out the cbc. 

Ha!!!!

I copied and posted your post to AI and I asked AI to respond to it and that is what came out. Even AI realizes how much BS you are full of and came up with that response.  LOL LOL

9 hours ago, CdnFox said:

No, they turned out to be false and they said as much - no evidence they were ever true, they shouldn't have run the story, blah blah.  All well and good after the fact.

No, there were no email supporting the allegation that she tried to influence a case but there was lots of other evidence including her own statements. 

There's no vindication here, she was still found to have breached ethics. Some small part of the details, that there were emails, was retracted.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/cbc-news-retracts-report-alleging-email-interference-by-alberta-premier-s-office-1.6468815

The double standard here is that if CBC makes a minor mistake in the execution of a story, then the organization absolutely must need to be disbanded!

The constant liars and bottom feeders such as the rebel, true north, and such need to be defended at all costs of course.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:32 AM, ExFlyer said:

Show me a news organization, be it a newspaper, tv news, radio news or online news, let alone twitter, facebook etc that has not made a mistake, misquote, mislead?

Some print retractions, some admit mistake others do not. The ones that take ownership are far and few between.

I have to wonder if  the CBC political "mistakes" tend to go against one side more than the other.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The double standard here is that if CBC makes a minor mistake in the execution of a story, then the organization absolutely must need to be disbanded!

The constant liars and bottom feeders such as the rebel, true north, and such need to be defended at all costs of course.

The CBC gets a lot of taxpayer funding, Rebel News and True North do not. Big difference.

Just now, ironstone said:

I have to wonder if  the CBC political "mistakes" tend to go against one side more than the other.

Depends on what side you are on and what cycle Canadian politics are in.

CBC praised Harper too. CBC had good things to say about him and his choices for cabinet even though they were screwing things up, leaving secret files at girlfriends homes, taking housing funding even thought hey lived in Ottawa and so on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So we should just excuse the journalism of privately funded muckrakers and accept them as being as valid as professional organizations?

I don't agree.

You characterize them as muckrakers which is kind of harsh. We all have the choice to subscribe or not subscribe to any news source. We do not have a choice when it comes to funding the CBC, as well as others thanks to the Trudeau medial bailout fund.

I don't really follow Rebel News but I like True North. 

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time unfortunately. I can't vouch for Rebel, but can you point to examples where True North got the story totally wrong and had to retract it?

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I copied and posted your post to AI

i kinda wondered -  it was FAR more intelligent than you usually are

and I asked AI to respond to it and that is what came out.

It's pretty obvious that you modified it a little :)   But hey - maybe i'm wrong. Post a link to the AI you used specifically and i'll put it in and we'll see if we get the same thing out.

Or are you going to claim it's just some AI software on your computer? In which case YOU were the one who fed it  the base info so it STILL reflects your bias  :)

Sorry kid - either way you still look like an !diot :) 

13 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

i kinda wondered -  it was FAR more intelligent than you usually are

It's pretty obvious that you modified it a little :)   But hey - maybe i'm wrong. Post a link to the AI you used specifically and i'll put it in and we'll see if we get the same thing out.

Or are you going to claim it's just some AI software on your computer? In which case YOU were the one who fed it  the base info so it STILL reflects your bias  :)

Sorry kid - either way you still look like an !diot   :)

Point was and is, AI saw through your BS LOL

It was an AI I googled.

It looks to me that when artificial intelligence responds to your post and slams you, it is you that looks like an !diot LOL

11 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well first off, all that ad revenue that CBC sucks up at reduced prices because it can afford to will now be back on the market for the other for profit providers.  So that will help.

I doubt it.

Second - if media in general is dying that means it's not particularly wanted or worth paying for. Soooo - why would we prop one up with tax dollars?

Or like many industries it can't adapt profitably to the digital age.

And third - none of that addresses the point that the CBC has become bias and it's not fair to ask people to pay for something that's actively working against their interests.

Right, the propaganda conspiracy  ?

I think there's a better chance we'll get more slanted news from corporate news agencies that are horizontally integrated with conglomerates that also peddle things like fossil fuels, arms, pharmaceuticals etc.

IF you COULD make an argument along those lines it would be MORE reasonable to spread some money amongst the private media companies out there rather than prop up the CBC.

I'm not making that argument. I'd rather maintain the CBC.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Point was and is, AI saw through your BS LOL

LOL - no, as i pointed out it was entirely wrong and full of liberal bullshit :)

It was an AI I googled.

Ohh lookie - no link :)   Imagine that :)   Gee you wouldn't be lying at all would you? LOLOLOL!! 

It looks to me that when artificial intelligence responds to your post and slams you, it is you that looks like an !diot LOL

But it didn't.  :)   As i pointed out the whole thing was an epic fail, it's not complicated and the crap was typical leftie crap.  Which is what you get if you use an AI fed with typical leftie crap :)

So all it REALLY means is that you've learned how to use technology to bre wrong for you :) ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid - even with AI you're just too stupid for this conversation :)  

Just now, CdnFox said:

LOL - no, as i pointed out it was entirely wrong and full of liberal bullshit :)

Ohh lookie - no link :)   Imagine that :)   Gee you wouldn't be lying at all would you? LOLOLOL!! 

But it didn't.  :)   As i pointed out the whole thing was an epic fail, it's not complicated and the crap was typical leftie crap.  Which is what you get if you use an AI fed with typical leftie crap :)

So all it REALLY means is that you've learned how to use technology to bre wrong for you :) ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid - even with AI you're just too stupid for this conversation :)  

Ha Ha Ha now you are calling AI, artificial intelligence, a robot, full of BS because it sees through your donkey dung?? LOL LOL You are so funny!!!

I have no link, I told you, I just googled AI and took the first one. Sucks to be called out by AI eh?? LOL

You are such a monumental loser that you actually are picking a fight with AI. LOL  Artificial Intelligence robot calls you out and you argue with it?? I never said anything.

OMG, how much more of a loser can you actually be, arguing with AI.... Ha Ha Ha.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

I doubt it.

Why? It's going somewhere. OR do you 'doubt it' because it doesnt' fit your narrative?

You think that if the CBC shuts down people will just stop advertising?

Or like many industries it can't adapt profitably to the digital age.

Ummm no . That might be WHY it's not wanted - but that doesnt' change what i said at all. It's not "or".

Right, the propaganda conspiracy  

I know, right?  LOL - I mean, it's not like they just accused a right wing political leader of a crime there was no evidence for right during an election and then had to admit it was all made up AFTER the election which hurt her chances or anything!

Oh.  Wait.....

I think there's a better chance we'll get more slanted news from corporate news agencies that are horizontally integrated with conglomerates that also peddle things like fossil fuels, arms, pharmaceuticals etc.

Sure.  And if that's what the public wants that's what they'll pay for and that's what they'll get.  Hopefully smarter people will read from both "camps" and see the whole picture.

BUT - at least the public won't be paying for biases that they don't like.   IF fox news wants to be bias - that's between them and their viewers and advertizers.   But when the CBC is bias - they're robbing MY pocket to do it in order to be bias AGAINST my interests and that is NOT fair.

I'm not making that argument. I'd rather maintain the CBC.

You misunderstand. You DID make that argument. That's not in question.  The point was - if what you said was true then it would make less sense to keep the cbc and more sense to give money to independent media IF public funding of media is worth doing at all.

Just now, ExFlyer said:

Ha Ha Ha now you are calling AI, artificial intelligence, a robot, full of BS because it sees through your donkey dung??

LOL - this is priceless :)   It didn't "see through" anything - it just regurgitated nonsense it's seen liberals say.  Garbage in - garbage out :) 

But - having utterly failed in your attempts to debate me repeatedly you are now trying to claim that AI is some sort of champion which has defended your incompetence!!! LOLOL!!!!   " I can't beat you, but my AI can! ANd maybe my dad too!! Yeah!!!"  

Holy shit - you don't see how sad that is? :)  LOL 

I will say this is an amusing twist on your usual hissy fits :)   But it's still a hissy fit  :)  

Kid - you published a bunch of garbage and clearly you modified it if you got it from an AI at all, Which i doubt - as you refuse to say which AI it was so that we can duplicate the output :) 

The only thing this proves is that you can use technology to be stupid more efficiently :)  

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

LOL - this is priceless :)   It didn't "see through" anything - it just regurgitated nonsense it's seen liberals say.  Garbage in - garbage out :) 

But - having utterly failed in your attempts to debate me repeatedly you are now trying to claim that AI is some sort of champion which has defended your incompetence!!! LOLOL!!!!   " I can't beat you, but my AI can! ANd maybe my dad too!! Yeah!!!"  

Holy shit - you don't see how sad that is? :)  LOL 

I will say this is an amusing twist on your usual hissy fits :)   But it's still a hissy fit  :)  

Kid - you published a bunch of garbage and clearly you modified it if you got it from an AI at all, Which i doubt - as you refuse to say which AI it was so that we can duplicate the output :) 

The only thing this proves is that you can use technology to be stupid more efficiently :)  

You are actually arguing with me over what a robot said to you?? How sad are you? LOL

EDIT: I cannot believe how egotistical and shallow you can be, WOW!!!

Edited by ExFlyer

6 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Why? It's going somewhere. OR do you 'doubt it' because it doesnt' fit your narrative?

You think that if the CBC shuts down people will just stop advertising?

I think the ad revenue you're talking about is mice nuts.

Ummm no . That might be WHY it's not wanted - but that doesnt' change what i said at all. It's not "or".

You meant the media when you said it didn't you - you weren't specifying the cbc.

I know, right?  LOL - I mean, it's not like they just accused a right wing political leader of a crime there was no evidence for right during an election and then had to admit it was all made up AFTER the election which hurt her chances or anything!

Oh.  Wait.....

If any political party can make the cbc do what it want when its in power we should do something about it.  I've said many times how to deal with the lack of transparency in our governance to allay fears that things are being manipulated illegally or unethically. 

Sure.  And if that's what the public wants that's what they'll pay for and that's what they'll get.  Hopefully smarter people will read from both "camps" and see the whole picture.

BUT - at least the public won't be paying for biases that they don't like.   IF fox news wants to be bias - that's between them and their viewers and advertizers.   But when the CBC is bias - they're robbing MY pocket to do it in order to be bias AGAINST my interests and that is NOT fair.

Everyone has a bullshit filter. But as I'll say again, over and over and over again...lets do something about tightening up the ridiculously lax way we make our government transparent and accountable .

You misunderstand. You DID make that argument. That's not in question.  The point was - if what you said was true then it would make less sense to keep the cbc and more sense to give money to independent media IF public funding of media is worth doing at all.

Not in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

ROFLMAO - no, i'm laughing at you for thinking a robot could win your fights when you couldn't :)  It's pretty hilarious :)  

Me, worry about a robot calling you out?? That is the funniest thing you said so far.

I cannot change what the robot said about you. Suck it up sweetie, you been called out by a robot, not me or any other poster there.  AI said you are a loser.... "It's pretty hilarious :)  "

On 7/12/2023 at 12:47 AM, RedDog said:

The CBC is irrelevant and should be shut down. Government broadcasting is something I associate with China or the Soviet Union 

Those countries do not have public broadcasters as we understand the term. Come to think of it, China doesn’t have any opposition politicians to apologize to and Putin’s critics have a tendency to fall out of windows or eat something that doesn’t agree with them. At least let’s avoid melodramatic comparisons with dreadful alternatives. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I think the ad revenue you're talking about is mice nuts.

It's 3-4 hundred million a year.  That's not 'mice nuts'.

You meant the media when you said it didn't you - you weren't specifying the cbc.T

Yes - it was a response to your claim that the media in general (not just cbc) is suffering.

If any political party can make the cbc do what it want when its in power we should do something about it. 

We ARE going to do something about it. We're going to take away every cent of public funding.

Everyone has a bullshit filter. But as I'll say again, over and over and over again...lets do something about tightening up the ridiculously lax way we make our government transparent and accountable .

Getting rid of their state funded propaganda wing and opening the door to more investigative journalism and legitimate criticism certainly seems like a good place to start.

Not in my opinion.

Well then you should have pushed for more positive changes before it got to this point.

Now - we're done. People are getting sick of it, and they will elect PP and he will defund the CBC.

Liberals have a bad habit of allowing abuses and corruption to continue and refuse to do anything about it when they're in power but the moment the other guy gets in power and says "that's it - we're fed up" then it's  "wait - lets be reasonable and talk about it!!!! "

Nope. The cbc is done and that's the end of that.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:58 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Ah yes... shut down the CBC because they made a mistake.  Paint nation sponsorship in media as being Soviet when pretty much every country does it.

Cancel Culture at its worst, and not just to fire an addled hockey commentator but to ensure that corporate media owns all broadcasting...

No. Shut them down because it’s not a mandate of government.