Toronto school board shuns merit in the name of equity . Racial lottery system for specialty programs is unlikely to improve fairness

https://archive.ph/lDS6l

White, South Asian and East Asian students in Toronto seem to be a problem for Canada’s largest public school board. They crowd the merit-based specialty education programs offered by the district. 
The response from the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) to this overrepresentation has been to axe merit-based admissions and opt for a semi-random lottery system that discriminates based on race. Now, one-fifth of seats in Toronto’s public specialty programs are reserved for Black, Middle Eastern, Latin American and Indigenous students.
Of TDSB’s 230,000-or-so students, at least some have been denied education opportunities due to their race, which would have been unthinkable in Canada 10 years ago. It should be unthinkable now, but between the rise of formal diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and the general disinterest the public has in education, it’s creeped its way in. 

So this will probably end well and won't in any way increase racial tensions.

No, it won't stop why would it? The bureaucrats just figured out that it's up to them to build the bright new and shining world of tomorrow and importantly, they can because there's nothing there to stop them not even your elected" boards or common sense, believe it or not.

Rings any bells.. eh? Good luck!

Edited by myata

13 hours ago, CdnFox said:

https://archive.ph/lDS6l

White, South Asian and East Asian students in Toronto seem to be a problem for Canada’s largest public school board. They crowd the merit-based specialty education programs offered by the district. 
The response from the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) to this overrepresentation has been to axe merit-based admissions and opt for a semi-random lottery system that discriminates based on race. Now, one-fifth of seats in Toronto’s public specialty programs are reserved for Black, Middle Eastern, Latin American and Indigenous students.
Of TDSB’s 230,000-or-so students, at least some have been denied education opportunities due to their race, which would have been unthinkable in Canada 10 years ago. It should be unthinkable now, but between the rise of formal diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and the general disinterest the public has in education, it’s creeped its way in. 

So this will probably end well and won't in any way increase racial tensions.

This can be classified as a "bad" decision. 

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

This can be classified as a "bad" decision. 

Yes, it can.

Here's the problem those on the left never get - once you say 'racism is ok when we do it', then what people wind up thinking is 'racism is ok'.  You can't just keep it to "the racism i like is ok your racism is bad". Either racism is ok or it isn't.

So we're going to go through a period of racism again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yes, it can.

Here's the problem those on the left never get - once you say 'racism is ok when we do it', then what people wind up thinking is 'racism is ok'.  You can't just keep it to "the racism i like is ok your racism is bad". Either racism is ok or it isn't.

So we're going to go through a period of racism again.

The more they try to adjust to meet their desires, the more they screw everything up.

This "new normal" is destructive and really just sucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

The more they try to adjust to meet their desires, the more they screw everything up.

This "new normal" is destructive and really just sucks.

Well this is my concern.  I feel like their goal isn't to solve a problem but rather to get noticed and feel relevant.

Lots of children behave like this. They want attention so they act out and behave badly trying desperately to get the attention they want. @ExFlyer is like that, he trashes threads whenever he thinks i'm "winning" an argument with him because he can't cope and wants attention. He's doing it right now with two threads.

So - the question becomes, are we really solving a problem or are we simply rewarding childish behavior - because if it turns out to be the latter then all we're doing is making it worse and encouraging MORE discord.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

..... @ExFlyer is like that, he trashes threads whenever he thinks i'm "winning" an argument with him because he can't cope and wants attention. .....

Winning??? You win??? Ha Ha Ha Chuckle, LOL :)

You never win an argument. You feebleness only comes out with your repetitive nonsense LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

44 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Winning??? You win??? Ha Ha Ha Chuckle, LOL :)

Ooops = triggered leftie is triggered :)

Sorry kid - it's pretty obvious it's a defense mechanism. You feel stupid - so you do something stupid to try to distract. IT's not like you can make a logical argument  :) 

44 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You never win an argument. You feebleness only comes out with your repetitive nonsense LOL

Says the guy who follows me around going "yup ok" 10 times in a row on demand :) ROFLMAO!!!!

Yeah- sorry kid, i think you kind of blew any chance at the 'repetitive nonsense' argument with that :)  But hey - it's always fun to watch the monkey's dance so you keep doing you :) 

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

You tagged him into this thread, you donkey.  

Of course -he's hilarious :) 

I mean you're funny - but you're just kind of slow.  He actually performs on command :) and he always knows to come when you call. it's like having your own pet monkey

Edited by CdnFox

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well this is my concern.  I feel like their goal isn't to solve a problem but rather to get noticed and feel relevant.

Lots of children behave like this. They want attention so they act out and behave badly trying desperately to get the attention they want. @ExFlyer is like that, he trashes threads whenever he thinks i'm "winning" an argument with him because he can't cope and wants attention. He's doing it right now with two threads.

So - the question becomes, are we really solving a problem or are we simply rewarding childish behavior - because if it turns out to be the latter then all we're doing is making it worse and encouraging MORE discord.

Meh...a lot of people have an issue with admitting when they're wrong. I get dragged into all sorts of childish behaviour. I'm a racist, bigoted, white supremacist, Putin puppet apparently. The worst kind for sure... ;)

I think @ExFlyer is trying to straddle the middle ground, not realizing the middle ground is about nonexistent now. The "Centrist"...as @Contrarian likes to fancy himself...is a dying bread. People are afraid to cross either line to support one position or another. The extremities have taken over. Look at the political landscape today. We have Pixie-Dust Vs. Singh Vs. PP. Down south they are facing an election between a TV star and a bumbling fool.

Bottom line...unless someone with less ego and more common sense manages to reach a leadership position...things are gonna be strange...to say the least.

Edited by Nationalist

Just now, Nationalist said:

Meh...a lot of people have an issue with admitting when they're wrong. I get dragged into all sorts of childish behaviour. I'm a racist, bigoted, white supremacist, Putin puppet apparently. The worst kind for sure... ;)

Meh - we all get going at one point or another - but he's special when he gets wound up :)

I mean i see you getting angry and standing your ground and making your arguments from time to time but i don't see you posting yup ok whenever someone tells you to a dozen times in a row.  that's just weird.

I think @ExFlyerFlyer is trying to straddle the middle ground, not realizing the middle ground is about nonexistent now.

I think he's what's called 'left of center', but he gets insanely frustrated if he runs into a logic corner and can't get out.

People are afraid to cross either line to support one position or another.

Sure - and people are rarely as 'centrist' as they think anyway.  It's usually more accurate to say they're left of center for some issues and right of center for others.  But nowadays with tribalism being what it is that's a good way to get attacked. I've been called everything here from a nazi to an ndp shill :)

The extremities have taken over. Look at the political landscape today. We have Pixie-Dust Vs. Singh Vs. PP. Down south they are facing an election between a TV star and a bumbling fool.

Bottom line...unless someone with less ego and more common sense manages to reach a leadership position...things are gonna be strange...to say the least.

Politics is always downstream of culture.  A leader such as that cannot be elected unless that's what the people want, it doesn't go the other way around.

America was already heading down that path and they have before - but justin trudeau dragged canada into it hard, and after covid there's no putting humpty together again i'm afraid. We are now a nation divided and polarized.

22 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Of course -he's hilarious :) 

I mean you're funny - but you're just kind of slow.  He actually performs on command :) and he always knows to come when you call. it's like having your own pet monkey

The Most Influential Pop-Rock Band Ever? The Monkees ...

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Meh - we all get going at one point or another - but he's special when he gets wound up :)

I mean i see you getting angry and standing your ground and making your arguments from time to time but i don't see you posting yup ok whenever someone tells you to a dozen times in a row.  that's just weird.

I think he's what's called 'left of center', but he gets insanely frustrated if he runs into a logic corner and can't get out.

Sure - and people are rarely as 'centrist' as they think anyway.  It's usually more accurate to say they're left of center for some issues and right of center for others.  But nowadays with tribalism being what it is that's a good way to get attacked. I've been called everything here from a nazi to an ndp shill :)

Politics is always downstream of culture.  A leader such as that cannot be elected unless that's what the people want, it doesn't go the other way around.

America was already heading down that path and they have before - but justin trudeau dragged canada into it hard, and after covid there's no putting humpty together again i'm afraid. We are now a nation divided and polarized.

It is odd...that's for sure. But on the other hand...I have been guilty of egging on robo-bot more than once. Meh...I chose Bugs Bunny as an avatar for a reason...

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

It is odd...that's for sure. But on the other hand...I have been guilty of egging on robo-bot more than once. Meh...I chose Bugs Bunny as an avatar for a reason...

Baiting Robo-dolt is like hunting cattle with a high powered rifle and scope.

Americana Antifa is another one - nothing more satisfying than getting her so flustered she meme's at you :)   But seriously she's the open net of internet posters.

There's lots of people here who swing left or right that you can have decent conversations with, but some are just basically target practice.

37 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yet we can type one-liners to elicit multi-paragraph rants about how intimidating you are and how crushed and dejected you've decided your opponents are. 

Hate to tell you, but you're the one performing on-queue.  ?

Edited by Moonbox
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I think @ExFlyer is trying to straddle the middle ground, not realizing the middle ground is about nonexistent now. The "Centrist"...as @Contrarian likes to fancy himself...is a dying bread. People are afraid to cross either line to support one position or another. The extremities have taken over. Look at the political landscape today. We have Pixie-Dust Vs. Singh Vs. PP. Down south they are facing an election between a TV star and a bumbling fool.

There is no middle ground. The ones with the most social media presence wins.

As of right now, there is no leader in Canada.

15 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

There is no middle ground. The ones with the most social media presence wins.

Which is a lot of our problems. Social media is full of wild-eyed ideas that get adopted by governments.

17 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

As of right now, there is no leader in Canada.

No leader here...no leader in the USA...can't speak for England...France has a Macron...and orgs like the WHO are trying to fill the void with their version of global authority. In the meantime...we bicker about nonsense while these pricks pull the rug out from under us.

Keep ur eye on the ball man.

30 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Baiting Robo-dolt is like hunting cattle with a high powered rifle and scope.

Americana Antifa is another one - nothing more satisfying than getting her so flustered she meme's at you :)   But seriously she's the open net of internet posters.

There's lots of people here who swing left or right that you can have decent conversations with, but some are just basically target practice.

LOL...you slay me...

Ya taking advantage of some of these Libbies is sort o' simple. But @ExFlyer has a point. Policy seems to go wherever the social media screamers go. Our "leaders" have abdicated their responsibilities to global organizations. NATO...UN...WHO...WEF...you know...the people who care...

I wanna see Trump...or someone...tell these organizations to go suck rocks.

Edited by Nationalist

18 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

LOL...you slay me...

Ya taking advantage of some of these Libbies is sort o' simple. But @ExFlyer has a point. Policy seems to go wherever the social media screamers go. Our "leaders" have abdicated their responsibilities to global organizations. NATO...UN...WHO...WEF...you know...the people who care...

I wanna see Trump...or someone...tell these organizations to go suck rocks

Well trump certainly did tell a few orgs and countries and media personalities etc to suck rocks from time to time.

But like i said, politics is always downstream of culture.  Politics can INFLUENCE culture but mostly it's a reflection of it. With people being so tribal that's all politiicans focus on these days - basically exploiting that tendency in people

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well trump certainly did tell a few orgs and countries and media personalities etc to suck rocks from time to time.

But like i said, politics is always downstream of culture.  Politics can INFLUENCE culture but mostly it's a reflection of it. With people being so tribal that's all politiicans focus on these days - basically exploiting that tendency in people

And look who the influencers are...we're fcked...