Are You Woke?

Are You Woke?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Contrarian said:

Pros:

1. Promotes social justice: "Woke" culture seeks to raise awareness of and address social injustices, including racism, sexism, and discrimination against marginalized groups.
  2. Encourages diversity and inclusivity: By valuing and promoting diversity, "woke" culture fosters a more inclusive society where all individuals feel welcome and respected.
  3. Spurs progress and change: By challenging the status quo, "woke" culture encourages progress and change towards a more just and equitable society.

Cons:

1. Can be divisive: "Woke" culture can create an us vs. them mentality, leading to division and polarization among groups with differing opinions.
  2. Can stifle free speech: "woke" culture may lead to censorship and suppression of free speech, particularly when controversial topics are involved.
  3. Can lead to cancel culture: "Woke" culture can lead to "cancel culture," where individuals or groups who express opinions deemed offensive or problematic are ostracized or punished.

Source: Google ? + a Grammar App, you need perfect English in such a debate.

That's too favorable for Woke. 

The definition below is more accurate and true to the spirit of what "Woke" really is. 

Woke, "adjective (woker, wokest) informal alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism: we need to stay angry, and stay woke; does being woke mean I have to agree with what all other woke folks say should be done about issues in the black community? the West Coast has the wokest dudes. 1960s: originally in African American usage" (OED).

To be "woke" stems from the Age of Enlightenment, when "enlightened" atheists rejected God, challenged the Divine Right of Kings, and started the calendar over at the Year 1. By the 1920s and 1930s, "enlightened" Nazis regarded God and Jesus Christ as a "Jewish conspiracy" that even Jews and Marxists did not believe in. Woke "knowledge" is esoteric, for example holding firm the maxim that "religion is the opiate of the masses." So once a "true believer" casts off the opiate, they become "woke" or "enlightened." David Greenfield describes it as "a cultish term for a political cult that reframes extremism as a revelation."

In modern America, leftists often use the term to refer to a person unquestioningly accepting a radical political doctrine viewing society in terms of "white privilege." Just as Christians who find inner peace by accepting Jesus Christ into their lives are called "born again", some people who feel great anger at society because of what they feel is social injustice are called "woke." In truth, however, those on the Left who claim to be "woke" (which is incidentally an improper use of English) are actually the exact opposite - stupefied and dulled to the truth instead of being awakened.

Edited by Deluge
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Masks are work?

Masks are woke in the sense that wearing a mask protects others from your POSSIBLE contagion without symptoms.

Personally I strongly prefer a MUCH BETTER mask that protects BOTH others AND MYSELF.

Of course ^this mostly applies only in the midst of a pandemic of a deadly disease.

5 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Masks are woke in the sense that wearing a mask protects others from your POSSIBLE contagion without symptoms.

Personally I strongly prefer a MUCH BETTER mask that protects BOTH others AND MYSELF.

Of course ^this mostly applies only in the midst of a pandemic of a deadly disease.

Masks are like a secret code to alert Covid enforcement that you're part of the hive. 

"A wise man is aware of how little they know."

Woke culture goes against this humility that governed such awareness.

Someone telling me how woke that they are, likely will be regurgitating talking points, and likely doesn't know how to think for themselves. Precisely what I hate about woke culture.

Take such people out of their box, and they lose their marbles. Often turn physically or verbally violent.

Since grade school I have been obsessed about knowledge, sociology and political  history.

But I knew talking points weren't enough. I traveled, and truly started to see all the lies I had been told my entire life. Saw the world differently. 

"The diameter of your knowledge, is the circumference of your activity."

I hear most woke people spewing talking points. Taken out of their element ate lost.

Being woke is what all should strive for. But the essence of the word, the awareness.

Woke culture is about SJW slacktivism on behalf of others. People with nothing going in their lives, finding purpose with being angry about everything, again, on behalf of others. The epitome of privilege. The irony.

4 hours ago, robosmith said:

My P100 custom mask kept me from getting COVID before the vaccine despite flying 30+ hours to/in/from Egypt during the height of the pandemic.

I wore a mask only where required and then I threw it in the trash the second I was outside. The freedom from the mask was delicious. 

2 minutes ago, Rebound said:

If you get through a week without redefining the word “woke,” wake me up and let me know what it is. 

Exactly.  It's impossible to answer the question without first finding out what the one asking it defines as woke.

And there seem to be as many definitions as questioners.

8 minutes ago, Deluge said:

We already know what "woke" is, so that won't be necessary. 

You may continue with your stupid nap. ;)

Is it this:

21 hours ago, Contrarian said:
  • Promotes social justice: "Woke" culture seeks to raise awareness of and address social injustices, including racism, sexism, and discrimination against marginalized groups.
  • Encourages diversity and inclusivity: By valuing and promoting diversity, "woke" culture fosters a more inclusive society where all individuals feel welcome and respected.
  • Spurs progress and change: By challenging the status quo, "woke" culture encourages progress and change towards a more just and equitable society.

3 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Woke me up when you figure out how to speak directly instead of telling me I understand your stupid dog whistles. 

So let's talk about it. 

In what part of my messages do you feel I'm being indirect?

Edited by Deluge

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Is it this:

Wrong. 

It's this:

Woke, "adjective (woker, wokest) informal alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism: we need to stay angry, and stay woke; does being woke mean I have to agree with what all other woke folks say should be done about issues in the black community? the West Coast has the wokest dudes. 1960s: originally in African American usage" (OED).

To be "woke" stems from the Age of Enlightenment, when "enlightened" atheists rejected God, challenged the Divine Right of Kings, and started the calendar over at the Year 1. By the 1920s and 1930s, "enlightened" Nazis regarded God and Jesus Christ as a "Jewish conspiracy" that even Jews and Marxists did not believe in. Woke "knowledge" is esoteric, for example holding firm the maxim that "religion is the opiate of the masses." So once a "true believer" casts off the opiate, they become "woke" or "enlightened." David Greenfield describes it as "a cultish term for a political cult that reframes extremism as a revelation."

In modern America, leftists often use the term to refer to a person unquestioningly accepting a radical political doctrine viewing society in terms of "white privilege." Just as Christians who find inner peace by accepting Jesus Christ into their lives are called "born again", some people who feel great anger at society because of what they feel is social injustice are called "woke." In truth, however, those on the Left who claim to be "woke" (which is incidentally an improper use of English) are actually the exact opposite - stupefied and dulled to the truth instead of being awakened.

3 minutes ago, Deluge said:

Wrong. 

It's this:

So, @Rebound was right then.  There are lots of definitions.  I've seen two posters with two definitions.   I'm sure there are more.  Useless question in the OP.

Edited by bcsapper