Federal Dental Care vs Tax Cut

55 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1.  The solution is some kind of redistribution.

2. Giving low income people, especially their kids, free dental sounds good, but doesn't actually address the problem because the feds aren't taxing the rich to pay for it, they're just adding to the debt.  This has been their solution to most economic problems since elected.  They are solving one problem by creating another.  The political cost of adding to the debt is low because then it becomes the problem of future generations to pay for it instead of the rich right now.

1. It could be handled by the market.  For example, if people refused to deal with companies who didn't pay a living wage and took excess profits ...

2. They never fix the other one though... so you can have kids with nice teeth and kick the problem down the road or kids with bad teeth and kick the problem down the road.

43 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It could be handled by the market.  For example, if people refused to deal with companies who didn't pay a living wage and took excess profits ...

I think that's a bit naive.  Not only would it require people to deeply research the companies whose products and services they buy, we're also supposing they'll pay more when we have 60-70 years to prove how much they care their clothes come from sweatshops.  

Unless I misunderstood, I think Moonlight is actually right on this one.  Our tax system is absurd and a lot of our problems could be solved by making sure that upper middle class people don't pay proportionally more in taxes than the absurdly wealthy.  Canada's better than some places in that regard, but tax codes around the world are full of loopholes that don't need to exist.   

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

1. I think that's a bit naive. 

2. Unless I misunderstood, I think Moonlight is actually right on this one.  Our tax system is absurd and a lot of our problems could be solved by making sure that upper middle class people don't pay proportionally more in taxes than the absurdly wealthy.  Canada's better than some places in that regard, but tax codes around the world are full of loopholes that don't need to exist.   

1. I said "could" meaning 'theoretically'.  I mean, social organization and government aren't required in small clans but at some point they're inevitable.  I'm not trying to suggest this is a realistic approach

2. I'm a conservative so I prefer non-intervention but... sure... flat tax... economic controls ... etc.  I don't think we're saying anything new here.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:58 AM, I am Groot said:

Most people have dental care benefits from their employer. Those on welfare or the poor generally get basic dental care from their province or municipality. 

Most "poor" people are not on Welfare so they don't get dick shit. Many more are low income and don't get dick shit. Many are self employed and don't get dick shit.
As got pointed out in another thread 6 million Canadians don't have dental coverage, so if you want to pretend 6 million us an insignificant number feel free to join the League of Arseholes.

As far as the "too many gov't benefits" BS, a reminder that the only job of government is to deliver benefits to its citizens even if you don't recognize them as such or because specific ones don't apply to you.

5 hours ago, herbie said:

Most "poor" people are not on Welfare so they don't get dick shit. Many more are low income and don't get dick shit. Many are self employed and don't get dick shit.
As got pointed out in another thread 6 million Canadians don't have dental coverage, so if you want to pretend 6 million us an insignificant number feel free to join the League of Arseholes.

I love this forum. I can post random thoughts, freely.

===

herbie,

There are some 7 billion people in the world. Most are "poor". Should I pay for their "dental care"?

If I do, I will merely be making their teeth whiter, better - people will think that they come from a rich country.

This is a fool's game.

=

I prefer paying for teaching kids calculus. Admittedly, unlike dental care, that's hard to do.

In the 1600s, Leibnitz and Newton figured out calculus.

By 1850, how many understood it? Tolstoi certainly didn't. Marshall did.

By 1900, Einstein did and used it to question Newton's mathematics.

=====

Here's my point:

If we worry only about poor people, there'll be nothing new - and poor people will always be poor.

===

Nowadays, in this 21st Century, how many of these several billion can read and write their own name? Ask any of them whether their grandparents could read or write.

How many people today can take a derivative?

I reckon that 5% can do this.

Edited by August1991

20 hours ago, betsy said:

Futhermore, I was just talking to the dentist.  If that program kicks in, private dentists (like this one), wouldn't be part of it.  Only government dental clinics will be accepting patients for that program.

Have you heard of any GOVERNMENT dental clinics?  DO THEY EXIST?

No, I'd say your dentist is a loon.

7 hours ago, herbie said:

As far as the "too many gov't benefits" BS, a reminder that the only job of government is to deliver benefits to its citizens even if you don't recognize them as such or because specific ones don't apply to you.

LOL what???  Are you insane?

Wait, do you live in British Columbia? ?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, I'd say your dentist is a loon.

She wasn't the only one who said that.  

I actually  asked from someone who works for a different dentists (clerk), a few weeks back.  She said they don't accept any programs from the government.They must also be private.

I suppose, people have to search for dentists who honor the program. ?

Edited by betsy

36 minutes ago, herbie said:

Clearly you're one of those...

WTF do you think the job of a gov't is?
One of those who think we pay them to tell us what to do?

You realize they also create and enforce laws right, and manage the justice system?  And defend the security of the country? And manage international relations/trade, and the macro economy?  And build and maintain infrastructure?  And manage environmental issues and natural resources?  And facilitate immigration?

There's many other government departments besides Service Canada, it's not all "gimme free stuff".

Are your from BC or not?