Misinformation and hair-brained conspiracy theories have a price, Mr. Jones - $50M and more to come

Moonbox

17 minutes ago, Aristides said:

People got death threats, accosted in the street, had their homes and cars shot at. One woman served time for threatening Sandy Hook parents. All you think he should do is make one insincere apology and then go back to peddling more lies. He made a fortune villainizing the parents of murdered children and all you think he should do is say sorry? Give me a f*****g break.

I'll tell you what is making people like Jones resort to these conjectures.  MONEY!

I told you I think what he did was wrong, but there’s no proportionality to these penalties.  It’s why half the billboards in rust belt US cities are ads for injury lawyers.  Suing has become legitimized extortion.  I wasn’t at the trial and either were you, so it’s hard to know whether or to what extent his words were malicious in intent.  They were wrong on many levels.  If someone doesn’t know that their words are likely to lead to death threats or worse, is the person liable?  Well the court said he was.  

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I told you I think what he did was wrong, but there’s no proportionality to these penalties.  It’s why half the billboards in rust belt US cities are ads for injury lawyers.  Suing has become legitimized extortion.  I wasn’t at the trial and either were you, so it’s hard to know whether or to what extent his words were malicious in intent.  They were wrong on many levels.  If someone doesn’t know that their words are likely to lead to death threats or worse, is the person liable?  Well the court said he was.  

So what. Why do you waste your time defending a human skid mark like Jones?  Why do you think he should walk away with hundreds of millions made from lying about the parents of murdered children? Why on earth do you think skid mark Jones is some sort of victim? 

37 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So what. Why do you waste your time defending a human skid mark like Jones?  Why do you think he should walk away with hundreds of millions made from lying about the parents of murdered children? Why on earth do you think skid mark Jones is some sort of victim? 

I don’t think that way.  I see his wrongdoing insofar as I can understand it based on what I know (which isn’t enough) and I see the value of a consequence for the acts.  I don’t know how much money this man has but I know it’s not hundreds of millions.   It’s probably not even tens of millions, which means that everything will be taken from this man.  How much humiliation will satisfy you?  How sadistic are you?  Two wrongs don’t make a right.  

5 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Just a small quibble that actually makes a huge difference….  It wasn’t his opinion, but the fact that he was intentionally lying about what happened and that is what caused the harm. 

If he had told the truth, and the truth had caused harm the exact same harm, he would have been completely in the clear.  

you have no evidence he was intentionally lying about it

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

If your incorrect opinion causes financial and reputational damage, that's a tad different than hurt feelings.

However in this case the court did monetize the hurt feelings of the parents. I think this might be a first?

The parents suffered from more than "hurt feelings".  

Heslin and Lewis both said they fear for their lives and have been confronted by strangers at home and on the street. Heslin said his home and car have been shot at. The jury heard a death threat sent via telephone message to another Sandy Hook family.

• Like 1