Snakes Eating Snakes

Re: the article: https://www.canadaland.com/canada-does-not-want-to-see-itself-this-way/

Reporters from the CBC, The Globe and Mail, Global News and others were in pissing match with the NYT about whether or not police in Ottawa arrested protesters at gunpoint.

A NYT reporter claimed to have witnessed it in person, our Canadian broadcasters rushed to condemn the piece as a complete fabrication because the police brutality and totalitarian tactics are obviously unflattering to our PM.

The New York Times reported last weekend that police in Ottawa had arrested protesters at gunpoint, a claim that was quickly challenged and denounced by prominent Canadian journalists.

“This is wrong,” tweeted freelance reporter Justin Ling, who had been covering the police action from Ottawa. CBC News TV host Ginella Massa called the Times headline “false and incredibly dangerous rhetoric” and CBC radio host Piya Chattopadhyay asked “where are you getting this bs from?”.

Narwhal climate reporter Fatima Syed, who is also the Vice President of the Canadian Association of Journalists and host of the Canadaland podcast The Backbench, called the Times story “embarrassing and wrong.” Journalists from The Globe and Mail, Global News, and more also criticized the Times, some demanding a correction.

Rebukes of the Times’ report extended beyond journalism circles. “This headline is shit and irresponsible,” tweeted actor Jay Baruchel. CBC personality Dr. Brian Goldman called a Times tweet about arrests at gunpoint “reprehensibly inaccurate,” and Dr. David Fisman, also a fixture on CBC’s airwaves, asked his 112,000 followers if they could get the hashtag “#NYTUnsubscribe” to trend.

It soon did. Senator Paula Simons posted her opposition to the Times report in the form of an animated GIF, and Gerry Butts, former Principal Secretary to Justin Trudeau, also voiced his disappointment with the report.

In one instance, a journalist made their own error in an attempt to correct the Times.

CBC radio host Carol Off accused the New York Times of failing to send reporters to Ottawa for its coverage, in a tweet that was then shared over 3000 times.

That's just a sample of the vitriol from our MSM, who somehow stood by their bizarre claim that they were aware of every single arrest made at the protests, and that anything that they didn't see, didn't happen. It was a clear case of "We control the narrative here, go back to the USA!"

It turns out that our lackeys were the liars and the NYT was telling the truth this time, 

Canadaland asked The Ottawa Police Service if arrests were indeed made at gunpoint, or if they challenge the New York Times’ account. Constable Paramjit Singh wrote back from the service’s Media Relations office with the following statement:

“There was a police operation on Wellington Street in the morning of February 19th regarding suspected explosives believed to be located in a vehicle. Members of the Tactical Team were also at scene at the time of the arrest; and this Team has their carbines on them and visible at all times, as part of their equipment to be readily available for exigent circumstances such as this one.”

Arrests definitely were made at gunpoint, by the Ottawa Police's own admission. Whether or not there was a legitimate reason for the police to use guns is anyone's guess. 

I applaud the use of Canadaland, which is non MSM but reputable.  As such, they did in fact show the bias of the MSM in a rational way with a strong example.

Of course the foamy conspiracy types who hate the MSM (except for FOX news, the #1 cable news outlet - for some reason) will continue to go to anonymous YouTube maniacs for their sources, much as a dog returns to his own vomit for food.

Thank you, Nationalist, for posting this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I applaud the use of Canadaland, which is non MSM but reputable.  As such, they did in fact show the bias of the MSM in a rational way with a strong example.

Of course the foamy conspiracy types who hate the MSM (except for FOX news, the #1 cable news outlet - for some reason) will continue to go to anonymous YouTube maniacs for their sources, much as a dog returns to his own vomit for food.

Thank you, Nationalist, for posting this.

Dude...WestCanMan posted this.

FOX News is number 1 because it is "closer" to the truth than any of the other TV news outlets. That's not to say they don't have a bias. They most certainly do. Yet their bias seems to be supported by facts...instead of feelings, as the bulk of the MSM...and you too apparently...like to base things on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. Dude...WestCanMan posted this.

2. FOX News is number 1 because it is "closer" to the truth than any of the other TV news outlets. That's not to say they don't have a bias. They most certainly do.

3. Yet their bias seems to be supported by facts...instead of feelings, as the bulk of the MSM...and you too apparently...like to base things on.

1. OOps.  Well thanks WCM then and sorry.
2. No - they brought in strong editorialization and even into the newsroom.  Whether or not you agree with their bias, it is more of a bias than the centrist-liberal bias of the past.
3. You are unable to separate your personal views from objective truth.  I think CNN is closer to said "truth" simply because they go after Democrats a little more than FOX goes after Trump.  But CNN and the others are still garbage news IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. OOps.  Well thanks WCM then and sorry.
2. No - they brought in strong editorialization and even into the newsroom.  Whether or not you agree with their bias, it is more of a bias than the centrist-liberal bias of the past.
3. You are unable to separate your personal views from objective truth.  I think CNN is closer to said "truth" simply because they go after Democrats a little more than FOX goes after Trump.  But CNN and the others are still garbage news IMO.

Tell ya what...as an experiment, I'll watch CNN and take notes for a day. You watch FOX and take notes for a day.

We can compare notes when we're done.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

1.Tell ya what...as an experiment, I'll watch CNN and take notes for a day. You watch FOX and take notes for a day.

2. We can compare notes when we're done.

1. 2. I don't have access to FOX.  I also don't have a day to do this.  I would be interested in your comments.

FOX doesn't cover major stories that are impactful to Trump.  CNN covers every single bad thing that happens to Trump.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I watch some of both and they do an at least so-so job on their real news reporting.  Where FOX falls apart as a serious news outlet is in their editorial personalities.  Where CNN has/had complete hacks like Chris Cuomo, at least they live on Planet Earth.  To have Tucker Carlson on your network while pretending you're serious about truth is a fantastical exercise in delusion.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I watch some of both and they do an at least so-so job on their real news reporting.  Where FOX falls apart as a serious news outlet is in their editorial personalities.  Where CNN has/had complete hacks like Chris Cuomo, at least they live on Planet Earth.  To have Tucker Carlson on your network while pretending you're serious about truth is a fantastical exercise in delusion.  

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-secures-most-democratic-223803687.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFaqPXyJg1v2xmXZE0bMNyk7XvaP2-PJtiZ4ntAuuVPQhOKYejPJlF51RthzlB2HpFYg-rt7LYwfmRYAS1HtDnlp3JHRzUBy6oc22dFfV1UsW0jG67zFPJil1Goh-zor41Vq3BSRNtDaSzyVdY7YTccOKefpGDhevWyVIYs67Tqq

To have Tucker Carlson on your network, means you have the most viewed cable news show in America. Perhaps you'd like to share what exactly you mean by "a fantastical exercise in delusion."?

Or are you just virtue signalling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. 2. I don't have access to FOX.  I also don't have a day to do this.  I would be interested in your comments.

FOX doesn't cover major stories that are impactful to Trump.  CNN covers every single bad thing that happens to Trump.

I'll watch some of both and let you know what I think.

Define "impactful". I find FOX reporting about Trump all the time.

This article is heavily anti-FOX but if you read between the lines at the questions they ask

eg. "The CNN switchers were also, as Bloomberg’s Matthew Yglesias reported, 10 points less likely to believe that Joe Biden supporters were happy when police officers get shot, and 11 points less likely to believe that it is “more important for the President to focus on violent protests than the coronavirus pandemic”."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/11/fox-news-viewers-watch-cnn-study

What I hate most about the CNN vs FOX question is that it forces me to defend CNN, which is just substandard to me.

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It also means you've succeeded at attracting the stupidest people on Earth.

Bravo?

As opposed to Donna LeMon, Humpty Dumpty Stelter, the Cuomo crime syndicate and a failed leader?

Stupid is as stupid does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

I'll have to take your word for it - things are so dystopian and surreal these days they all seem much the same to me.  

Bring back Max Headroom!

I remember Max Headroom.

As far as I can tell, the only way to find out what's really happening and why, is to read or watch news from all over the world...or at least more of it that just the US and Canada. Most people would probably be shocked by the reporting and sentiments toward the Ukraine thing in places like Bratislava or Prague...or Budapest.

Apparently the Polaks were all gung hoe about flying planes into Ukraine...that is until someone explained to them the fine print in their NATO agreement. Turns out they're not as protected as they'd thought they were...

NONE of our media talk about the reported 36 bio labs in Ukraine. Maybe Carlson but he'd be the only one.

It is the height of conceit and stupidity to try to ascribe our societal norms and expectations on people we know little to nothing about. That is a recipe for making things even worse.

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

As far as I can tell, the only way to find out what's really happening and why, is to read or watch news from all over the world...

Gosh...I wonder why that never occurred to me?  You conservatives are soooo smart.

It is the height of conceit and stupidity to try to ascribe our societal norms and expectations on people we know little to nothing about. That is a recipe for making things even worse.

Stream Carl Sagan Ft. Hans Zimmer- Pale Blue Dot by M.K.ERDMANN | Listen  online for free on SoundCloud

Yeah, we really should work harder at getting over ourselves.

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Gosh...I wonder why that never occurred to me?  You conservatives are soooo smart.

Stream Carl Sagan Ft. Hans Zimmer- Pale Blue Dot by M.K.ERDMANN | Listen  online for free on SoundCloud

Yeah, we really should work harder at getting over ourselves.

I'm not even sure what the hell you're trying to prove here.

But I'd suggest your attitude exemplifies the ignorance I was talking about.

21 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

As far as I can tell, the only way to find out what's really happening and why, is to read or watch news from all over the world...

As far as I can tell you people seem to think you're the only ones who know bias when they see it and how not to fall for it. 

Just now, Nationalist said:

Gee...I guess you failed then eh?

Like I said, you people seem to think you're the only ones who know bias when they see it and how not to fall for it.

I mean...arrogance is not a sign of intellect. Its a sign of shallowness.

?