The Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Iceni warrior said:

What happens to your wealth if printing money and government handouts lead to hyperinflation?

Economics is not my strongpoint but I'm not too bad at history and we've seen what inflation can result in. Wheelbarrows full of cash to buy a loaf of bread.

You don't have to be, common sense alone led you to the conclusion of thinking we can shut down our economy with no severe consequences and probably more severe than the ones we claim to be preventing.

Edited by Rue

7 minutes ago, Rue said:

You don't have to be, common sense alone led you to the conclusion of thinking we can shut down our economy with no severe consequences and probably more severe than the ones we claim to be preventing.

Well, hungry beats painful death from Covfefe19 IMHO.

18 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Well, hungry beats painful death from Covfefe19 IMHO.

Hunger and thirst drive people to drink their own piss ,eat their own shit , eat dead humans, allow lowlife to penetrate them. All depends on what world you come from. By the way most people who die from a virus  are in a coma or morphine induced state. The pain is  not the issue, breathing is.

..and please don't get me wrong but I think you are exploiting a fear vision to try make a weak point.

Edited by Rue

14 minutes ago, Rue said:

Hunger and thirst drive people to drink their own piss ,eat their own shit , eat dead humans, allow lowlife to penetrate them. All depends on what world you come from. By the way most people who die from a virus  are in a coma or morphine induced state. The pain is  not the issue, breathing is.

..and please don't get me wrong but I think you are exploiting a fear vision to try make a weak point.

OK, I'll adjust my statement to avoid exploiting fear and reflect the possibility that you die whilst recieving medical care or in a coma.

Hungry beats painless death.

Edited by Iceni warrior

13 minutes ago, Rue said:

No it is not black and white and shutting down the economy can kill as many if not more people than this virus ever would.

Not with protection of essential industries such as medicine and food production plus nanny state handouts. Not being able to watch hockey or buy a new phone will not kill you.

The virus can kill you despite that protection if you refuse to accept social distancing because you want to protect the economy rather than the population.

57 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Killing the population v killing the economy.

Conservatives v liberals.

False Dichotomy. You don't have to kill the economy to save lives anymore than you have to let people die to save the economy, it's not a zero-sum game.

The only way to make your idea look good, is to create an idiotic strawman and pretend it's the only alternative to your stupid proposal.

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

What happens to your wealth if printing money and government handouts lead to hyperinflation?

Economics is not my strongpoint but I'm not too bad at history and we've seen what inflation can result in. Wheelbarrows full of cash to buy a loaf of bread.

I'm not too concerned about it, there's more likely to be a thermonuclear war than hyperinflation

At the end of the day, I was poor before, so I could survive being poor again

With all my assets, I wouldn't be near as poor as others

Edited by Dougie93

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm not too concerned about it, there's more likely to be a thermonuclear war than hyperinflation

A quick look at the markets seems to back up my early suggestion to buy gold. Prices are surging at a level not seen for over a decade.

Edited by Iceni warrior

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

If the US dollar went into hyperinflation the catastrophe would be so massive it's not worth bothering to hedge for a such low probably event

That's Doomsday Prepping, which is counterproductive

Worrying about hyperinflation in a deflationary spiral makes no sense, that's about as far as you can get from hyperinflation.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Worrying about hyperinflation in a deflationary spiral makes no sense, that's about as far as you can get from hyperinflation.

Hyperinflation of the US dollar implies that the world has a hyper better place to park its money than America, no such place exists at this juncture

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Hyperinflation of the US dollar implies that the world has a hyper better place to park its money than America, no such place exists at this juncture

Indeed, besides if the US did hyperinflate, everyone else would hyperinflate in response to maintain a reasonable exchange rate, which would negate a lot the damage caused by hyperinflation on the American's part..

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Indeed, besides if the US did hyperinflate, everyone else would hyperinflate in response to maintain a reasonable exchange rate, which would negate the hyperinflation on the American's part.

I am hedged for a depression appropriately, for some that invokes visions of the Great Depression, but that's not what I'm expecting, you can have a depression without it being the Great Depression,  not all depressions are the Great Depression.

10 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I feel sorry for Donald Trump... He works his ass off to give us a booming economy, and now his legacy will be the Great Depression president.

Donald Trump has never worked his ass off for anything, and certainly not for his country or the economy. Donald Trump works about an hour a day, according to his own white house schedule, in between his dozens of golfing trips. No one can point to a single thing Trump has done which has helped the economy. Because Donald Trump does not understand economics or finance and has no idea how to help anything.

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

It's actually because of how other nations governments and the Canadian government overreacted to it and mandated the economy shut down.

If it had prepared like South Korea or Taiwan, it wouldn't have had to overreact and shut down its economy.