Screening for terrorists – interviews

Marocc

Screening for terrorists? How about starting with screening those who do not respect Canadian values like total equality for women and freedom f choice on what to wear and who to marry and respect for religions. Then you likely screen terrorists out.

As fir what Questions to ask:

Do you believe that women (including those of their family members) should have to right to refuse to wear hijab?

Do you believe that females (including those of their family members) are entitled to be in a sexual relationship of their choice before choosing who to marry?

Do you agree that the age for consensual sex will be 16 and marriage is at least 18 for females?

Do you agree that a man can only have ONE wife?

Do you believe women are in all aspects equal to men and must inherit half and have the right to divorce?

Do you agree that Canada is a Christian majority country and Canadian values must be respected (like Christmas,  diversity, freedom of speech, equality)?

Do you believe that you have no right to come here and try to change the traditions and Canadian values?

Do you accept that if you break any of above you will be given a one way ticket back home?

If the answers to all these questions are genuinely YES then I would consider to admit them if I assess they will become tax payers for life and will contribute very positively to Canada.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

9 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Screening for terrorists? How about starting with screening those who do not respect Canadian values like total equality for women and freedom f choice on what to wear and who to marry and respect for religions. Then you likely screen terrorists out.

As fir what Questions to ask:

Do you believe that women (including those of their family members) should have to right to refuse to wear hijab?

Do you believe that females (including those of their family members) are entitled to be in a sexual relationship of their choice before choosing who to marry?

Do you agree that the age for consensual sex will be 16 and marriage is at least 18 for females?

Do you agree that a man can only have ONE wife?

Do you believe women are in all aspects equal to men and must inherit half and have the right to divorce?

Do you agree that Canada is a Christian majority country and Canadian values must be respected (like Christmas,  diversity, freedom of speech, equality)?

Do you believe that you have no right to come here and try to change the traditions and Canadian values?

Do you accept that if you break any of above you will be given a one way ticket back home?

If the answers to all these questions are genuinely YES then I would consider to admit them if I assess they will become tax payers for life and will contribute very positively to Canada.

For God's sake Citizen (nd your pecker's sake) engage in more than a yes test before getting into bed with anyone.

Edited by Rue

25 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

For that I need a NO test (do you have any kind of STD)!!!!!!!!. Both tests however are designed to keep out the harmful.

People can lie. It's not hard to figure out the answers you are looking for without giving away that they are a terrorist. You're test isn't going to have any measurable effect whatsoever.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Smoking pot is not a sign for terrorism but if it was up to me I wouldn't allow pot smokers around myself.

I guess you'd be honest about it. Wow. You're quite the CITIZEN alright - someone the authorities can be proud of even as they haul you away.

BTW back when police still used to shake people down for pot around here they made it known to kids and their parents that every bag of pot they bought put money straight into Osama Bin Laden's pocket.

They wouldn't lie about something like that would they? Even in front of the children?

Edited by eyeball

Open ended questions will not have the desired effect when it comes to screening people let alone terrorists....Screening out a terrorist requires expertise and experience that is too much to ask from an immigration officer. There’s no fast rule around this. Heck if it was meant to be so easy lots of terrorist acts could have been avoided. Then comes the question of home grown terrorism. Someone like acting out of mental health problem harming others. How on earth can airport security detect a terrorist like Anders Breivik with those far right ideologies killing so many people? He could have been on any one of those flights heading back to Norway or going elsewhere. I have little faith in these interviews (be it open ended or qualitative questionnaires) let alone the techniques available to an interrogating officer to detect a novice from a professional.... 

Edited by kactus
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, Argus said:

Ask the Israelis. Apparently they disdain all the pretty (and largely ineffective) tech toys the Americans use to try to keep terrorists off their planes. They train their people in how to read people, in what to ask, in what to look for in behaviour and statements. They're apparently very, very good at it.

No doubt we could learn something from them but it’s unlikely we could import their model wholesale. Israel is a tiny, ethnically homogeneous state with two main ethnocultural groups. I’m not sure their way of doing things would be practicable in Canada for reasons of cost and law. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

56 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

People can lie. It's not hard to figure out the answers you are looking for without giving away that they are a terrorist. You're test isn't going to have any measurable effect whatsoever.

I agree with you. I was skeptical about the topic (screening terrorists in interviews) and I didn't think it was serious. There is no way anyone can determine if someone is a terrorist by asking questions. However, my questions may keep some who in my book are undesirables out but not terrorists. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, Marocc said:

How do you decide the person you are interviewing is a terrorist or some other individual you would and could prevent from remaining in Canada?

Just do the interview while Trudeau is still PM and you're golden.

1) People who manage to slip through the immigration system so that they can commit terrorist attacks against Canadians get to keep their citizenship, and

2) People who leave Canada to join terrorist organizations like islamic state, knowing that they'll be engaging in fun activities like burning people alive, beheading journalists, taking slaves and committing genocide, get to come back and walk freely, enjoying all of our rights & freedoms.  

Honestly just say "Justin Trudeau is my hero" over and over again. Even if you're an actual terrorist, you'll still love Trudeau for all the things that he has done for you, and when you're telling the truth it's hard for people to pick up on any bad body language, etc. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

Have you ever tried to get on to a plane in Israel, every passenger is questioned many times by many different people, and they do follow ups right there on the spot, ie , do you have family in Canada, yes, what is their phone number, they phone, do you have a son named , yes I do , next question, and each question is followed up in other interviews along your journey through the airport. The Israelis place great value on the interview, its not the only method they use but it is one of them, they have not had a hijacking on any of their planes for along time, i'm only assuming but it must work. why can we not adapt this form of interview for screening potential immigration citizens.

Having a values test is a whole new subject, but why must we invite everyone into the country with open arms ? 

On 1/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, kactus said:

Open ended questions will not have the desired effect when it comes to screening people let alone terrorists....Screening out a terrorist requires expertise and experience that is too much to ask from an immigration officer. There’s no fast rule around this. Heck if it was meant to be so easy lots of terrorist acts could have been avoided. Then comes the question of home grown terrorism. Someone like acting out of mental health problem harming others. How on earth can airport security detect a terrorist like Anders Breivik with those far right ideologies killing so many people? He could have been on any one of those flights heading back to Norway or going elsewhere. I have little faith in these interviews (be it open ended or qualitative questionnaires) let alone the techniques available to an interrogating officer to detect a novice from a professional.... 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/watch/former-fbi-agent-explains-how-to-detect-deception/vi-BBZrs1r?ocid=spartanntp

41 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Interesting article...IMO this is not enough to decipher who is lying and who isn’t. I mean how many times do you see people get away fooling the lie detector machines. People learn not to fidget, look away as a mechanism to come across as genuine and you could potentially see this happening at airports. Perhaps the amateurs fail the test but he ones that have the intention may get away with the lie. In short....observation of human behaviour may be a better technique to sift through more bad apples but IMO it can still fail when these techniques are available to the public domain....

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Have you ever tried to get on to a plane in Israel, every passenger is questioned many times by many different people, and they do follow ups right there on the spot, ie , do you have family in Canada, yes, what is their phone number, they phone, do you have a son named , yes I do , next question, and each question is followed up in other interviews along your journey through the airport. The Israelis place great value on the interview, its not the only method they use but it is one of them, they have not had a hijacking on any of their planes for along time, i'm only assuming but it must work. why can we not adapt this form of interview for screening potential immigration citizens.

Having a values test is a whole new subject, but why must we invite everyone into the country with open arms ? 

Israel has plenty of terrorist attacks against it, and plenty of immigration issues, the interviews are not as impactful as you think they are.

I never said we must invite everyone into the country with open arms, I said throwing tons of resources into interviews or values tests will not dramatically reduce immigration problems the way you seem to think they will. You have too much faith in government to address these issues, to the point where you think the only reason there is a problem is simply because there is no will to fix it, instead of government not being that good at addressing the issue in the first place.

Nowhere in the world is government as good at fixing these issues with interviews or values test as you claim would be the case if the government simply cared enough, it is naive wishful thinking on your part that things will go so swimmingly if the will of the government, proper funding and training were at ideal levels for interviews or values tests.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 hours ago, Marocc said:

The worst people tend to have the best body language.

A "bad person" cannot be recognized except by coincidence.

I've drawn people out before, gotten them to talk somewhat freely about their own bigoted views which they don't see as bigoted. And you can also tell a lot from how people react to certain topics if you're face to face.

I wouldn't bet people's lives that it always works, but when it does work you know for sure.

More than one person on this site has said in various ways that they support terrorism. It's more common than you think for people to slip up. 

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Israel has plenty of terrorist attacks against it, and plenty of immigration issues, the interviews are not as impactful as you think they are.

I never said we must invite everyone into the country with open arms, I said throwing tons of resources into interviews or values tests will not dramatically reduce immigration problems the way you seem to think they will. You have too much faith in government to address these issues, to the point where you think the only reason there is a problem is simply because there is no will to fix it, instead of government not being that good at addressing the issue in the first place.

Nowhere in the world is government as good at fixing these issues with interviews or values test as you claim would be the case if the government simply cared enough, it is naive wishful thinking on your part that things will go so swimmingly if the will of the government, proper funding and training were at ideal levels for interviews or values tests.

TBH tho Yz, people who think that they are being really awesome get dummied into becoming terrorists all the time. Even here in Canada people who were raised in decent families become terrorists. 

The people who promote terrorism are master manipulators, and unsophisticated people who are prone to violence are drawn to them like flies to shite.

8 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

TBH tho Yz, people who think that they are being really awesome get dummied into becoming terrorists all the time. Even here in Canada people who were raised in decent families become terrorists. 

The people who promote terrorism are master manipulators, and unsophisticated people who are prone to violence are drawn to them like flies to shite.

It's real easy for those who grew up and raised in decent families who become terrorists to tell foreign terrorists how to pass these interviews and sound like they are the more Canadian than most Canadians. Not saying interviews are useless, just pointing out that many people posting in this thread seem to have far more faith in them than is warranted. It's really not that hard to game the process as people seem to think, the Army Guy theory that these problems are easy to fix, the government just needs to care, is a drastic overestimation of the governments abilities.

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

It's real easy for those who grew up and raised in decent families who become terrorists to tell foreign terrorists how to pass these interviews and sound like they are the more Canadian than most Canadians. Not saying interviews are useless, just pointing out that many people posting in this thread seem to have far more faith in them than is warranted. It's really not that hard to game the process as people seem to think, the Army Guy theory that these problems are easy to fix, the government just needs to care, is a drastic overestimation of the governments abilities.

I agree for the most part with everything you said.

I don't think it's useless doing the interviews but I wouldn't risk people's lives on it. Our PM is though. He's willing to risk lives on isis terrorists becoming good guys.

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I agree for the most part with everything you said.

I don't think it's useless doing the interviews but I wouldn't risk people's lives on it. Our PM is though. He's willing to risk lives on isis terrorists becoming good guys.

Kadhr has been punished enough, further punishing him would be an even worse look for a PM.

Edited by Yzermandius19