What to do about China

Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Not gonna disagree. Though I would say our education system is, on the whole, somewhat better. It's counter-balanced by all the foreigners in this country (20% and likely to double in the next twenty years) and natives on reserves who don't bother to get much education.

Not so great anymore...20% of Canadian adults are illiterate..and it is not just "foreigners".    Canadians know more about U.S. history and culture than their own.   Graduates flee to the United States for better pay and opportunities.   Chinese students take more advantage than do Canadians.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

A Red Chinese psychiatrist? Is he gonna fill me with drugs to make me see things your way?

Weren't you going to explain to me how it was Trump suddenly, shocking all his advisers, orders the sanctions on ZTE to be removed? And the 'coincidence' that China invested a half billion dollars into a Trump theme park in Malaysia before and another half million right after that?

Your bizarre fantasy that Trump was standing up to China is belied by the fact he is an astonishingly greedy man with no moral scruples whatsoever dealing with a country with the same attitude.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Do any of you know what henipavirions pathogens are? No?

Bat virus...

We sent them to China.

You're free to pretend we didn't...

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/questions-surround-canadian-shipment-of-deadly-viruses-to-china-66254

Let's not bury it this time...explain, Lefties. Why was Canada shipping deadly bat pathogens to Red China?

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not so great anymore...20% of Canadian adults are illiterate..and it is not just "foreigners".    Canadians know more about U.S. history and culture than their own.   Graduates flee to the United States for better pay and opportunities.   Chinese students take more advantage than do Canadians.

Still smaller than your illiteracy rate, and a big chunk of them here are foreigners and natives. Canadians indeed know more about US history, mostly from Hollywood. The progressives in charge here don't like to teach anything about our history beyond the initial explorations other than that we were mean to everyone and that our ancestors were all homophobes and racists and sexists and the like. The Chinese in Canadian (and American) universities cheat and are allowed to cheat by universities who only care about getting foreign cash.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Let's not bury it this time...explain, Lefties. Why was Canada shipping deadly bat pathogens to Red China?

Do you have even the most minute clue how much stuff Canadian labs ship abroad to other government labs around the world every year?

I'm not saying that the virus didn't come from a Chinese lab. China is capable of anything. I'm saying there's precious little evidence to indicate it did, and even less to indicate it was deliberate.

I realize evidence isn't important to you Qanon types, but most of us make use of it.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

Do you have even the most minute clue how much stuff Canadian labs ship abroad to other government labs around the world every year?

I'm not saying that the virus didn't come from a Chinese lab. China is capable of anything. I'm saying there's precious little evidence to indicate it did, and even less to indicate it was deliberate.

I realize evidence isn't important to you Qanon types, but most of us make use of it.

You'll give them a pass...no matter the evidence staring at you.

Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory shipped Ebola and Henipah viruses to Beijing on March 31, raising suspicions from experts in biochemical warfare, who say they think China may use the pathogens to develop offensive biological agents. 

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/questions-surround-canadian-shipment-of-deadly-viruses-to-china-66254

Edited by DogOnPorch

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

You'll give them a pass...no matter the evidence staring at you.

Not a single government on the planet has accused them. There might be suspicions, but no one has enough evidence to show it for a fact. And if it were true, I would expect someone like Russia to have retaliated in kind by now.

Just now, Argus said:

Not a single government on the planet has accused them. There might be suspicions, but no one has enough evidence to show it for a fact. And if it were true, I would expect someone like Russia to have retaliated in kind by now.

China...pass from Argus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

True...still no firm answers for what Canada should do about China...easier to point at Trump and the United States instead.    China will continue to treat Canada like a Mexican piñata.

We seem to be #1 at giving China viruses that alarm biological warfare experts...perhaps we can try more of that.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

True...still no firm answers for what Canada should do about China...easier to point at Trump and the United States instead.    China will continue to treat Canada like a Mexican piñata.

Congrats, btw. 4k...

2 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

China...pass from Argus.

I've criticized China more on this site than anyone else here. Just because I don't buy your Qanon bullshit without supporting evidence doesn't mean I'm giving them a pass.

• Like 1

HOW JAPAN PICKS AMERICA'S BRAINS Much of its economic success has been built on bought, borrowed, or stolen technology. Now U.S. companies are striking back -- but a two-way street is still far off.

WHILE skirmishes over trade balances continue to dominate the governmental dialogue between Tokyo and Washington, technology is rapidly becoming the main battleground. ''The future of U.S.-Japan trade negotiations is increasingly high tech,'' says a top Western diplomat in Tokyo. Indeed, technology has been at the root of a number of recent diplomatic flaps between the two countries: sanctions against Japanese electronic products in response to microchip dumping, the illegal sale of Toshiba machine tools to the Soviet Union, demands for access to a big part of Japan's market for U.S. supercomputers, and attempts by Japanese bureaucrats to restrict foreign competition in domestic telecommunications. Sometimes protectionist sentiment spills into the technical arena. 

https://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1987/12/21/69996/index.htm

----

I wasn't even born and I remember the story of Japan incoming economical powerhouse which would dominate the US.

China now is the Japan of 1987.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

The progressives in charge here don't like to teach anything about our history beyond the initial explorations other than that we were mean to everyone and that our ancestors were all homophobes and racists and sexists and the like. 

Thread drift to say "I agree" but that history is never taught properly to children.  Something about 11-year-olds learning about Kursk and the holocaust seems weird to me.  

But I agree.  But thread drift.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That would actually be good news as Japan hasn't kept things going very well since the 1980s.

I don't think you can hold a gun to every other countries heads forever...

The Japanese played their cards better, as they didn't make strong shows of force and have made no enemies per say -just rivals-.

34 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Mike . . . . . What would you do about China?  What's a feasible course of action for Canada? Short & long term.

Forget the Michaels. We need to stand up to China. It's all they respect. Throw out their Confucius institutes, start tossing out their embassy and consular employees who are lobbying and threatening expatriates. Investigate the owners of Chinese language media in Canada who tow the Chinese Communist Party line for economic ties to China and ban them if they're being influenced by the Chinese government. Work with Australia and others to take joint action against China so it can't punish one of us when they don't like what we say or do. IE, if China bans beef from Australia and then comes to us to buy more, refuse. Increase funding to CSIS and CSE to keep track of Chinese influence and spies in Canada and deter hacking. Lower the number of Chinese diplomatic personnel in Canada. Pass legislation similar to what Australia has done to deter political influence buying in Canada. Lower the number of Chinese students in Canada (which China uses to threaten/influence universities and what they teach and say about China). Search out alternative sources for chemicals, minerals and pharmaceuticals we currently get from China on an urgent basis. Start making some of those pharmaceuticals ourselves. Crack down on the importation of counterfeit goods into Canada from China. Work with industry to persuade them to buy cheaper products from Mexico instead of China. Quit the China development bank. Increase funding for the Canadian military. Dissuade Canadians from going to China on business or as tourists. Ban government purchases from Chinese companies.

To start

Edited by Argus

26 minutes ago, Argus said:

Crack down on the importation of counterfeit goods into Canada from China.

Good luck with that....reported today:

Border patrol agents in International Falls, Minn., seized a shipment of counterfeit heaters that could have commanded more than $260,000 had they made it to market.

Agents on Friday found 780 of the fake infrared zone heaters inside a rail car bound for the northern Minnesota town of Ranier, according to a statement from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

The heaters, which originated in China, violated intellectual property rights regulations, officials said.

https://www.startribune.com/customs-agents-intercept-780-fake-heaters-at-international-falls-border/600012859/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

No, the swamp had a whole new level of predator dumped into it and the MAGAs are as confused as ever.

I guess that about half of voting Americans are confused then, Michael Hardener. 

Yes, some 70 + million people, all of them confused.

This seems like a reasonable opinion to hold, and is entirely unbiased. All of them are screwed up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Mike . . . . . What would you do about China?  What's a feasible course of action for Canada? Short & long term.

I'm following this thread because I have been convinced that the China concerns are right.  

Do I have an answer ?  No.  But as I said... doesn't look like anybody else does either.

Of course that won't stop me from tearing about dumb suggestions  :D

Cheers