Ontario is the Best Place to Live in Canada

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Western Ontario is quite affluent.  The Mennonites around St. Jacobs do very well.  Good work ethic in the tri-city area.  

I have no Protestant work ethic, work is bullshit, jobs are jails, I'm a trader; I like my money for nothing and my chicks for free.

The news told that when the Toronto Raptors won the NBA-championship whole Canada was celebrating. 

Somehow I just don't believe it. I don't think people in Vancouver or elsewhere in the west could have given two hoots about some basketball-team a 4h flight away. 

18 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

The news told that when the Toronto Raptors won the NBA-championship whole Canada was celebrating. 

Somehow I just don't believe it. I don't think people in Vancouver or elsewhere in the west could have given two hoots about some basketball-team a 4h flight away. 

Oh, everybody was celebrating, Van City too, it's frankly the biggest Championship any canadian team has ever won, NBA Championship is a global championship, most of the world doesn't care about the Stanley Cup, the NBA Championship is second only to the FIFA World Cup in terms of global reach.

People in Canada hate Toronto, but at the same time love for it to be the Big Smoke on the world stage, so they too can claim the glory.

Edited by Dougie93

One time I was walking through the crowds at Caribanna, and lo and behold who do I walk right up to; Shaquille muthahf*ckin O'Neal.

I says "hey Shaq, nice to see you", he says "hey brother, nice to be here", we shook hands, and then I just walked on, like it ain't no thing to run into Shaq on the street.

That's how we roll in the 6ix.

Another thing, it was always a pleasure to walk around Toronto in uniform, Torontonians didn't see the army much, but when they did,  they were very respectful.

Even the TTC drivers, they wouldn't let us pay the fare, when we went to put our money in the box, they put their hands over it and said "no charge, you ride for free".

Even at the New Windsor House Tavern, which was an Irish Republican bar, they treated us like gold, that's actually where I met my wife.

Being posted as Regular Support Staff to a militia unit in Toronto, is the greatest go of them all, cocktails with Perry Gresty at the Windsor, Airborne!

We'd hit the nightclubs in DEU's, and we were beating the girls off with a stick, they were literally throwing themselves at as, big old boys, in Canadian Army uniform, chicks digged it.

When I saw my wife across the room at the Windsor, it was honestly love at first sight for me, Dorothy Gale as I live and breath, but she says that she only felt comfortable when I came up and propositioned her, because I was in uniform, that was the thing that got my foot in the door.

Edited by Dougie93

Mind you, St. Clair Ave was at one point more British than the British.

The last time there was a crowd on St Clair like the World Cup celebrations in 1982, was the funeral of William George Barker VC, "the most decorated hero of Canada and the British Empire", on 16 March 1930.

Edited by Dougie93

10 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

There isn’t much of the rough edge left downtown.  A bit in Parkdale and Queen and Sherbourne.  Gerard is gentrifying too, as the “Upper Beaches”.   Queen is still a great street.  King has gotten better.  The old Yorkville scene is now Trinity-Bellwoods.

I cashed out and took my profits, I owned a house at Keele and Bloor in the Junction, put it on the market, had a bidding war with five offers, sold for almost double my asking price, took the money never looked back.   Wellington County is God's country, Toronto is overpriced, not in global terms, but Glenn Gould knows what I mean.

Edited by Dougie93

Petawawa turned out to be a nice place to live.

When I first got there I was like "this is the middle of f*cking nowhere" and I used to go back to Toronto a lot on the weekends.

But then I met a pretty young girl who worked at the Beckers and we started going out, and her family took good care of me, her father was a Sargent Major, ex RCR, rebadged to Engineer.

Slowly but surely Petawawa felt more like home, I had a nice room in the G-101 barracks, but most nights I actually slept in my girlfriends room at her parents house, then she drove me to work in the morning.

Edited by Dougie93

8 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s changed a lot and is still growing on steroids.  City life on this scale is new in Canada.  

More power to them, the real estate prices in Toronto are driving the prices up out here, not that I'm looking to sell, but the house next door which is identical to mine, sold for twice what I paid five years ago, so it's all good out here in Wellington County, without the traffic mind you, out here there's actually a rush hour and it only lasts for an hour, and there's parking everywhere you go.

The lifestyle we had in Toronto the Good, has moved out here now.

Edited by Dougie93

Not that I dislike the GTA per se, I was raised in the 6ix, but in terms of cost of living for quality of life, it's just not a good deal anymore, what I have out here at middle class prices would cost millions in Toronto.

Out here I am comparatively wealthy, in Toronto I would be house poor, out here I am driving a tight whip in light traffic, in Toronto I would be crammed into the TTC with the Schmos.

Been there done that, seen Toronto go from being the most livable city in the world to being just another monoculture urban grind.

Edited by Dougie93

On 8/20/2019 at 7:14 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Ontario really falls down on the mountain front. A few hills here and there is not enough for me. 

You can’t have everything in one place, but the Laurentians are not far. Not from eastern ON, the best part of the best province in Canada.

Don't tell anybody.