How Free Speech Dies Online

Argus

This is a column detailing the rabid left's attempt at silencing those who disagree with them. It speaks about the succesful efforts on the part of leftist activists to influence the major online platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google and Apple to deny a platform to the far right (the far left is okay though). It points out the dangers this poses for freedom of speech, which is ultimately the freedom all other freedoms rest upon. And it points out that those who want restrictions on 'hate speech' have a long, long list of other speech they want to eliminate. They'll never settle for just banning Nazis and white supremacists. Anyone who offends in any way, even by speaking a wrong word or sentence needs to be de platformed and shunned. That's simply the value system these people have. Witness this.

Richard Spencer hates me. But in order to muzzle him, I’d have to grant censorious power to people who hate him, but who also hate me. And they won’t stop at the groups I’ve mentioned. They’ll go after mainstream conservatives, and they’ll go after center-Right people like New York Times columnists Bari Weiss, David Brooks, and Bret Stephens. They’ll cancel Joe Biden. They’ll deny a platform to everyone to the right of Chapo Trap House, because, like Richard Spencer, they do not believe in free speech and they do not value the rights of people who disagree with them. Their cause is righteous, everyone who stands against them is a villain, and their creed doesn’t permit tolerance of dissent.

https://quillette.com/2019/06/23/how-free-speech-dies-online/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Alex Jones was the first step.

He was listened by millions of people in North America. When he got censored, it opened so many eyes.

Bad example.  He's a liar who contributed to the harrassment of the families of murdered children.  He should be in jail for life for the pain he has caused.  I would be happy if he died, actually.  He has his own network so nobody needs to see him on Twitter or Facebook, plus he is independently wealthy. 

The fact that people give a toss about him at all is evidence that our society's values are screwed up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Bad example.  He's a liar who contributed to the harrassment of the families of murdered children.  He should be in jail for life for the pain he has caused.  I would be happy if he died, actually. 

I would be happy if you'd be censored and if you died too.

9 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I would be happy if you'd be censored and if you died too.

Because I voice an opinion you don't like?  Ok then.

The difference between us is that Jones had done actual harm to people.  Your opinions are an example of our country's values declining.  

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

On 7/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

Indeed, "ZOMG Disinformation!" is the new Red Scare, except this time it's the Reds who are scared.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

CBC is in bed with Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

BS.  It's a piece about how to identify false news.  Misinformation should be everyone's concern and people need to learn how to verify information, instead of just cluelessly reposting "this makes me mad so it must true" stories.  You are nothing but a troll and ought to have been banned long ago.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

BS.  It's a piece about how to identify false news.  Misinformation should be everyone's concern and people need to learn how to verify information, instead of just cluelessly reposting "this makes me mad so it must true" stories.  You are nothing but a troll and ought to have been banned long ago.

Thank you very much.    "Progressive" outrage is the only reward I seek.  

The government sponsored and funded CBC relies heavily on American commercial and social media platforms, but cannot control how they are used.

Neither can you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you know you could be banned from Facebook just for mentioning Tommy  Robinson or posting a link to any article which suggests that his treatment is unfair?  Apparently you can. 

On Monday, July 8, 2019, I posted, on what I had previously, naively thought of as "my" Facebook page, a link to a Front Page Magazine article by bestselling author Bruce Bawer. Bawer, a PhD, had gotten my attention years ago with his Christian writing in favor of gay rights. For years mainstream publications, including the New York Times, recognized Bawer as a liberal in the best sense of that word. Bawer's July 8 Front Page article addressed the state persecution of T _ _ _ _  R _ _ _ _ _ _ _, a British citizen journalist and human rights activist.

On Tuesday, July 9, Facebook sent me the following, "We removed one of your posts because it doesn't follow the Facebook Community Standards. We created our standards to help make Facebook a safe place for people to connect with the world around them." I was told I would not be allowed to post or respond to messages for seven days.

I asked why. I received another message. I was offered no explanation. This new message said, "We reviewed your post again and it doesn't follow our Community Standards." Kafka himself could not have said it better.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/274304/banned-facebook-mentioning-t-r-danusha-goska

“It’s deeply, deeply problematic”, says Per-Willy Amundsen, former Justice Minister in Norway. His Facebook status about Tommy Robinson has also been censored.

“Tommy should be granted asylum in Norway, since the United Kingdom has betrayed freedom of speech. He is politically persued”, top politician Per-Willy Amundsen, posted about the British activist on 11 July.
Amundsen then added: “This will definitely be a post that Facebook will erase.”

And the social media giant did.

“You can think what you want about Robinson. Nevertheless, it is frightening that Facebook is removing and censuring opinions”, Amundsen says to Medier24.

https://ussanews.com/News1/2019/07/18/facebook-removes-norwegian-top-politicians-post-about-tommy-robinson/

Edited by Argus

To show just how one-sided and PC online media are becoming we have the story of Lynsey Shepherd. The same lunatic suing all those women in Vancouver for not waxing his balls got into an online spat with her and made insulting and graphic reference to her genitalia. His insults were perfectly fine with Twitter, but they then banned Shepherd for daring to deny his womanhood.

The exchange with Shepherd began after Yaniv made comments about Shepherd’s female genitalia, saying “at least my pussy is tight and not loose after pushing out a 10 pound baby.” Shepherd tweeted in response: “This is how men who don’t have functional romantic relationships speak. But… I guess that’s kinda what you are!”
Yaniv then responded with a comment that could have been in reference to Shepherd’s septate uterus, a reproductive condition that can cause higher rates of pregnancy loss.
“I heard @realDonaldTrump is building a wall inside of your uterus aka your ‘reproductive abnormality’ hopefully the walk works as intended,” Yaniv tweeted.
“At least I have a uterus, you fat ugly man,” Shepherd then said. “Of course, he thinks reproductive issues are something to be mocked.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/free-speech-activist-lindsay-shepherd-on-her-twitter-ban-your-instincts-should-not-be-to-celebrate

This whole issue has become mass hysteria and mass delusion.  It's one thing to agree that  people with gender confusion and gays for instance, should not be discriminated against, it's another to force your desires onto others, especially children.     Wishing and believing you are something else doesn't make it so.  

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

This whole issue has become mass hysteria and mass delusion.  It's one thing to agree that  people with gender confusion and gays for instance, should not be discriminated against, it's another to force your desires onto others, especially children.     Wishing and believing you are something else doesn't make it so.  

How mass? Don't ever believe for a moment that because this stuff is wholly accepted by the media and academic types, as well as gutless politicians, that this in any way represents the feelings of ordinary Canadians. Or Americans or brits for that matter. It's only the progressives that accept it and they're a tiny percentage of the population which unfortunately has a disproportionate influence.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Argus said:

How mass? Don't ever believe for a moment that because this stuff is wholly accepted by the media and academic types, as well as gutless politicians, that this in any way represents the feelings of ordinary Canadians. Or Americans or brits for that matter. It's only the progressives that accept it and they're a tiny percentage of the population which unfortunately has a disproportionate influence.

People are afraid to speak out, but at least one parent in Ontario was upset enough that they are taking the school to court over the indoctrination of their child.  Young children are very easily influenced and it's time parents spoke out against the mass brainwashing of our kids. 

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/ontario-family-files-human-rights-complaint-after-six-year-old-girl-upset-by-gender-theory-in-school/

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

People are afraid to speak out, but at least one parent in Ontario was upset enough that they are taking the school to court over the indoctrination of their child.  Young children are very easily influenced and it's time parents spoke out against the mass brainwashing of our kids. 

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/ontario-family-files-human-rights-complaint-after-six-year-old-girl-upset-by-gender-theory-in-school/

I think teaching this to children that young is wrong.  You have to teach children about sexuality gradually, according to their age and level of understanding.

At this age, it would have better to teach that certain characteristics are not exclusive to boys to girls.  ie:  boys can like playing with dolls, girls can like sports for example.  Teach them to respect and get along with everyone.

6 is too young to be presenting this concept to children. IMO.

Saw this today so thought I'd post it for more info.  This is now putting women in danger but the media etal remain silent for fear of being labelled etc. 

https://www.feministcurrent.com/2019/07/18/women-warned-you-yanivs-human-rights-tribunal-case-is-natural-result-of-gender-identity-ideology/

Women warned the media, politicians, activists, and the public about the repercussions of gender identity ideology and legislation, and now that those repercussions are being played out in real time, those warned remain silent.