Excessive quoting: What the heck is that about?

turningrite

I was cited for excessive quoting, presumably for quoting verbatim a couple of verbose posts that I considered unproductive in relation to constructive discussion of the topic at hand. How can this possibly amount to a violation of rules on any site that ostensibly promotes free speech? I'm completely puzzled by the warning, which seems to me to contradict the spirit of free speech, at the very least.

48 minutes ago, turningrite said:

I was cited for excessive quoting, presumably for quoting verbatim a couple of verbose posts that I considered unproductive in relation to constructive discussion of the topic at hand. How can this possibly amount to a violation of rules on any site that ostensibly promotes free speech? I'm completely puzzled by the warning, which seems to me to contradict the spirit of free speech, at the very least.

Your right to free speech and the promotion of it is in relation to the state, you don't have right to speech on private property, the Invision Community property rights rule here.

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

...How can this possibly amount to a violation of rules on any site that ostensibly promotes free speech?

Has far less to do with free speech and far more to do with reducing forum clutter and needless repetition of content.

We are asked to trim our quotes to help keep things nice and tidy.

10 hours ago, turningrite said:

I was cited for excessive quoting, presumably

You were sent a message that explains everything.  Now that you made your confusion public, let me give you a bit of insight:  most members reading this here your thread have received the exact same message that you did.    

Reduce the volume of your quotes.  Please review the following threads: 

Using the [ Quote ] Feature: - 2005

NEW RULE! - Trim Your Posts - 2006

Trim Your Posts and Quotes - 2006

If your reply takes less space than your quote does, then you quoted too much. 

If that is not clear enough for you, then get help.  Ask somebody in real life to read the warning that was sent to you and to read your posts and ask that real person:  "So.... how am I doing?"

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Has far less to do with free speech and far more to do with reducing forum clutter and needless repetition of content.

Exactamundo. It aint any more complicated than that.

There is nothing new under the sun. The membership here deserves better than to endure the constant drag of random scroller-coaster rides of excessive quoting.

On 12/16/2006 at 12:33 PM, August1991 said:

If you want to be read, make it easy for the reader.

46 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

You were sent a message that explains everything.  Now that you made your confusion public, let me give you a bit of insight:  most members reading this here your thread have received the exact same message that you did.    

If that is not clear enough for you, then get help.  Ask somebody in real life to read the warning that was sent to you and to read your posts and ask that real person:  "So.... how am I doing?"

Exactamundo. It aint any more complicated than that.

There is nothing new under the sun. The membership here deserves better than to endure the constant drag of random scroller-coaster rides of excessive quoting.

What an outrageous post! My question is why quoting a poorly written and verbose post in order to question its purpose is an entirely valid rhetorical strategy. If you look at my posting/quoting history here I seldom do this. If you picked up on a history of such "excessive" quoting, perhaps you might have a valid. But in relation to the (apparently two) quotes you've questioned, why exactly are you raising this concern? Is it favoritism? It sure seems that way to me.

9 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

You know, the interesting part is that I hardly ever quote verbatim long-winded and verbose posts. When I did on one occasion mainly to illustrate that despite their extensive verbiage these posts did not respond in a concrete fashion to the points I had raised in a discussion, points at which the writer was ostensibly aiming his or her criticism, a fact I noted in response to the verbatim quotes. In my opinion, it's long-winded stream of consciousness commentaries that can dull or thwart discussion that need to be reviewed. In other words, I was making an intellectual point, which apparently wasn't well understood by some, including the moderator.

Edited by turningrite

6 minutes ago, turningrite said:

My question is why quoting a poorly written and verbose post in order to question its purpose is an entirely valid rhetorical strategy. If you look at my posting/quoting history here I seldom do this.

Hammer came down, and that is all. Like in hockey, one must accept the ref's decision and move on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Is it favoritism? It sure seems that way to me.

5 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Move on to another site? That's what I'm thinking of doing.

I too have had issues in this regard. I have not had problems as long as I implement the MLW trinity, "Report, Ignore, Move On." For this I use the acronym RIMO.

It's the ignore part you likely failed on, of RIMO.

Edited by OftenWrong

On 1/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, OftenWrong said:

I too have had issues in this regard. I have not had problems as long as I implement the MLW trinity, "Report, Ignore, Move On." For this I use the acronym RIMO.

It's the ignore part you likely failed on, of RIMO.

I've only reported one member on this site and only after dealing with what I believed to be persistent harassment on his/her part. And the problem with ignoring is very often that it ends discussion on particular topics you decide to ignore. Moving on is fine, particularly if you believe you've contributed to the problem, which in this instance I honestly don't believe to have been the case.

As I mentioned earlier, being cautioned for "excessive quoting" on a site that has a quote function seems bizarre to me and even perhaps amounts to favoritism. I've seen so many posts where members apparently violate the site guidelines, including using derogatory language and engaging in 'ad hominem' personal attacks, and yet I wonder if these transgressions are addressed by the moderators? Why was my supposed offense of quoting two long posts written by another contributor deemed to be problematic? I just don't get it.

51 minutes ago, turningrite said:

....As I mentioned earlier, being cautioned for "excessive quoting" on a site that has a quote function seems bizarre to me and even perhaps amounts to favoritism. I've seen so many posts where members apparently violate the site guidelines, including using derogatory language and engaging in 'ad hominem' personal attacks, and yet I wonder if these transgressions are addressed by the moderators?

Rest assured that many members have received warnings for crossing the beams.   If we make the moderator have to clean up a mess or turn on the blue lights, it will usually come with a warning.

If you only have one or two warnings, please consider it a proper initiation to the group and badge for spirited engagement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

I've only reported one member on this site and only after dealing with what I believed to be persistent harassment on his/her part. And the problem with ignoring is very often that it ends discussion on particular topics you decide to ignore. Moving on is fine, particularly if you believe you've contributed to the problem, which in this instance I honestly don't believe to have been the case.

As I mentioned earlier, being cautioned for "excessive quoting" on a site that has a quote function seems bizarre to me and even perhaps amounts to favoritism. I've seen so many posts where members apparently violate the site guidelines, including using derogatory language and engaging in 'ad hominem' personal attacks, and yet I wonder if these transgressions are addressed by the moderators? Why was my supposed offense of quoting two long posts written by another contributor deemed to be problematic? I just don't get it.

45 warning points and we counted once...two years in the Cooler all added-up.

^ quoted too much 

"Bad dog!"

On 1/26/2019 at 10:29 AM, turningrite said:

What an outrageous post! My question is why quoting a poorly written and verbose post in order to question its purpose is an entirely valid rhetorical strategy. If you look at my posting/quoting history here I seldom do this. If you picked up on a history of such "excessive" quoting, perhaps you might have a valid. But in relation to the (apparently two) quotes you've questioned, why exactly are you raising this concern?

-- so that it does not become a habit. 

Try your best to refrain from quoting more than necessary from now onwards. 

1 hour ago, BubberMiley said:

There should be a way to trim quotes XXXXTRIMMINGXXXXXXXXX I understand that's the direction the world is headed.

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/ipad_mini_emulator/

There should be a way to trim quotes wxxxTIMIINGxxxx tablet. I understand that's the direction the world is headed.

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/htc_one_emulator/

There should be a way to trim XXXXXXX he world is headed.

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/nokia_lumia_920_emulator/

There should be a way to trim quotes when posting from a smart phone or tablet. I understand that's the direction the world is headed.

Anybody else have trouble with their new-fangled gadgets? 

I do not have a "smart" telephone nor do I have a touchscreen widget.   The online simulators seem to suggest there be no problem. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Charles Anthony said:

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/ipad_mini_emulator/

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/htc_one_emulator/

Posted via http://mobiletest.me/nokia_lumia_920_emulator/

Anybody else have trouble with their new-fangled gadgets? 

I do not have a "smart" telephone nor do I have a touchscreen widget.   The online simulators seem to suggest there be no problem. 

Try deleting paragraphs of text on a smart phone without blowing up the whole editor.