Are humans really responsible for climate change?

On 9/21/2019 at 8:42 AM, dialamah said:

Turns out, India is on track to meeting their Paris Accord commitments, one of only a few countries to do so.  One less excuse for "do-nothing" crowd to use justifying inaction.

Even as Trump undermines action to mitigate climate change, a coalition of American States, cities and businesses have formed a coalition to meet the Paris Accord; that coalition represents 65% of US citizens and 70% of GDP and will reduce US emissions between 17% and 24% by 2030.  An admirable example of people who don't sit on their backsides, whinging about "the other guy".

Link.

did you read the story and click at link to read some more?

Sorry for my ignorance, after reading the article(I really read it),  is this another "harry and meghan are flying carbon neutral private because they are climate change activists" story? There is no hard date yet (Then, I am so confused with their back to 2005 stuff). All are projection. 

We rate India’s 2030 NDC “2°C compatible.”

The “2°C compatible” rating indicates that India’s climate commitment in 2030 is within the range of what is considered to be a fair share of global effort but is not consistent with the Paris Agreement. This approach requires other countries to make deeper reductions and comparably greater effort to limit warming to 1.5°C. If all countries were to follow India’s approach, warming could be held below—but not well below—2°C, and hence would still be too high to be consistent with the Paris Agreement’s 1.5°C temperature limit. The 2°C compatible category refers to the 2°C goal adopted by the Copenhagen Agreement in 2009, now replaced by the 1.5°C limit in the Paris Agreement, providing a historical reference point and bridge to the Paris Agreement compatible category rating.

If the CAT were to rate India’s NDC based on its conditional target of 40% non-fossil generation, it would still fall into the same “2°C compatible” category.

Ifthe CAT were to rate India’s projected emissions levels in 2030 under current policies, the upper end of the current policy range would fall into the “2°C compatible” category while the lower end would be rated “1.5°C Paris Agreement compatible”.

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/india/2019-06-17/fair-share/

2 minutes ago, egghead said:

did you read the story and click at link to read some more?

Sorry for my ignorance, after reading the article(I really read it),  is this another "harry and meghan are flying carbon neutral private because they are climate change activists" story? There is no hard date yet (Then, I am so confused with their back to 2005 stuff). All are projection. 

I read the whole thing, and did not clink on additional links.  For me, the takeaway is that India is at least making the effort, along with States, cities and organizations in the US, while Canada is not - with the full support of people who seem to think that no effort is better than some effort.

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I read the whole thing, and did not clink on additional links.  For me, the takeaway is that India is at least making the effort, along with States, cities and organizations in the US, while Canada is not - with the full support of people who seem to think that no effort is better than some effort.

We do; where are you living?? we are tax to death with the greenhouse gas emissions tax, electric cars  rebate....

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Sorry, you are right ... old news, used to be lower, in 2017, but not anymore.

And the Liberals led us to a greater deficit than expected, despite 3% GDP growth. It means that if a downturn in the economy happens, the Canadian government wouldn't be able to lower the taxes to give a boost to the economy. It would be hard austerity like Italy, Spain or Greece who took the same pattern as Canada in the late 90s to early 2ks.

9 hours ago, ReeferMadness said:

Western European countries don't deserve to be lumped in with laggards like Australia and Canada.

I don't know so much.  I just watched Angela Merkel promise to phase out coal use by 2030.

Good job Angela, that'll do it!

Edit>  Maybe something was lost in the translation.  An article I just read says 2038. 

Still, it's good to know one of the leaders in preventing climate change is taking it so seriously.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I don't know so much.  I just watched Angela Merkel promise to phase out coal use by 2030.

Good job Angela, that'll do it!

Edit>  Maybe something was lost in the translation.  An article I just read says 2038. 

Still, it's good to know one of the leaders in preventing climate change is taking it so seriously.

the problem is that at what costs though? Is LNG or Nuclear OK? :)

6 minutes ago, egghead said:

the problem is that at what costs though? Is LNG or Nuclear OK? :)

I was being sarcastic.  I don't actually believe Germany's position to be a positive one. 

As to your question, both.  Why not? 

30 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I wouldn't know.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Which SJW's are defying your logic?

Any who aren't disgusted with virtue and who don't agree that being concerned about climate change is complete bullshit.

Egghead's logic is impeccably simple if not completely ignorant.

Edited by eyeball

2 hours ago, egghead said:

hey, climate chage is real. I just said people make a hill out of a sand grain

If you're so certain you should write a paper and submit it to the IPCC.  Do you realize what would happen if you could demonstrate and prove scientifically that there is no reason whatsoever for concern?  You`d be a shoo-in for the biggest Nobel Peace prize in the history of the prize - you'd receive millions in prize money, schools would be named in your honour, women would be throwing their panties at you.

I for one will definitely be looking forward to the most important scientific news in the history of science.  It'll be kind of exciting knowing that a MLW poster saved us uncountable trillions in wasted money and time fighting a non-existent problem.

• Like 1