Ford eviscerates local GTA politics

27 minutes ago, taxme said:

Those two are just as bad as Mao and Stalin. The crimes against the American people is enough to make it appear as though those two can be put in the same column as Mao ans Stalin. That is what I am trying to point out to you if you got my drift. Idiots are the people who love their Hillary and Obama communists. :D

You're a loon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wilber said:

You're a loon.

More like being realistic. At least Trump has and still is doing many things to try and make America great again for Americans. What have your hero's Hillary or Obama ever done for America and Americans when they were running America into the ground? Come on, give me something, fella?  

4 hours ago, Argus said:

Margaret Wendt has a reasonable asessment of the purpose of the notwithstanding clause, and points out the Charter never would have been approved without it as many were concerned about judicial overreach and the sovereignty of parliament.

So when is it appropriate to use the clause?

“It should be used when there is a genuine difference of interpretation on rights and where the legislature decides to have the last word in the context of an interpretive dispute with the courts,” says Dwight Newman, a law professor at the University of Saskatchewan. “The other instance is when there is some need to react quickly to a judicial decision,” he tells me.

Some argue that the notwithstanding clause is a “loophole” in the Charter. But this is exactly backward. It is an integral part of the Charter. Without it, there would be no Charter. And it was always intended to be used. Even Pierre Trudeau, who only reluctantly accepted the notwithstanding clause because there would have been no Charter deal without it, said he would use it to override the courts if they approved abortion rights.

Which brings us to Doug Ford. The strongest criticism of his use of the notwithstanding clause is that it should be used as a last resort, and this case wasn’t that. This must be set against what Mr. Anglin calls a “‘cynical manipulation of the Charter” by the judge, who struck down the government’s legislation, to change the number of seats on Toronto City Council. “The judge’s ruling was so clearly unsound that if Section 33 isn’t an appropriate constitutional response here, when would it ever be?” Mr. Anglin tweeted. Section 33, he wrote, is a reminder that " if judges want to play politics, the legislature can do it better."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-doug-ford-and-the-charter-dont-have-a-cow-man/

Excellent summation that cuts through all the hand-wringing noise. Ford's legislation was introduced July 27th - giving just shy of three full months to get ready for the October 22nd election date. It wasn't the "middle of an election" as July 27th was actually the last date for candidate nominations - which was subsequently extended. It was/is the obstructionist moves by the Council that has plunged the election into chaos. There's a very good chance the judge/decision will be strongly rebuked by the Appellate Court. That will be an interesting day as it stands to bring over-reaching judicial activism out in the open - while giving credibility - and even purpose - to the use of the nonwithstanding clause. That "threat" may rightly give the Judiciary pause before using the Charter in such a machiavellian manner. 

Unelected judges are in their position to ensure that the Liberal agenda continues even if voters chose a conservative path, it`s just not talked about.

Trudeau violated the Charter when he denied the Charter right to faith organizations from students jobs if they did not attest to having his values. Ford is using the Charter as a  complaint mechanism to resolve a Charter disagreement. Only one of these things resulted in left wing  outrage.

Dalton McGuinty took away the planning rights of every municipality in Ontario under the Green Energy Act which Wynne continued.  No many in the MSM called them out on it and many of those now screaming about Ford now,  never said a word about it.

Edited by scribblet

17 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Unelected judges are in their position to ensure that the Liberal agenda continues even if voters chose a conservative path, it`s just not talked about.

Unelected judges are supposed to be just that, judges. Non partisan. Their purpose is to keep overly ambitious politicians in check through unbiased consideration, giving clear, logical reasons for their decisions. Certainly that is not the case and the appeal process, if carried out would prove this true. Of course, that would take time to complete. So the whole thing was purposely to delay Ford's initiative, and allow the election to go through as planned.

I wonder who set this up, and who allowed that judge to preside? Perhaps there should be an investigation...

• Like 1

Why any Ontarian who voted for doug ford should be surprised by his childish and idiotic behaviour around the use of the notwithstanding clause to push his own private grudge match with Torontonians is a surprise to me.  His style has never wavered since his brash bully tactics were noted while his ridiculous brother was mayor.  He clearly is the moronic trump in looks, intellect, the ability to articulate the English language, and his populist and nonsensical ideas of what is important, and his self-indulgent mastery of idiocy on every level.  Except he has full power and intends to use it to control Ontarians. With 40% of the 52% of Ontarians who actually voted, the numbers of his supporters are not very high. You do the math.  Ontarians need to step up and stop this megalomaniac in any and every way possible.  Let's get on board with the 'we can't afford another Ford' campaign, starting right here.

Edited by Sophia Jones

56 minutes ago, scribblet said:

1. Unelected judges are in their position to ensure that the Liberal agenda continues even if voters chose a conservative path, it`s just not talked about.

2. Trudeau violated the Charter when he denied the Charter right to faith organizations from students jobs if they did not attest to having his values. Ford is using the Charter as a  complaint mechanism to resolve a Charter disagreement.

3. Only one of these things resulted in left wing  outrage.

4. Dalton McGuinty took away the planning rights of every municipality in Ontario under the Green Energy Act which Wynne continued.  No many in the MSM called them out on it and many of those now screaming about Ford now,  never said a word about it.

1. Horse-shit.  The judiciary is an institution and by its nature conservative.  Extreme right-wing loons who croak about same-sex rights being read into law do not represent conservatism.

2. Yes, but they didn't bring it to court.  They should have.

3. Because the left-wing doesn't care about religious rights.  Which are protected by the charter.  What do you think will happen to religious rights in a world where a premier can veto religious rights ?

4. The logic of this post seems to be comparing decisions made outside the courts ... saying therefore the courts' constitutional precedents aren't useful.  So short-sighted.  I'll be calling back to this when provincial NDP governments start banning religious schools...

Edited by Michael Hardner

56 minutes ago, scribblet said:

More unadulterated horse shit.  Right-wing media is brainwashing the feeble-minded to buying into some kind of free-range libertarian paradise.    This is akin to people calling an end to having police, because of police brutality. 

• Sad 1

On 9/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, Centerpiece said:

Excellent summation that cuts through all the hand-wringing noise. Ford's legislation was introduced July 27th - giving just shy of three full months to get ready for the October 22nd election date. It wasn't the "middle of an election" as July 27th was actually the last date for candidate nominations - which was subsequently extended. I 

Yes - the election was under way.  People had spent their own money to register for an election, taken leave from their jobs only to have this dropped on them.

This is big government, executed awkwardly and without a brain.  I read that the minister in charge of this has 1,000 people per councillor in his riding !  

44 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I wonder who set this up, and who allowed that judge to preside? Perhaps there should be an investigation...

Since Ontario Conservatives don't believe in the courts anymore, who is going to investigate ?  Mall security ?  

The new-to-politics set is very susceptible to dumb messages, and Ford's "I was elected not appointed" message is irresponsible at best.  He's leading the rubes over the cliff to disaster.  The provinces now can veto the Federal government, and Ford did that.

Sounds like you're not a fan.  The problem with this populism is that people respond to the strength & law and order profiles of these types.  They have reassuring personas.  Ford, though, is a small-time businessmen and ex-crook who comes from a poor moral lineage.  He won, though, because the alternative is a finger-wagging elementary school type that nobody likes.  The 'designated driver' type personality.  

Left-wing populism was successful when THEY were the ones who elected the FAT white guys... Huey Long, Bill Clinton, LBJ... 

You are correct - definitely not a fan! And I agree with you on all counts, except for the 'finger-wagging' reference.  Contrary to popular view, I quite liked Kathleen Wynne and was sorely disappointed with the turn of events, albeit it was time for a new face at the helm.  I much would have preferred Andrea Horvath, whom I see as gutsy, intelligent and someone with a strong moral compass.  She is a woman of the people.  Doug ford is nothing of the sort - but a massive troublemaker without a brain - as per our "president" in the U.S.  He is into the first quarter of his premiership and chaos reigns.   It is to be ashamed to be an Ontarian - the rest of the country are shaking their heads as is our PM. 

Thanks for your commenting.

1 minute ago, Sophia Jones said:

It is always good to point out similarities to the ugliness going on elsewhere in the world, so our pain is as short-lived as possible...

The world doesn't care about Ontario's ugliness...but the usual GTA, Ontario, and ROC disdain pecking order remains....long before Premier Doug Ford.

Just now, Sophia Jones said:

Ontarians care. If you are American, what are you doing giving a s**t about Ontarian politics?

Because it's another opportunity to mock Canada's obsession with and comparisons to U.S. politics (see above).

I agree that most Americans don't know and don't care what happens in Ontario....except for entertainment value (e.g. the late Rob Ford).

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

More unadulterated horse shit.  Right-wing media is brainwashing the feeble-minded to buying into some kind of free-range libertarian paradise.    This is akin to people calling an end to having police, because of police brutality. 

Or the more feeble minded left wing is just buying into liberal propaganda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sophia Jones said:

You also misread my post - I am pointing out to ONTARIANS the ugliness of American politics - not the rest of the world.  You do know, though, that the world is watching the US in disgust, right?

No I didn't....you are a new member here and don't understand the drill...yet.

Welcome aboard.....