Doug Ford - leader of Ontario PCs

9 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Trump is a train wreck to watch.  Doug Ford is going to be another train wreck to watch.  That's the ONLY connection between them that they are both terrible leaders.

On what scale is Doug Ford a terrible leader? Compared to Kathleen Wynne as an example? 

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Doug Ford is going to be another train wreck to watch. 

i have slim hopes for Ford, but slim hopes are still hopes.  

- He put together some crazy and big-dollar promises however the most recent history of PCs in Ontario was fiscally minded

- He reiterated that PCs will always be progressive.  Now you can argue that coddling candidates who posted objectionable material, refusing to march in pride and many other things go against that empty statement however you can indeed contrast such a statement with those of Trumps - to speak to that comparison

- He has pledged to deal with healthcare shortfalls.  This is perhaps the most bizarro-flip of the election: healthcare cuts and deficiencies were associated with the Liberal government, and the PCs pledged to 'fix it' and nobody commented on it

As I said, my hopes are slim.  But I feel if you don't give every government a clean slate to try from the start then you can expect the same from opposition when, say, the NDP get elected.

16 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Hence 'hold my beer'.  That train wreck is TBD.

If hold my beer is a reference to the buck a beer he wants to do, then great. You not realize how much tax dollars we are losing to quebec?

On 6/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Centerpiece said:

You've been duped with The Star's anti-Ford headlines again.....read it and tell me if you think that is fair reporting.....

Here's the huge, bold headline: 

Here's the actual content from their own story: 

Link to The Star article: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/06/05/rob-ford-estate-file-shows-11-million-in-assets-and-no-indication-of-any-payout-to-widow-and-children.html

And of the widow?

The day after Ford is set to be sworn in as the 26th Premier of Ontario, an anti-Ford group is expected to march on Queen’s Park to protest what it says are key issues with his agenda.

---

According to the Facebook event page, organizers of the rally will also be calling for a change to a proportional representation voting system, saying “it is unacceptable for a party that won 41 per cent of the popular vote to win 60 per cent of the seats.”

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/anti-ford-rally-to-take-place-day-after-premier-designate-takes-office-1.3970780

Heck, the Federal Liberals won with less popular support than the PCs. Where is the outrage over that outcome?

1 hour ago, H10 said:

And of the widow?

You didn't answer with regards to the accuracy of the headline. It said he had not made any payments to the children when in fact the content of the story clearly said that the Will specifically said no payments were to be made until they were adults (25, actually). We don't know what the will said for the widow - except that she had full ownership of the family house because she had already blown through the proceeds from a couple of mortgages. So really - do you think the headline in the Star was fair?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, capricorn said:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/anti-ford-rally-to-take-place-day-after-premier-designate-takes-office-1.3970780

Heck, the Federal Liberals won with less popular support than the PCs. Where is the outrage over that outcome?

And Wynne also got less than 40%......little outrage there either. Such self-serving hypocrites.

19 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

And Wynne also got less than 40%......little outrage there either. Such self-serving hypocrites.

Probably none because most voters voted leftist.  That being said, proportional rep is unworkabl unless ndp and liberals want to form coailitions forever!

23 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

You didn't answer with regards to the accuracy of the headline. It said he had not made any payments to the children when in fact the content of the story clearly said that the Will specifically said no payments were to be made until they were adults (25, actually). We don't know what the will said for the widow - except that she had full ownership of the family house because she had already blown through the proceeds from a couple of mortgages. So really - do you think the headline in the Star was fair?

Its about the widow getting zippo smart head.

7 minutes ago, H10 said:

Its about the widow getting zippo smart head.

Renata was left the family home. She went through a good chunk of change in 2 years with her re-mortgaging the family home. What did she do with that money? My nose tells me it's not hard to figure out. Perhaps there are relatives that want to safeguard the future financial well being of the kids.

22 minutes ago, H10 said:

Probably none because most voters voted leftist.  

And the media would have us believe that they could all be thrown into the same bucket and called "progressives" - and that is nothing short of fraudulent. It's just a convenient way of implying that Ford's election was really not a legitimate one. There is nothing "progressive" about endless deficits and mountains of debt - leaving our children and their children to pay the bills and suffer the inevitable tax increases and cuts in vital services. Their is nothing "progressive about the hundreds of thousands of public sector workers who voted NDP instead of Liberal - simply because that's where they would get the best deal. And let's not forget that much of the remaining Liberal base is made up of fiscally responsible taxpayers who have traditionally been centrist. Yes - much of the 60% leaned Left but Progressive? Hardly. It begs the question as to what the term "progressive" actually means nowadays. 

9 hours ago, Argus said:

On what scale is Doug Ford a terrible leader? Compared to Kathleen Wynne as an example? 

I think I have to quote this one again, and make another statement. Trump and Ford are train wrecks. Wynne was an atomic bomb. I've never seen such a move that absolutely devastated an entire party.

10 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Trump is a train wreck to watch.  Doug Ford is going to be another train wreck to watch.  That's the ONLY connection between them that they are both terrible leaders.

Good leaders know how to assemble, direct and motivate a team. Politically, Ford has not had the opportunity to demonstrate whether he has those skills or not. He's now got a bunch of very capable people to choose from - and he seemed to listen to his campaign team and stay on message - so you certainly can't call him a terrible leader at this stage. He might surprise people.

7 hours ago, capricorn said:

Renata was left the family home. She went through a good chunk of change in 2 years with her re-mortgaging the family home. What did she do with that money? My nose tells me it's not hard to figure out. Perhaps there are relatives that want to safeguard the future financial well being of the kids.

So what you have a home but no ncome, what do you think happens, kids need to go to school.  Why is he holding the man's money from the kids and wife?  Do you really want us to believe Rob Ford left no money for his wife despite being a millionaire?  Do you think he wanted his wife to live with nothing and no money, how the hell would his kids be taken care of?

11 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

And the media would have us believe that they could all be thrown into the same bucket and called "progressives" - and that is nothing short of fraudulent. It's just a convenient way of implying that Ford's election was really not a legitimate one. There is nothing "progressive" about endless deficits and mountains of debt - leaving our children and their children to pay the bills and suffer the inevitable tax increases and cuts in vital services. Their is nothing "progressive about the hundreds of thousands of public sector workers who voted NDP instead of Liberal - simply because that's where they would get the best deal. And let's not forget that much of the remaining Liberal base is made up of fiscally responsible taxpayers who have traditionally been centrist. Yes - much of the 60% leaned Left but Progressive? Hardly. It begs the question as to what the term "progressive" actually means nowadays. 

I don't think his election was illegitimate, not the provincial one anyway, the pc one, where he was signing up members who didn't pay and might have been though.

Progressive policies have less debt than any other governing system,just like in Norway.  It is neo-capitalist systems like America which lead to massive mountains of debt b/c the rich pay no tax, the middle class pay everything and the poor riot. No the liberal base is very progressive.  Ford basically runs as a progressive in Ford nation, he is clever in this, he speaks progressive but governs as a neo-con.

14 hours ago, H10 said:

So you admit he didnt give the money to the widow?

EH????  Do you understand what you read?

Ford couldn't have lied if he made no such claims.   You say he lied.   You're making that claim.  So, I'm calling you on it.

I'm challenging you to cite your source for the info that says he gave money to the widow.  Translation:   I think you're the one who's lying.

Edited by betsy

4 hours ago, H10 said:

Progressive policies have less debt than any other governing system,just like in Norway.  It is neo-capitalist systems like America which lead to massive mountains of debt b/c the rich pay no tax, the middle class pay everything and the poor riot. No the liberal base is very progressive.  Ford basically runs as a progressive in Ford nation, he is clever in this, he speaks progressive but governs as a neo-con.

I want you to read/listen very, very carefully. This could be a valuable teaching moment for you - one that could be life-altering. The top 1% of earners in Canada pay 22% of ALL the tax that's collected. The top 10% pay 55%. That leaves the next 40% of earners - that middle class paying - wait for it - about 40% of all taxes collected. To finish off - that leaves the bottom 50% paying less than 5% of all taxes.

Does that change your mind? Didn't think so.

Link: http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/william-watson-thank-the-rich-theyre-the-ones-paying-for-everything

2 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

I want you to read/listen very, very carefully. This could be a valuable teaching moment for you - one that could be life-altering. The top 1% of earners in Canada pay 22% of ALL the tax that's collected. The top 10% pay 55%. That leaves the next 40% of earners - that middle class paying - wait for it - about 40% of all taxes collected. To finish off - that leaves the bottom 50% paying less than 5% of all taxes.

Does that change your mind? Didn't think so.

Link: http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/william-watson-thank-the-rich-theyre-the-ones-paying-for-everything

The bottom 90% of all earners live on a fraction of the net income of the top 1% of earners.  Does that change your mind?   Didn't think so.