EVIL DEM

C'mon Dialamah!  Are you suggesting that when when you heard the news and it wasn't a guy named Abdul or Mohammed, but that it was a white guy, you didn't secretly hope he was a Christian fundamentalist or White Nationalist?  Really?  

Whatever though, don't get too comfortable, It could still be Islamic terrorism.

3 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

C'mon Dialamah!  Are you suggesting that when when you heard the news and it wasn't a guy named Abdul or Mohammed, but that it was a white guy, you didn't secretly hope he was a Christian fundamentalist or White Nationalist?  Really?  

Nope, I was busy being shocked and horrified at the death toll, not hoping the deaths of almost 50 people and 500 more wounded would give me some leg up on a stupid political forum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, it's obvious that the left want it to be terrorism (at the very least).  In Orlando they wanted it to be gun violence, at VT they wanted gun violence/workplace violence.  This situation, if called terrorism/gun violence would go a long way to evening out the score between radical Islamic terrorism and "white nationalist" terrorism.  You have to know that when news broke that he was a white male, the liberals (along with locals like dialamah, Omni and jacee) were hoping beyond hope that he was a christian...or at least a Trump supporter.

Simplistic navel gazing writ large. I guess right wing wonks will do anything to avoid the idea of gun controls. I'm sure the NRA will be chatting with Trump about now. Votes are more important than dead people after all.

9 hours ago, Omni said:

Simplistic navel gazing writ large. I guess right wing wonks will do anything to avoid the idea of gun controls. I'm sure the NRA will be chatting with Trump about now. Votes are more important than dead people after all.

How come the Dems only politicize this issue after white folks get shot?  No gun outrage about Chicago who lose 60 (mostly black) people a month to gun related deaths?  Yeah, it's never the Dems playing politics, is it?

12 hours ago, dialamah said:

Nope, I was busy being shocked and horrified at the death toll, not hoping the deaths of almost 50 people and 500 more wounded would give me some leg up on a stupid political forum.

After you've recovered from shock.....no doubt after you knew the name wasn't Muslim,  you're already thinking "White = Christian."

How many times have you tried to downplay Islamist terrorism by bringing up Christians?  Heck, just recently you even tried ro tie up Christians with islamist terrorisms!

You bring up hypocritical Christians every time Islamist terrorists are being discussed!

Dialamah

Muslims, Jews and Christians all worship the same God.  Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet of God.

Edited by betsy

55 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

How come the Dems only politicize this issue after white folks get shot?  No gun outrage about Chicago who lose 60 (mostly black) people a month to gun related deaths?  Yeah, it's never the Dems playing politics, is it?

Seems to me I have read a lot about Chicago, but it's a slow constant stream of violence there as opposed to a single shocking event.

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

Are you trying to claim you are concerned about gun violence in Chicago?    Are you concerned about the rest of the country, where more than 11,000 people have already died this year in gun-related deaths?   Or what about the 22,000 suicides, at least some of whom might still be alive if they didn't have instant access to a gun and had to rely on something a little less lethal - any concern about them?   Maybe the 550 kids, or the 1500+ teens who've died this year?   Were you even aware of these numbers?   

2 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Its not just the dems who support more gun control  

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/10/02/politics/bipartisan-gun-control-policies-majorities/index.html

54 minutes ago, dialamah said:

An honest person would include the statement I was actually responding to.  

:rolleyes:

Then, you're the one who's not being honest.  In fact, you're lying.

This was the statement that you were responding to:

betsy

Now let's get back on topic.  I'll repeat:

I'm talking about terrorism that's being done by a certain group of people around the world -  for the specific purpose of killing as many as they can - all in the name of a particular god.

See page 2:

Edited by betsy

I see now that the GOP is trying to do a little dance to try and look like they have concerns over events like Vegas by putting forth a bill which would outlaw "bump stocks". Never mind background checks or registering firearms, or anything which actually might be effective. Just a rather transparent attempt to maybe pick up a few votes from those gullible enough to believe this bill will have any actual effect.

23 hours ago, Omni said:

Muslim shooter=blame the entire religion

Black shooter=blame the entire race

White shooter=troubled lone wolf

I think it more depends on what things are done "in the name of". If there's a group of people committing murder in the name of something, then that something acquires a life of its own beyond the specific actions of the shooter. Doesn't matter the skin colour... white Muslim terrorists shall be equally held accountable.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I think it more depends on what things are done "in the name of". If there's a group of people committing murder in the name of something, then that something acquires a life of its own beyond the specific actions of the shooter. Doesn't matter the skin colour... white Muslim terrorists shall be equally held accountable.

I think it actually depends on exactly what I have just pointed out. Xenophobia and racism seem to reign supreme among a certain crowd. Terrorists should be held accountable regardless of race/religion/ethnic background, but the entire group need not be.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

I think it actually depends on exactly what I have just pointed out. Xenophobia and racism seem to reign supreme among a certain crowd. Terrorists should be held accountable regardless of race/religion/ethnic background, but the entire group need not be.

Xenophobia and racism does exist, but does not reign supreme among a very large crowd. Most conservatives are not saying exactly what you just pointed out, they're saying what I pointed out. But there is some common ground here, as your last sentence indicates we need to route out and be very specific about who our enemies are and who they ain't. And the more we accuse one another of holding extreme simple minded views, the further we are from understanding that.

To bring this on topic, Dems were accused of this very act, not listening to/ disregarding entirely the views of vast numbers of people on the right, along with a few ill timed, dumb mistakes ("deplorables"), resulting in the presidency you see now. Lesson: be specific, very specific.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Xenophobia and racism does exist, but does not reign supreme among a very large crowd. Most conservatives are not saying exactly what you just pointed out, they're saying what I pointed out. But there is some common ground here, as your last sentence indicates we need to route out and be very specific about who our enemies are and who they ain't. And the more we accuse one another of holding extreme simple minded views, the further we are from understanding that.

To bring this on topic, Dems were accused of this very act, not listening to/ disregarding entirely the views of vast numbers of people on the right, along with a few ill timed, dumb mistakes ("deplorables"), resulting in the presidency you see now. Lesson: be specific, very specific.

A few ill timed dumb mistakes? How about "let's throw out all the Muslim's, let's deport all the Mexicans, let's build a wall", and of course those that are attracted to racism bought in big time. They're easily led it seems. Maybe because they typically don't have a lot of education beyond grade school.  

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

A few ill timed dumb mistakes? How about "let's throw out all the Muslim's, let's deport all the Mexicans, let's build a wall", and of course those that are attracted to racism bought in big time. They're easily led it seems. Maybe because they typically don't have a lot of education beyond grade school.  

Yeah the mistakes and incendiary talk is now part of mainstream accepted pop culture, which only makes matters worse for everyone. How we got to the point that reality TV became real is another topic for discussion. What Trump said was attractive to millions of disenfranchised voters, many of whom I agree have a low education and don't know how to clearly voice their concerns. Not many Muslim voters, so no big loss there. Same goes for Mexicans. Not all Mexicans were to be deported by the way. The payout on the "white people" side for what he did was yuge... Meanwhile Hillary's "deplorables" was probably her worst mistake and her enemies jumped right on it. Made her look like an arrogant self-justified liberal, the exact persona that conservative voters most despise. Why? Because she did not speak very exactly, she made a sweeping general statement that could be easily taken out of context. What Trump said, he meant intentionally. What Hillary said was a gaff that she ultimately paid for. Perhaps thread title should be Dumb Dems.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yeah the mistakes and incendiary talk is now part of mainstream accepted pop culture, which only makes matters worse for everyone. How we got to the point that reality TV became real is another topic for discussion. What Trump said was attractive to millions of disenfranchised voters, many of whom I agree have a low education and don't know how to clearly voice their concerns. Not many Muslim voters, so no big loss there. Same goes for Mexicans. Not all Mexicans were to be deported by the way. The payout on the "white people" side for what he did was yuge... Meanwhile Hillary's "deplorables" was probably her worst mistake and her enemies jumped right on it. Made her look like an arrogant self-justified liberal, the exact persona that conservative voters most despise. Why? Because she did not speak very exactly, she made a sweeping general statement that could be easily taken out of context. What Trump said, he meant intentionally. What Hillary said was a gaff that she ultimately paid for. Perhaps thread title should be Dumb Dems.

I doubt your contention that Trump says anything intentionally since he contradicts almost everything he says the day or two after. "Deplorables" wasn't of course a well chosen word, but it did not stop the majority of American voters to cast their ballot for her. They really do need to think about scrapping that EC bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

I doubt your contention that Trump says anything intentionally since he contradicts almost everything he says the day or two after. "Deplorables" wasn't of course a well chosen word, but it did not stop the majority of American voters to cast their ballot for her. They really do need to think about scrapping that EC bullshit.

The EC did not affect Obama.

Just now, Omni said:

Well so what? The voters casting ballots and the EC voted for Obama. In Trumps case the EC overturned the popular vote. Get it?

Sure, because Obama managed to reach out across the political spectrum. He managed to garner more support from those regions of the EC than Hillary. Why this is can b another topic for discussion.

The EC worked out fine for Obama, and this even despite him being a "black" man. Some of the more extreme types on the right were utterly horrified, I'm sure. But since he won it twice it proves that they are in fact in the minority. Right wingers voted for Obama. But that election was far more dignified, on both sides.