Getting Disensitized....

betsy

The Scrum on CBC today asks whether people are getting disensitized over coverage of terror-attacks. 

A comment  made by journalist Ibbitson was quite ironic.  He said that we've been lucky so far that there has been no major attacks like 9/11 which resulted in many deaths.  I think, to say that we're lucky, shows that Ibbitson (at least), is seemingly getting disensitized by all the coverage.   One or two getting killed by terror acts.......doesn't compare to dozen.

I just saw the clip of the Edmonton attack on the cop shown on tv.  The way the car plowed into him and sent him flying.  And the terrorist rushing at him (when people attempted to help  him).....

*****Warning:  Graphic

The injured cop was stabbed repeatedly.  Thank God the cop didn't die.....that no one died.  It's still horrific, nonetheless. 

As I watched, I feel anger!

Eventually.....are we going to get disensitized?

Edited by betsy

7 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

First of all.  Kudos for providing a source.

The first thing I do when I read a media study is look for the source report, which is from 2010 and linked in the article:

http://ww.rrojasdatabank.info/HDRP_2010_40.pdf

Ok, if you Google the title... it's all over the web on extreme right websites like nationalfront.org or whatever with the exact same title.  The UN report is 7 years old, and a new report gets released every year.  For the 2016 report Sweden is still 16th on the list.  Furthermore nothing in the UN report puts refugees or anything like that as the cause.

What you have is a 'glurge'.  Someone has taken a real report and misreported what was in it.  The UN report doesn't say 'Third World' it provides an HDI number.  If Sweden does fall down, it will still be in the top 25 countries and in the same company as countries like Portugal and Hungary in contemporary times.  And countries that have been posted elsewhere as falling due to immigration place high on the list: France (3rd) Canada (5th).

But credits for having a source, that cited a real report.

That's just one article, there are others both in print and on youtube that speak to the financial problems looming in Sweden.  Even their neighbouring countries are distancing themselves.  However, in 2008 they were 7th, in 2009 they dropped 2 positions to 9th and in HSDI they were 3rd.  They've taken quite a slide and that was before the 160K so odd immigrants.  I'll stick with my predictions and watch closely over the next year.  Sweden is the canary in the coal mine. 

Edited by Hal 9000

7 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

That's just one article, there are others both in print and on youtube that speak to the financial problems looming in Sweden.  Even their neighbouring countries are distancing themselves.  However, in 2008 they were 7th, in 2009 they dropped 2 positions to 9th and in HSDI they were 3rd.  They've taken quite a slide and that was before the 160K so odd immigrants.  I'll stick with my predictions and watch closely over the next year.  Sweden is the canary in the coal mine. 

Ok.  There are articles on the Swedish situation, I accept that.  Tying HDI to immigration hasn't been done yet, though.

And the article itself is horseshit.  Hopefully, we can start to see a pattern here.  Look for the source report and whether it says all the things any media article says it does.

20 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

I don't think we're desensitized,  I think we are still in denial.  The Swedes are desensitized - In fact Sweden has officially given up.

An ad calling for understanding, respect and tolerance instead of hate, fear and violence is "giving up"?    

21 hours ago, dialamah said:

An ad calling for understanding, respect and tolerance instead of hate, fear and violence is "giving up"?    

Well, considering that we've always spoken of how immigrants should integrate into our society and liberals have openly mocked the idea of us changing to suit the needs of immigrants in such ways as Sharia law, It's quite open and honest for Sweden to proclaim that "there is no going back" and "we must integrate towards them" is pretty much saying "we give up".  Sweden is not and will never be the place that it used to be.  Sweden is moving toward Islam, and they've accepted it.  I'm sure this makes you smile, but it just tells me where we and other western nations are headed - and no, I don't like it one bit.

4 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, considering that we've always spoken of how immigrants should integrate into our society and liberals have openly mocked the idea of us changing to suit the needs of immigrants in such ways as Sharia law, It's quite open and honest for Sweden to proclaim that "there is no going back" and "we must integrate towards them" is pretty much saying "we give up". 

That's one heap of a sentence.  'liberals have mocked the idea of us changing to suit the needs of immigrants in such ways as Sharia law': I assume you mean neoliberals ?

• 3 weeks later...