The Long Arm of EU

betsy

This latest move by European Union - which definitely shows you don't have sovereignty once you're a member - might shaken up other EU countries that are already having second thoughts about EU.

East Europe can't refuse refugees: court

The European Union's top court roundly has dismissed complaints by Slovakia and Hungary about EU migration policy, upholding Brussels' right to force member states to take in asylum seekers.

The program set up by the executive European Commission was approved by majority vote of member states in the face of opposition from formerly communist countries in the east who said their societies could not absorb mainly Muslim immigrants.

It provided for the relocation of up to 120,000 people, but only some 25,000 have so far been moved.

A further program for resettling people directly from outside the EU has also struggled to hit targets for taking in asylum-seekers.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/east-europe-cant-refuse-refugees-court/news-story/9e93570f20dc0b8210fb916ff4c21964

‘We’re at tipping point’ Italian MEP warns migrant crisis bringing EU to brink of collapse

A SENIOR Italian politician has warned that the European Union is once again hurtling towards the brink of collapse because of the renewed migration crisis and Brussels’ failure to effectively manage it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/839308/Migrant-crisis-Italian-MEP-refugee-arrivals-threaten-EU-future

There were rumors before of Greece and France (before victory of Macron), to likely follow UK in leaving the EU.  But so far, it seems no one else is making a move.

There is an EU program to resettle migrants outside of EU.  We're doing trade with EU, right?  I wonder if  any caveat of quota to fill, is part of that trade deal?

Edited by betsy

Fortunately, the EU doesn't have its own army, at least not yet, to bring reluctant states to heel like the Soviets did. Now that the Brits are leaving the strongest army will also not only leave the EU but may in some future-scenario be an enemy-army of the European superstate.

7 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Fortunately, the EU doesn't have its own army, at least not yet, to bring reluctant states to heel like the Soviets did. Now that the Brits are leaving the strongest army will also not only leave the EU but may in some future-scenario be an enemy-army of the European superstate.

There are solid cooperative agreements in place between countries. Those agreements appear to be only on paper however. Attempts to create an army for the EU were blocked by the UK, who are of course leaving so this situation will likely change soon.

On this note, the tension between the EU and Russia, as well as the election of Donald Trump, the problems he is having with North Korea, makes me think the UK is picking up their tails and running. Perhaps the argument that they are the strongest army and therefore obliged to provide for EU security has become distasteful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-09-12 at 6:18 PM, -TSS- said:

Countries are free to leave. The EU is not a prison. 

The EU may face another crisis if the Catalans vote in their "illegal" referendum to secede from Spain. The Spanish government will never recognize such a vote but ignoring it may lead Spain into turmoil and intensify similar demands by the Basques.

The EU loathes all nationalism because it has imperialist ambitions of its own. Therefore they don't welcome any new countries and threaten  Catalans that they won't be accepted into the EU if they secede from Spain.

There is a joke going around that there will be a new Spanish civil-war so that Spain will avoid taking part in the WW III.

The EU actively encouraged the break-up of Yugoslavia and the break-up of Serbia by recognizing Kosovo which is a totally dysfunctional state which would collapse without foreign aid.

Now the same EU discourage Catalonians. They discouraged the Scots too but I expect after Brexit there will be a different view on the Scots.

The right-wing PP-party which is currently the government-party of Spain is the descendant of Franco's falangist-regime. Catalonia has traditionally been very left-leaning. Hence no surprises about the animosities but the behaviour of the Spanish authorities still takes anyone by surprise. Do they think that the harder they beat civilians the less they will want catalonia to be independent?

On 2017-09-29 at 9:10 PM, -TSS- said:

The EU may face another crisis if the Catalans vote in their "illegal" referendum to secede from Spain. The Spanish government will never recognize such a vote but ignoring it may lead Spain into turmoil and intensify similar demands by the Basques.

The EU loathes all nationalism because it has imperialist ambitions of its own. Therefore they don't welcome any new countries and threaten  Catalans that they won't be accepted into the EU if they secede from Spain.

There is a joke going around that there will be a new Spanish civil-war so that Spain will avoid taking part in the WW III.

In human history, very few countries have welcomed secession; war is the time-honoured response to such movements. The votes in Scotland and Quebec show that such issues can be handled in a new way. This is what the EU and Spain need to learn, as does nearly every other country in the world, including the US. 

Today Catalonia could declare independence. If they do that the regional leader of the province is going to be arrested on the orders by the Spanish PM.

The situation has reached a point that there is no way out so that both sides of the argument could save their faces.

Catalonia has declared independence! Nobody will recognize it, yet but it is the gesture which counts. How will Madrid react? Will they order the army into catalonia and have the regional politicians arrested?

To add to the previous: Despite declaring to abide by the referendum-result the region will seek a dialogue with Madrid to achieve common understanding.

However, neither side can back off now without losing face.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting to know why this Catalonia-issue seems to have got most globalists on their backfeet in their vehement opposition to the very idea of an independent Catalonia.

I can understand their feelings about Brexit and Trump which both were bitter defeats for globalists and both may have consequences for the rest of the world but why is Catalonia such an important issue that the globalists are willing to use their powder on?

My only explanation to it is that the globalists detests any kind of nationalism and a birth of a new country is very much nationalism.

4 hours ago, -TSS- said:

It would be interesting to know why this Catalonia-issue seems to have got most globalists on their backfeet in their vehement opposition to the very idea of an independent Catalonia.

Well, it's hard to see how it *helps* globalism.

4 hours ago, -TSS- said:

I can understand their feelings about Brexit and Trump which both were bitter defeats for globalists and both may have consequences for the rest of the world but why is Catalonia such an important issue that the globalists are willing to use their powder on?

Ways it hurts globalism include: adding complexity, increasing the number of stakeholders at the table, risk of smaller markets.

4 hours ago, -TSS- said:

My only explanation to it is that the globalists detests any kind of nationalism and a birth of a new country is very much nationalism.

They only detest it if it challenges their revenue planning.  There are good uses for nationalism, including marketing campaigns, election campaigns, military campaigns.  At some point, though, they may finally start to see it as too cumbersome and admit that it stopped meaning anything after 1991.

I wonder, according to the Spanish constitution is there any lawful mechanism for the Catalans to become independent. I'm sure that the US declaration of independence was certainly illegal from the British point of view.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:39 AM, betsy said:

This latest move by European Union - which definitely shows you don't have sovereignty once you're a member - might shaken up other EU countries that are already having second thoughts about EU.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/east-europe-cant-refuse-refugees-court/news-story/9e93570f20dc0b8210fb916ff4c21964

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/839308/Migrant-crisis-Italian-MEP-refugee-arrivals-threaten-EU-future

There were rumors before of Greece and France (before victory of Macron), to likely follow UK in leaving the EU.  But so far, it seems no one else is making a move.

There is an EU program to resettle migrants outside of EU.  We're doing trade with EU, right?  I wonder if  any caveat of quota to fill, is part of that trade deal?

If only the people would be able to have a say as to who gets in for a change? Here in Canada even though we are not part of the EU we are still being forced to take in refugees that Canadians never asked for. I wonder when will we the people ever get to have a say about anything? Should I just give up any hope of that ever happening? I actually thought that I was the boss, but obviously I was wrong. My MP is. As they say, politicians are suppose to know better and do know what is best for all of us taxpaying serfs. We serfs are so stupid and clueless about the world, aren't we, eh? 

• 4 weeks later...

Today December 6th marks the 100th anniversary of the Finnish declaration of independence in 1917. A lot of parties and other festivities here today.

For me it is just a nice day-off as otherwise the whole idea of Finnish independence is just pretending. In reality we are a province of the EU-superstate.

Appropriate video:

Edited by -TSS-