Sailors in trouble for being patriotic

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Really? So immigrants who just got here? What are they? Because we're assured that a new Canadians is every bit, if not more deserving of the title than someone whose family has lived here for generations. Despite that, natives are assumed to have more moral right to this land than we do. Why? And can you name any other country in the world which entitles the conquered to more rights than the conquerors of old?

I'm just stating the obvious. We are new arrivals by comparison. The First Nations have been here for many thousands of years. And I hope humanity can move beyond this conqueror/conquered stuff or we are all doomed to perpetual conflict.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

You know, all this kind of makes me understand where some of the support for Trump comes from. It's like there's nobody who stands up for us, except someone like him. Our politicians are all spineless, groveling wimps eager to do anything to assuage the endless whining of this or that identity group. Every group, including the natives, shits on our heritage and our culture and our ancestors but no one is allowed to say anything against theirs. In Quebec, they can and do say whatever bigoted, anti-anglo thing comes to mind, be it politicians, media, academia or artistic elites, and nobody cares - because most of them agree. But say one thing bad about Francophones and the mainstream English media is pulling its hair out in horror and demanding your head.

If a Trump appears in Canada, hopefully smarter than the real thing, I think I might well support him.

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I'm just stating the obvious. We are new arrivals by comparison. The First Nations have been here for many thousands of years. And I hope humanity can move beyond this conqueror/conquered stuff or we are all doomed to perpetual cinfluct. 

But they won't. Nor is anyone encouraging them to do so. Even calling them nations is a ludicrous attempt to assuage their wounded pride. They are, for the most part, the descendants of primitive hunter/gatherer tribes.

Edited by Argus

8 hours ago, Argus said:

But they won't. Nor is anyone encouraging them to do so. Even calling them nations is a ludicrous attempt to assuage their wounded pride. They are, for the most part, the descendants of primitive hunter/gatherer tribes.

As are we.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Argus said:

Our politicians have no spines. I guess it's a requirement now. If you have a spine the media will jump all over you as an insensitive retrograde caveman. I wonder what else we'll change as soon as some native objects. How about the name of the country? How about everything named after any white person in history? I mean, none of them were suitably sensitive to the needs of natives, right?

Would someone ask Argus what's preventing his ilk from growing a spine and taking matters into their own hands? Are they afraid the police will arrest them? Grow a spine.

On 2017-7-15 at 11:49 AM, Argus said:

Really? So immigrants who just got here? What are they? Because we're assured that a new Canadians is every bit, if not more deserving of the title than someone whose family has lived here for generations. Despite that, natives are assumed to have more moral right to this land than we do. Why? And can you name any other country in the world which entitles the conquered to more rights than the conquerors of old?

They weren't conquered, never surrendered.

We made peace treaties for use of the land.

Indigenous peoples have legal rights on the land.

22 minutes ago, jacee said:

They weren't conquered, never surrendered.

We made peace treaties for use of the land.

Indigenous peoples have legal rights on the land.

Of course they were conquered. Or we wouldn't be here. And all Canadians have legal rights on the land.

On 2017-7-16 at 3:09 PM, Argus said:

Of course they were conquered. Or we wouldn't be here. And all Canadians have legal rights on the land.

Yes we have the legal right to share the land, by treaties.

There was no conquer, no surrender.

Indigenous Peoples retain their land rights in Canada.

Don't confuse us with the USA.

We made treaties long after they stopped.

Being patriotic is so gauche, you know. I mean, what is their to be proud about in a shitty country like this? Don't you realize that our entire history is made up of one outrageous abusive action after another? Well, if you're a Liberal you sure do. But apparently there are still people who take pride in the country, and the Liberals are doing their best to end that as quickly as possible.

The Canadian Museum of History, for example, has changed under Liberal rule. It now focuses mostly on native history, and when it does refer to the 'settler' population it mostly prefers to depict our abuses against natives. Legions of schoolkids will be paraded through their every year to learn that they should be ashamed of being Canadian. Well unless they're 'indigenous' of course.

Now the new citizenship guide is being passed around. It's more of the same. Gone are any references to barbaric cultural practices. Who are we to judge whether wife beating/killing or female genital mutilation is a bad thing, after all, given what a disgusting people we are? Yes, the new guide dwells in great length on the horrible behavior of Canadians past, especially in our treatment of natives. The most important task for newcomers is to know that they must respect native treaties and feel ashamed of our history. Like Liberals are.

I said a few posts back that the way the Left sneers at and disparages everything about Canada and its history is one of the reasons people like Trump enjoy success. I eagerly await one rising here in Canada.

The draft guide delves extensively into the history and present-day lives of Indigenous Peoples, including multiple references to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s report on residential schools and a lengthy section on what happened at those schools. The current guide contains a single paragraph.

The draft also devotes substantive sections to sad chapters of Canadian history when the Chinese, South Asians, Jews and disabled Canadians were discriminated against, references that were absent or exceptionally limited previously.

http://nationalpost.com/g00/news/canada/taxes-census-treaties-described-as-obligations-of-citizenship-in-new-guide/wcm/016bf5ad-58df-4924-82b4-78ea5168e768?i10c.referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fnationalpost.com%2F

I remain patriotic. 

One would hope those kids being marched through the museum realize their ancestors were no worse than anyone elses.  Just stronger and better equipped.

15 minutes ago, Argus said:

I said a few posts back that the way the Left sneers at and disparages everything about Canada and its history is one of the reasons people like Trump enjoy success. I eagerly await one rising here in Canada

Trumps success is more likely due to the fact that the right are as racist ad bigoted as he is. Hopefully your wait is a really lengthy one.

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

Trumps success is more likely due to the fact that the right are as racist ad bigoted as he is. Hopefully your wait is a really lengthy one.

Actually Trump's success was due to Hillary.  If she hadn't called them all deplorables she'd be President now.

Edited by bcsapper

20 minutes ago, Argus said:

I said a few posts back that the way the Left sneers at and disparages everything about Canada and its history is one of the reasons people like Trump enjoy success. I eagerly await one rising here in Canada.

Yes, let's pretend we're so perfect and so much better than those nasty immigrants.

Gone are any references to barbaric cultural practices. Who are we to judge whether wife beating/killing or female genital mutilation is a bad thing, after all, given what a disgusting people we are? 

It's pure stupidity to think that not mentioning an illegal act in a guidebook somehow makes it legal or acceptable.  Did the guide ever mention driving drunk, jaywalking, or mowing over pedestrians with a car as being 'illegal'?  Did that make those activities legal or acceptable for immigrants?

The lack of logic among the right is mind-boggling.

I suppose if driving drunk, jaywalking, or mowing over pedestrians with a car were considered okay elsewhere, it might be a good idea to mention it. 

Edited by bcsapper

13 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

and completely unrelated to the alt-left racists in Canada who cheer for Trudeau.

You display your usual lack of knowledge as to the English language. You only seem to know things military. Were you one of the folks who helped the US illegally invade all those poor countries? Your love for war criminals/terrorists, eg. Bush and Cheney speaks volumes about your sense of morality.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I remain patriotic. 

One would hope those kids being marched through the museum realize their ancestors were no worse than anyone elses.  Just stronger and better equipped.

That will not be a part of the visit. No one ever, EVER talks about how nasty and mean and discriminatory and politically incorrect towards minorities the local rulers of India were in 1700 or 1800, or the rulers of Arabia or the rulers of China or the rulers of anywhere else. Nor do the brainless set who call themselves progressives ever consider context or compare us with other nations of the time.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Actually Trump's success was due to Hillary.  If she hadn't called them all deplorables she'd be President now.

A lot of Trump's success is with people simply sick and tired of the pathetic identity politics the Democrats have become obsessed with over the past decade. Ordinary people are fed up with the sneering pseudy-intellectual, trendy progressive set who deride anyone who fails to share their desperate concern with identity politics as racist and islamophobic and backward. They love that Trump puts his finger in their eyes and drivers them crazy. Canada's Liberals, of course, are every bit as trendy and contemptuous of others.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Yes, let's pretend we're so perfect and so much better than those nasty immigrants.

Trigger Alert! Logic ahead! 

You might want to run now.

fair warning.

Immigrants are coming here for one reason, because Canada is way better than where they come from. It's way better than where they come from because of the people here, because of what we've built and how we maintain it. Only a deluded fool would continue to believe there is no superiority in the way our cultural values and beliefs have developed over theirs.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

It's pure stupidity to think that not mentioning an illegal act in a guidebook somehow makes it legal or acceptable.

And yet the guide feels the need to repeatedly bring up native abuse, and residential schools to condemn them for... some reason. Why is that, exactly? We can't bring ourselves to condemn a nearly universal practice among your people in Egypt, for example, and remind people not to bring it here, but we insist immigrants must wallow in the same shame and guilt trip the Liberals do over our past politically incorrect behaviour.

22 minutes ago, Argus said:

Immigrants are coming here for one reason, because Canada is way better than where they come from. It's way better than where they come from because of the people here, because of what we've built and how we maintain it. Only a deluded fool would continue to believe there is no superiority in the way our cultural values and beliefs have developed over theirs.

Trigger Alert! Logic ahead! 

You might want to run now. [all you do is run, Argus "the defender of the right".]

fair warning.

Immigrants are coming here, how on earth have you, the defender of the right, missed it? because the US and other western nations have made their homelands a place of death, misery, destruction, horrible memories, ... . 

41 minutes ago, Argus said:

No one ever, EVER talks about how nasty and mean and discriminatory and politically incorrect towards minorities the local rulers of India were in 1700 or 1800, or the rulers of Arabia or the rulers of China or the rulers of anywhere else. Nor do the brainless set who call themselves progressives ever consider context or compare us with other nations of the time.

“There is something horribly hypocritical about passing judgment on another human being’s actions from the comfort and safety of an armchair. Even more hypocritical is making moral pronouncements on others’ actions having judged them by moral standards that they neither knew nor could conceive.”

This phenomenon has become so common that it has even been given a name: “Presentism” is the anachronistic introduction of present-day ideas and perspectives into depictions or interpretations of the past.

I believe that’s what Dan Paul has done in his July 9 letter (“Reconciliation When?”). His treatment of Edward Cornwallis (governor of Nova Scotia/Acadia from 1749 to 1752) is one-sided, unbalanced, revisionist and applies today’s standards to 18th century colonial warfare.

Conquest and colonization did not suddenly begin around 1500 when Western Europeans commenced the founding of their overseas empires. Conquest was not just something undertaken by “dead white men.” Many other races and ethnic groups established empires during the course of history.

Conquest and colonization date back to the time when humans first walked erect. Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, Macedonians, Romans, Chinese, Arabs, Ashanti, Moguls, Mongols, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Incas, Aztecs, Zulus and Turks — to name but a few — invaded other regions, conquered locals and took over their areas for their own. Western Europeans are simply among the latest groups in this timeless march of conquest. This does not make it right; it is simply an indisputable fact of human history.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1299823-scapegoating-cornwallis-who-are-we-to-judge-history

You have to wonder why indigenous peoples want to erase elements of Canada's past. If they continue on this path, there will be nothing left in which to condemn the white man and his enablers. What will they do then?

Edited by capricorn

33 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Who are we, opinion person? We are the people who live in the shadown of the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunals. We are the people who know that those who committed genocide knew full well it was evil, deeply amoral, completely wrong because they were the very people who hid it all. If it had actually been some grand, noble venture, it would have a huge presence in our history books, our universities would have been singing its praises soon after John A McGenocide started his evil government policy.

Had it been beneficent, it would not have had such evil grasping after wealth.

It's of an equal evil to defend such evil. 

Edited by hot enough