Compensating Khadr

Justice Wilson-Raybould is correct:

“I hope Canadians take away two things today,” Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould told reporters in Ottawa, standing alongside Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale. “First, our rights are not subject to the whims of the government of the day. And second, there are serious costs when the government violates the rights of its citizens.”

3 minutes ago, marcus said:

Justice Wilson-Raybould is correct:

“I hope Canadians take away two things today,” Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould told reporters in Ottawa, standing alongside Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale. “First, our rights are not subject to the whims of the government of the day. And second, there are serious costs when the government violates the rights of its citizens.”

Serious costs ?    Yeah, about $25,000 for residential school victims (alive or dead), but $10.5 million for a convicted war criminal.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Serious costs ?    Yeah, about $25,000 for residential school victims (alive or dead), but $10.5 million for a convicted war criminal.

Convicted by a kangaroo court.

That said, do continue trying to compare apples and oranges, to try to make...some kind of point.

You're always buzzing around, trying to put Canada down and telling anyone who would listen how much you don't care for her and how insignificant she is. What happened between you and Canada?

18 minutes ago, marcus said:

Convicted by a kangaroo court.

That said, do continue trying to compare apples and oranges, to try to make...some kind of point.

The point is obvious, as is the political backlash in Canada.   Some Canadians' charter rights are more valuable than others, eh ?

You're always buzzing around, trying to put Canada down and telling anyone who would listen how much you don't care for her and how insignificant she is. What happened between you and Canada?

Just playing the same game that some Canadians enjoy so much.  

Seems it is easier for them to dish it out than take it in return.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's because there are plenty of slow ass, kangaroo courts all over Canada already.   

Recommended by war criminals and jihadists alike.

We don't actually. And we  also do not reject our constitution holus bolus such as your namesake did.

5 minutes ago, Omni said:

We don't actually. And we  also do not reject our constitution holus bolus such as your namesake did.

Yeppers....slowest ass court system in the world.    Rights are violated all the time for lack of a timely process.

Can't wait for the bleeding heart Canadians to cry for the latest terrorist arrested in the U.S. for stabbing a police officer in Michigan.

He is prolly shopping right now in his mind with all the stacks of  taxpayer cash that Trudeau will give him after we get done with him.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

10 hours ago, hot enough said:

You are squarely on the conspiracy team, Michael, you always have been, with absolutely nothing to support your position. Which is why you always flee.

The fact you put people on "teams" speaks to the fact you are still in the playground. You are also deluded if you think I or anyone flees from your nonsense though we do ignore most of it and as for me I have to hand it to you, you are the only forum member I actually have ignored responding to.  I have never shown anyone that contempt before. There's a first for everything I guess.

2 hours ago, Omni said:

We?  Now you speak for Canada. Its bad enough Trudeau did and does, now you?  Prime Minister Omni.

On that note its time to separate and engage in terrorism to do so because you will then pay me millions and I can live happily after laughing at you.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

How many murdering war criminals and terrorists has you paid over $10 million dollars...errr...pesos ?

I get stuck paying for Omni and others like him every day. Thanks for reminding me. I hear Omar will be a host on Saturday Night Live next year and then get a reality show.

Can't wait.

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Hey now, are you not enjoying the picture of our national hero Omar? Come on Marcus showed you he's a hero. He smiles. He also reminded me the Justice Minister is a presumptious sphincter muscle thinking she should lecture anyone and not raise the issue of the doctrine of clean hands as to the amount awarded.

It shows how Liberals don't  pursue  the law and all the legal issues involved but stop and select only those manouvers of the law suitable to support their selective political  agenda. This Justice Minister is a sell out.

She's watched as her Prime Minister has made a farse of the inquiry as to  murdered indigenous women. She's watched as he has spewed patronizing meaningless platitudes at native people. She's allowed him to break and undermine immigration and refuge laws and render the refugee determination system a shambles. She's sat on her buttox while her government refused to consider the implications of forgoing a nominal award because she is a political coward and would not do the right and difficult thing and that would be to  pursue a legal issue she had an obligation to and that is to argue the clean hands doctrine to reduce the amount to a nominal one.

She has lowered herself to a crass political flunkie by refusing to pursue that argument because this isn't about paying for sins, its about paying off a terrorist to avoid dealing with Chretien's mistake.. This was about pre-empting a serious legal discussion that has implications on all laws because she and her government don't want to take responsibility for what Chretiens did, period. Its a pay off to avoid a monumental liberal mistake. She and the government abandon their role to uphold our laws and protect them from compromise  refusing to ask for a  nominal amount.

I am sure the picture of Kadr goes up in Marcus's bed room next to a shirtless Justin. I always thought Justin's nipples were too big. Call me fussy.

Also if I were the pr handlers of Omar before they get him his reality show I would get rid of the uni-brow. ts too Cro-Magnon for mainstream recruitment posters.

Edited by Rue

9 hours ago, jacee said:

Imo we never should have put our soldiers in harm's way for the US's wars-for-profit.

"The subsequent invasion of Afghanistan by the United States and coalition troops in 2001 began a new phase in the history of Afghanistan, as many old resource projects were assessed again, and new ones were initiated.[24]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Afghanistan

Your source is full of shit....Yes the US did do a surveys of afghans resources.....and yes they found lots of minerals, and while some new mines were opened up by Chinese mining companies , that is far from your claim of Afghan bring a war for profit....My question to you is why would the US spend bils fighting this war and then pull out , without stripping all these resources....not to mention the failed attempt at putting in a pipe line...that never got built, instead the same oil companies did build a new pipe line and took the long way around afghan, not through it..... 

7 hours ago, Omni said:

First of all they weren't tortured for 10 years. Second of all they were murdered by terrorists. Khadr was jailed by a phony court. If you don't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.

Give a source that proves the court was phony.....Is Canada in the habit of upholding sentences handed out by a phony court....I think your pulling to much info out of your arse....

8 hours ago, Omni said:

And sadly there are a number of people on here who don't understand, or don't care about our Charter. They seem to be happy to throw it away based on the fact they don't like this particular case/ guy. Luckily/hopefully cooler heads will prevail, which I guess is how we have created a legal system that is the envy of the world. 

I doubt a legal system that can't get major cases to court for five, six or more years and regularly has charges for serious violent crimes thrown out just because of it, is the envy of the world. But that is another topic.

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Your source is full of shit....Yes the US did do a surveys of afghans resources.....and yes they found lots of minerals, and while some new mines were opened up by Chinese mining companies , that is far from your claim of Afghan bring a war for profit....My question to you is why would the US spend bils fighting this war and then pull out , without stripping all these resources....not to mention the failed attempt at putting in a pipe line...that never got built, instead the same oil companies did build a new pipe line and took the long way around afghan, not through it..... 

If the US was there for a 'humanitarian' war, why the hell did they do surveys of Afghanistan's resources?

Don't worry, Army Guy, the cabal of the rich elite that really runs the US will profit hugely from those resources sooner or later, one way or another. The American people, who paid all those billions for the war machine, will see none of it. 

War isn't about people. It's about profits for the rich elite. US soldiers are just glorified security for the rich to rape and pillage a country.

Now Syria ... 

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

Nope. Brokered deal. It never went to the courts. 

The government was found guilty by the Supreme Court of Canada of violating Khadr's Charter rights. The remedy for that was left up to the government. Khadr sued the government for $20m. The government settled out of court for $10.5m.

The gov could have refused to settle, in which case the court would have ruled on the lawsuit, possibly for the full $20m plus costs. 

Those were the government's choices. Which do you prefer?

By the way, Khadr can now finally pay his lawyer. How much do you think he'll have left after that?

There MUST be very serious consequences if the government violates Charter rights of any Canadian. Otherwise, the government will soon be violating the Charter rights of every Canadian.

Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile.

Let's just remind ourselves what those legal rights are:

Legal Rights

Marginal note:Life, liberty and security of person

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

Marginal note:Search or seizure

8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.

Marginal note:Detention or imprisonment

9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

Marginal note:Arrest or detention

10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention

• (a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;

• (b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and

• (c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

Marginal note:Proceedings in criminal and penal matters

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right

• (a) to be informed without unreasonable delay of the specific offence;

• (b) to be tried within a reasonable time;

• (c) not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence;

• (d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;

• (e) not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause;

• (f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment;

• (g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;

• (h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again; and

• (i) if found guilty of the offence and if the punishment for the offence has been varied between the time of commission and the time of sentencing, to the benefit of the lesser punishment.

Marginal note:Treatment or punishment

12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

Marginal note:Self-crimination

13. A witness who testifies in any proceedings has the right not to have any incriminating evidence so given used to incriminate that witness in any other proceedings, except in a prosecution for perjury or for the giving of contradictory evidence.

Marginal note:Interpreter

14. A party or witness in any proceedings who does not understand or speak the language in which the proceedings are conducted or who is deaf has the right to the assistance of an interpreter.

Equality Rights

Marginal note:Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law
  • 15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

16 minutes ago, Boges said:

Who cares about what courts said. The Liberals handing over $10.5 mil and giving an apology is horrible optics. 

It's not like they have a choice.

Chretien, Martin and Harper all avoided the 'bad optics' by violating Khadr's Charter rights, leaving Trudeau to 'make it right'.

The courts do take precedence over political optics. :/

Any one of them would have to be doing the same thing now. 

Edited by jacee

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Give a source that proves the court was phony.....Is Canada in the habit of upholding sentences handed out by a phony court....I think your pulling to much info out of your arse....

How about the SCOTUS? Wake up and do some research before you make am arse of yourself.