Ex-Doctor with a bunch of felonies refuses to get off plane and gets what he deserves

H10

38 minutes ago, kactus said:

I h

I hope he gets every dollar he can get for this unprofessional behaviour. Overbooking the flights is NOT the passengers problem but the airline...

Overbooking is what the airlines have to do because they know that a certain number of people will not make their flight. Sometimes they're late at the original flight or sometimes they're late getting through screening or sometimes their connecting flight is late or sometimes they just don't show up for a variety of reasons. The airlines either do this or they charge more for every ticket. 

Fact remains that he had a valid ticket and the brutality he received from the staff is absolutely OTT.

What 'brutality'? I saw no 'brutality'. None. I didn't see him getting punched or jabbed or slapped or anything. I saw them trying to persuade him to leave then grabbing at him and trying to pull him from his seat while he clung to the arm of his chair crying like an out-of-control three year old.

Whaah! Whaaaah! Whaaah! I don't wanna go to daycare! Whaaa!

Best way to get airliners like UA to make sure next time they won't overbook their flights....I am sure if you were at the receiving end of this you wouldn't want to be treated that way....

I would not be on the receiving end of this because I'm an adult, and I'm not in the habit of throwing temper tantrums when I don't get my way. If overbooking is not permitted then either all seats will cost more, or alternatively you will be charged for your seat even if you miss the plane. You want to pay another thousand bucks because the security screening took too long?

28 minutes ago, betsy said:

The moron(s) on that plane would be the employees of United Airlines.  What were they thinking????  :lol:

I assume they were thinking they needed to get this psychotic man-child off the plane so they could take off. Where do you live, Betsy? I'm going to come over to your house and sit my ass in front of your door and refuse to move. You better not call the cops to move me, because I'll refuse their orders and if they drag me away I'm suing YOU for millions of dollars.

28 minutes ago, betsy said:

See the repercussion of that rash decision to involve the cops?  Not only did the stocks drop, their CEO got dragged to the hot seat, and this video will go viral on forever - it even resurrected these videos (also about United Airlines):

Their stock dropped because the last two days have been down days on the market. It's already recovered half of what it lost and will likely recover the rest within a week or so. I really don't get why everyone is upset that this loser got dragged away by the cops. The cops do this all the time. It\s their job. If this guy actually gets a payoff from this you know what we can expect? We can expect more and more people to give cops the finger in hopes that i they have to use force to drag them off they'll then find some shyster to sue and make them some money.

I mean, the people who obeyed the law and exited the plane must be kicking themselves now! If only they'd stayed and clung to their hairs and screamed and howled and made the police drag them off they could be millionaires!

Yeah, this is a great incentive to an orderly society you got there Betsy.

22 hours ago, Boges said:

The fact that the Doctor in question was a drama queen that made a scene is irrelevant.

The idea of forcibly removing someone from a plane because you need to get employees to Louisville for free is bad PR and United is suffering for it. 

They should have decided who would get bumped before they boarded the plane. 

Absolutely true. Nonetheless, it doesn't change the fact this man violated federal and state law by refusing the orders of the crew and then refusing the orders of and physically resisting police.

53 minutes ago, kactus said:

I h

I hope he gets every dollar he can get for this unprofessional behaviour. Overbooking the flights is NOT the passengers problem but the airline...

Fact remains that he had a valid ticket and the brutality he received from the staff is absolutely OTT.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/video-police-united-airlines-flight-passenger-removed-plane-2017-4?r=US&IR=T

Best way to get airliners like UA to make sure next time they won't overbook their flights....I am sure if you were at the receiving end of this you wouldn't want to be treated that way....

I agree with you to an extent.....he was a paying customer who really, really, really, really, really wanted on that flight. 

But there were lots of other ways he could have handled the situation.  He chose the Moron route.  That's why I hope he never sees a dime.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Overbooking is what the airlines have to do because they know that a certain number of people will not make their flight. Sometimes they're late at the original flight or sometimes they're late getting through screening or sometimes their connecting flight is late or sometimes they just don't show up for a variety of reasons. The airlines either do this or they charge more for every ticket. 

This trend of overbooking has been invariably been affecting the UA and on the increasing line.... There's a correlation between these over bookings and increasing number of passengers being asked to leave their flights voluntarily. It is a slack in their system.

What 'brutality'? I saw no 'brutality'. None. I didn't see him getting punched or jabbed or slapped or anything. I saw them trying to persuade him to leave then grabbing at him and trying to pull him from his seat while he clung to the arm of his chair crying like an out-of-control three year old.

Whaah! Whaaaah! Whaaah! I don't wanna go to daycare! Whaaa!

The guys face is in blood! If that is not brutality then I don't know what it is...Have you watched the video? Bad choice to involve the police.

I would not be on the receiving end of this because I'm an adult, and I'm not in the habit of throwing temper tantrums when I don't get my way. If overbooking is not permitted then either all seats will cost more, or alternatively you will be charged for your seat even if you miss the plane. You want to pay another thousand bucks because the security screening took too long?

This is not about getting your own way...This guy has been randomly selected to leave the flight because of overbooking...He has a valid ticket and there is no reason why he should leave the flight. It is illogical to say we should put up with this Shtick just because the fare prices may increase. That is totally unacceptable! 

The very fact that the CEO of UA now has now apologised for insulting this passenger will pass on a message that one does not have to put up with an incompetent system of booking that should be the hall mark of prestigious airline companies 

18 hours ago, blackbird said:

Who cares what the criminal history of the passenger was?  He had a ticket and did not cause as disruption like the airline claimed.

I think I saw on TV that United Airlines shares dropped the other day by a billion dollars.  Wow!    Money and  millions of people have spoken.

The stock is already halfway recovered, and much of the drop which was only a couple of percent, was likely because the stock market dropped yesterday. As for him having a ticket, your ticket does not give you ownership of the aircraft, and it clearly states on your ticket and contract that the airline does not guarantee you a seat and that if circumstances arise they can put you on another flight instead. He CLEARLY caused a disruption by refusing lawful orders and physically resisting police.

14 hours ago, blackbird said:

Regardless of his history (which they did not know and is irrelevant), he did not create a disturbance. He simply refused to go. 

If I sit in front of your car and refuse to 'go' and you have to all police to forcibly remove me then that's creating a disturbance.

5 hours ago, betsy said:

We don't - and we never - try to justify UNNECESSARY  police brutality on civilians.

What brutality? What kind of a dainty, delicate, prancing mincing, whiny citizenry we have where police who are confronted by a physically resisting man are called out for 'brutality' for simply pulling him away without a single blow being landed.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

I agree with you to an extent.....he was a paying customer who really, really, really, really, really wanted on that flight. 

But there were lots of other ways he could have handled the situation.  He chose the Moron route.  That's why I hope he never sees a dime.

Explain to me pls how is putting up with such a primitive selection for overbooking by the airliner is moronic behaviour by a passenger?

Especially one that is a doctor and may have to be at an appointment?

IMO putting up with the kind of behaviour these airliners are enforcing is why we see lack of improvement in services. Maybe they will get their acts together maybe they don't. But the reality is someone has got to say enough is enough.

5 minutes ago, kactus said:

This trend of overbooking has been invariably been affecting the UA and on the increasing line.... There's a correlation between these over bookings and increasing number of passengers being asked to leave their flights voluntarily. It is a slack in their system.

The larger problem is there is almost no slack in the air traffic control system. It has not really expanded, nor are there more airports, in the last twenty years even though air travel has hugely expanded. Lots of flights are late, which means lots of people miss their connecting flight.

The guys face is in blood! If that is not brutality then I don't know what it is...

Yes, it's clear you don't know what brutality is. He clung to the seat arm and had to be yanked repeatedly to get him away. At some point he hit his face on another armrest or something. Entirely his fault.

Have you watched the video? Bad choice to involve the police.

I'll offer you the same choice I offered Betsy. Tell me where you live. I'll go and sit on your porch in your doorway blocking you from coming and going. And don't you dare all the police to have me ragged away or I'll sue you.

1 minute ago, kactus said:

Explain to me pls how is putting up with such a primitive selection for overbooking by the airliner is moronic behaviour by a passenger?

IMO putting up with the kind of behaviour these airliners are enforcing is why we see lack of improvement in services. Maybe they will get their acts together maybe they don't. But the reality is someone has got to say enough is enough.

Yup, life isn't fair sometimes.  

It's moronic because he is an ADULT having a hissy fit on a public airplane.  

If he said to the airline, "Hey, I'm a doctor and I'm needed for a life-saving surgery in Louisville ASAP".....I doubt the airline would have kicked him off.  They would have found someone else to take the money and free hotel room.

There were lots of ways for him to say "Enough is enough".  Having a hissy fit temper tantrum is the Moron way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kactus said:

You wanna spend billions of dollars on new and expanded airports, build more runways and hire more air traffic controllers? Well, the public doesn't want to, so more and more flights have to be jammed into the same small space.

Who would ever allow someone with this kind of immature judgement to be their doctor? I wouldn't let this guy fix my toilet.

Fine. They'll double the cost of every ticket and that will guarantee everyone a seat. Happy now?

The fact is, as everyone knows, if United improves services but has to charge five dollars more for a flight people will flock to a cheaper airline. All that matters is price.

Edited by Argus

1 minute ago, Argus said:

The larger problem is there is almost no slack in the air traffic control system. It has not really expanded, nor are there more airports, in the last twenty years even though air travel has hugely expanded. Lots of flights are late, which means lots of people miss their connecting flight.

So what is the solution?

Yes, it's clear you don't know what brutality is. He clung to the seat arm and had to be yanked repeatedly to get him away. At some point he hit his face on another armrest or something. Entirely his fault.

"Dao was treated for injuries he suffered to his face and a police officer involved in the incident has been placed on leave."

This came from the article from BusinessInsider I posted here earlier....I ask you this why does he have to abandon his flight when he holds a valid ticket?

I'll offer you the same choice I offered Betsy. Tell me where you live. I'll go and sit on your porch in your doorway blocking you from coming and going. And don't you dare all the police to have me ragged away or I'll sue you.

Wrong analogy to draw a parallel. He bought a service to fly an airline with a valid ticket. You on the other hand will be a squatter if you came and sat at the porch...  

8 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yup, life isn't fair sometimes.  

It's moronic because he is an ADULT having a hissy fit on a public airplane.  

If he said to the airline, "Hey, I'm a doctor and I'm needed for a life-saving surgery in Louisville ASAP".....I doubt the airline would have kicked him off.  They would have found someone else to take the money and free hotel room.

There were lots of ways for him to say "Enough is enough".  Having a hissy fit temper tantrum is the Moron way.

Just watch the video I posted earlier. In that link he said this:

"I am a physician and I have to work tomorrow"

It is just not right to compromise a passenger's experience of flying a supposed to be reputable airline. That's just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, kactus said:

So what is the solution?

Build more runways and beef up the air traffic control system. But that costs money, and people don't want to pay.

"Dao was treated for injuries he suffered to his face and a police officer involved in the incident has been placed on leave."

He was 69. When you're old and get yanked around and bumped you can get injured. But that was entirely his fault. The bureaucrats are obviously desperate to do PR but I don't see a thing these cops did wrong.

This came from the article from BusinessInsider I posted here earlier....I ask you this why does he have to abandon his flight when he holds a valid ticket?

Your ticket comes with notice that the airline can withdraw their services at any time for any reason and that you are not guaranteed a seat on a particular aircraft. You can protest all you want, but you have to get off the aircraft if you're told to, even if they're being unreasonable. That's the law.

Wrong analogy to draw a parallel. He bought a service to fly an airline with a valid ticket. You on the other hand will be a squatter if you came and sat at the porch...  

He broke the law by refusing the orders of the crew and he broke the law by refusing orders of police. So the lawbreaking part is the same. Except the laws he broke are much more severe.

Edited by Argus

Just watch the video I posted earlier. In that link he said this:

"I am a physician and I have to work tomorrow"

It is just not right to compromise a passenger's experience of flying a supposed to be reputable airline. That's just my opinion. 

Yes, I am agreeing with you that it was a crappy situation.  Getting bumped from a flight is crappy.  We all know it happens.  We all know it could happen to us one day.

I'm just saying that having a hissy fit like a 2 year old, doesn't help.

My feeling from the videos are that he clearly wanted to "make his point".  He clearly wanted to make a scene.

He was offered compensation for being bumped.

He doesn't deserve any compensation for the gong show HE created.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

The stock is already halfway recovered, and much of the drop which was only a couple of percent, was likely because the stock market dropped yesterday. As for him having a ticket, your ticket does not give you ownership of the aircraft, and it clearly states on your ticket and contract that the airline does not guarantee you a seat and that if circumstances arise they can put you on another flight instead. He CLEARLY caused a disruption by refusing lawful orders and physically resisting police.

If the price is right, people will still fly with United. People don't generally have brand loyalty with airlines.

But several days of news cycles and United is still be made fun of on Social Media. They'll be wearing this for awhile.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

If I sit in front of your car and refuse to 'go' and you have to all police to forcibly remove me then that's creating a disturbance.

You're using a completely different set of circumstances.  As a judge I would say inadmissible evidence. Award the passenger damages and expenses.  This was simply for the convenience of the airline company.  They should have found another solution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argus said:

I assume they were thinking they needed to get this psychotic man-child off the plane so they could take off.

They have not exhausted all the options.   First of all, it's UA that has created a big problem when they overbook.  They should've anticipated scenarios like this. 

Why don't they up the ante, until someone volunteers?  Give the flight for free to anyone who volunteers to take another flight, and give free accomodation until that next flight.  Keep upping the ante until someone volunteers.  Money talks.    It'll cost UA, yes....boooo-hooo-hoooo....too bad.

United Airlines wants to have its cake, and eat it too.....that's the problem here.  At the expense of,  and to the detriment of its customers.  The effing nerve!

I'm sure no passengers of UA had ever imagined that they'll be dealt with brutality if ever they get into a dispute over something like this. 

BOTTOM-LINE:  This man didn't commit any crime.  He wasn't an unruly passenger, either. 

Where do you live, Betsy? I'm going to come over to your house and sit my ass in front of your door and refuse to move. You better not call the cops to move me, because I'll refuse their orders and if they drag me away I'm suing YOU for millions of dollars.

Wrong!  I can sic the cops on you - I may even sic a pitbull on you if I feel I'm being threatened by your presence on my property.   If you even make the wrong move, I just might shoot you where you sit on my front step!

Unless my home is deemed as a "public place," if you're not invited....you're a trespasser!  A menacing trespasser at that.

Their stock dropped because the last two days have been down days on the market. It's already recovered half of what it lost and will likely recover the rest within a week or so. I really don't get why everyone is upset that this loser got dragged away by the cops. The cops do this all the time. It\s their job. If this guy actually gets a payoff from this you know what we can expect? We can expect more and more people to give cops the finger in hopes that i they have to use force to drag them off they'll then find some shyster to sue and make them some money.

I mean, the people who obeyed the law and exited the plane must be kicking themselves now!

All that is irrelevant! 

UA's policy with overbooking should've included anticipating this kind of reaction from some passengers.  They should've had a tactful plan B!

It's not the first time their policy shows contempt towards their passengers.  Just look at that case of the guitar!

Theor frontline people are morons - and their executives are arrogant! 

If only they'd stayed and clung to their hairs and screamed and howled and made the police drag them off they could be millionaires!

If this guy wins in court.......they all should!

Yeah, this is a great incentive to an orderly society you got there Betsy.

It's a great incentive to get greedy, arrogant companies to stop treating people like dirt!

Edited by betsy

UA CEO tried to demonize this man to his employee in his memo.  He said the man was being belligerent! 

HE WAS NOT!

I suppose CEO Munoz had to backtrack when video surfaced showing moments before Dr Dao got dragged!

What a doober.

Edited by betsy