Concordia University bomb hoaxer out on bail

The suspect in the recent bomb threat at Concordia University in Montreal that caused it to shutdown for most of March 1st is out on bail. Hisham Saadi, 47, is facing charges of inciting terrorism fears, transmitting death threats, and mischief. We know that he is from Lebanon, but we do not know his religion if any.  He is not scheduled to reappear until April so it will be some time until we learn any more. What seemed to provoke him to create his anti-Muslim threat was students using the sink in the public (university) washroom to wash their feet prior to prayer. This is a common ritual that Muslims practice, and also serves a practical purpose as they want to keep their prayer mats clean.

There is no excuse for the threatening letter an subsequent turmoil it caused and if found guilty then Mr. Saadi deserves appropriate sentencing. That being said, it still raises the question about accommodating religious practices in public institutions like universities and the impact on other patrons. Should prayer be treated like any other student extracurricular activity, and in this case one that may need special facilities. Generally universities allow clubs and groups to operate subject to certain rules, like being open to the larger student body. I a few cases there is discrimination, and certainly controversy surrounding that discrimination (e.g. hours a gym is only open to female students). Some clubs only require a room of appropriate size to meet, and other require special facilities. Generally athletic oriented activities have change rooms and showers, some technical clubs might require a lab or at least place to keep their rockets, etc. I believe other faith groups, and certainly political groups operate in most universities. If given enough demand, should universities (generally operated through a student union) accommodate Muslim students for prayers, perhaps by having facilities like the fountains in/outside some mosques to allow them to perform their cleansing ritual.

• Downvote 1

Would you want to use the sink after someone washed his or her feet in.  not really.....The idea of washing their feet is not new, if they had gone out of their way to give them a place to pray, then why would they not take into account all that imcompasses that, including a place to wash your feet...

....or they could clean up after themselves?  Why should someone else have to clean up after their foot-washing?

Note:  I feel this applies to everyone using washrooms, not just Muslims.  For example:  I see lots of people "cleaning up" and brushing teeth, etc, in airport washrooms.  Perfectly fine.  Just clean up after yourselves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dialamah said:

Seems an over reaction to foot washing in a public washroom so I'm venturing a guess he has other issues.

Since he's apparently a Lebanese Christian I'm sure he has had lots of 'issues' with Muslims in his life. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Do you have any confirmation of that? There has been lots of speculation, but I have seen nothing to confirm his religion if any.

We know he's a Lebanese immigrant. If he's offended to the point of calling in a bomb threat at Muslims washing their feet in the fountain we can be pretty sure he ain't Muslim. I don't think there are a lot of Lebanese Jews or Hindus so that leaves Christian.

. I think we again are treading politely around an issue of religious accommodation. Today I don't feel like being polite.

There are people in all religions who demand they be accommodated in public places. The problem is in Canada we are polite and don't want to say no to some things and from a practical perspective may have to.

We have transgenders who want their own bathroomsnow , pregnant women who want changing rooms with their bath-rooms, now we have people wanting to change bathrooms into places to clean and wash for Islamic prayer rituals.

Yah turn the sink into a bath-tub. No hygiene problems there. I know I want to wash my hands where you wash your feet. No problem.

Oh its a problem and it aint got nothing to do with religion. You cut your toe mails on a public bus? I've seen people do that. I was at the Y where some sob shaved his testacles and rear end in the sink and just left it there and when he was told he was a filthy pig he claimed people were ridiculing his religious customs.

Been there done that. I don't feel like being polite today.

When I have to wash my hands and find your damn hair and toe nails or dirt in the sink I don't give a damn what your excuse is.

Please don't tell me people are cleaning up after themselves when they do this. Spare me the liberal guilt.

I've seen these supposedly religious people cleanse themselves and leave the mess behind. I am sick and tired of people demanding tolerance and accommodation while they don't show it themselves.

Enough. There is a limit to public places and what they can  provide. No religion has a right to expect anything in a public wash-room other than a place to pee and wash their hands unless its specifically to accommodate a disabled person or has a diaper station for babies.

Enough. If you can't assimilate to a point where you can' find a way to handle your prayer rituals privately like the rest of us have had to do well no don't wash your feet in a sink we al have to use, learn to find alternative methods to pray damn it.

Edited by Rue

On 3/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, ?Impact said:

The suspect in the recent bomb threat at Concordia University in Montreal that caused it to shutdown for most of March 1st is out on bail. Hisham Saadi, 47, is facing charges of inciting terrorism fears, transmitting death threats, and mischief. We know that he is from Lebanon, but we do not know his religion if any.  He is not scheduled to reappear until April so it will be some time until we learn any more. What seemed to provoke him to create his anti-Muslim threat was students using the sink in the public (university) washroom to wash their feet prior to prayer. This is a common ritual that Muslims practice, and also serves a practical purpose as they want to keep their prayer mats clean.

There is no excuse for the threatening letter an subsequent turmoil it caused and if found guilty then Mr. Saadi deserves appropriate sentencing. That being said, it still raises the question about accommodating religious practices in public institutions like universities and the impact on other patrons. Should prayer be treated like any other student extracurricular activity, and in this case one that may need special facilities. Generally universities allow clubs and groups to operate subject to certain rules, like being open to the larger student body. I a few cases there is discrimination, and certainly controversy surrounding that discrimination (e.g. hours a gym is only open to female students). Some clubs only require a room of appropriate size to meet, and other require special facilities. Generally athletic oriented activities have change rooms and showers, some technical clubs might require a lab or at least place to keep their rockets, etc. I believe other faith groups, and certainly political groups operate in most universities. If given enough demand, should universities (generally operated through a student union) accommodate Muslim students for prayers, perhaps by having facilities like the fountains in/outside some mosques to allow them to perform their cleansing ritual.

Christmas festivities have just about been wiped out in all schools and university's in Canada. Yet these same learning institutions will go out of their way to allow muslims to be able to wash their feet in public washrooms. I would certainly not want to use that sink if I saw someone washing their feet in it. Would you? It's not sanitary to begin with. Muslims should be told to keep their religious practices at home. Their religious practices will not be tolerated here in schools. If Canadians are suppose to give up some things than muslims can do it also. Sounds fair and works for me. It would be the multicultural way. If one religious practice can be removed then all she be removed period.  But this is the new Canada that we are living in today. It's all about the rest of the world and their religions and cultures, and to hell with Canadian Christian religion and culture.

So just how long are host Canadians going to put up with this nonsense and start standing up for Canada and it's values and way of life? This has nothing to do with racism, the left wing liberals favorite word, but more to do with trying to preserve our ways of how things will be done and have been done for in Canada for centuries. Aw the joys of multiculturalism. Christians no, Islam yes. Does no one yet see what a farce multiculturalism really is, and what it is doing to Canada, and our ways of doing things? Wake up.  

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

Hisham Saadi: A hero for the Muslim community to look-up to.

Personally, I am trying to find a true conservative Canadian hero to look up too. So far I have found none. Sad indeed. 

On 3/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, taxme said:

Personally, I am trying to find a true conservative Canadian hero to look up too. So far I have found none. Sad indeed. 

Perhaps your definition of 'conservative' is a tad different from that of most conservatives...

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Perhaps your definition of 'conservative' is a tad different from that of most conservatives...

My definition of a true conservative politician is one that believes in more freedom, less government, less taxes. I have never heard one conservative politician ever say anything that comes close to that. Just about all politicians in Canada appear to be believe that there should be more government, more taxes, and less freedom. 

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

What freedoms is the Government of Canada withholding from you?

Not so much for me but for many others who have been charged for their supposed preaching of promoting hatred towards others. You need to look into patriots like Arthur Topham, Paul Fromm, and now deceased Doug Collins, to name but a few, and their trials and tribulations that they had to go thru for daring to speak political incorrectness and who were hounded by the government and special interest groups for their different opinions and points of views that certain special interest groups did not want or be allowed to be heard. No one can dare to write or speak political incorrectness in some public square anymore before they are arrested and charged on some trumped up charge to shut them down. In Canada there is no 1st Amendment. The only 1st amendment that we have in Canada is the one that says that all must speak political correctness or else. That right will be protected. 

On 3/28/2017 at 2:32 AM, taxme said:

Not so much for me but for many others who have been charged for their supposed preaching of promoting hatred towards others. You need to look into patriots like Arthur Topham, Paul Fromm, and now deceased Doug Collins, to name but a few,

What if one considers these "patriots" to be ignorant, emotionally unstable scum?

Edited by Argus

2 hours ago, Argus said:

What if one considers these "patriots" to be ignorant, emotionally unstable scum?

I never found that to be. I found that they were right on at most times. They all sounded pretty normal to me, and made a heck of a lot more sense in what they were talking about than most of our politicians and the media put together ever could. A patriots only problem was that they dared to challenge zionist political correctness, and that is never good for anyone especially a true patriot.

But I must admit though that I have found on many occasions that liberals would fit the description of being ignorant,emotional,unstable intolerant bigots.

But hey. That's just me more than likely telling it like it is.  :D

On 4/4/2017 at 5:04 PM, taxme said:

I never found that to be. I found that they were right on at most times. They all sounded pretty normal to me, and made a heck of a lot more sense in what they were talking about than most of our politicians and the media put together ever could. A patriots only problem was that they dared to challenge zionist political correctness, and that is never good for anyone especially a true patriot.

But I must admit though that I have found on many occasions that liberals would fit the description of being ignorant,emotional,unstable intolerant bigots.

But hey. That's just me more than likely telling it like it is.  :D

Yeah well when you're an ideological hack you tend to think along those terms. But for the most those people exist only in your head, just like the caricature of conservatives being uneducated, frightened, rural pig farmers. In the real world the differences between people are smaller and less important. Most of my friends hold both conservative and liberal views.

The left/right political spectrum is silly, and people waste way too much time thinking about it.