Casey Affleck and his Academy Award

Boges

Most of the headlines from last night are about how Moonlight won the Best Picture Award after La La Land was initially announced winners. But another controversy that went somewhat under the radar revolves is around the movie I thought should have won Best Picture. 

http://www.avclub.com/article/brie-larson-refused-clap-casey-affleck-oscars-251130

Whether or not you were surprised by Casey Affleck’s Best Actor win last night, there’s no denying that there was a mixed reaction to his victory for Manchester By The Sea. Not long after his nomination was announced, Constance Wu criticized the Academy for showing such recognition to someone who had to settle out of court with two women who alleged he’d sexually harassed them during the making of I’m Still Here, especially in light of how resurfaced rape accusations against Nate Parker rendered The Birth Of A Nation DOA. And there wasn’t as much effusing in the crowd as you’d expect after Brie Larson read Affleck’s name while presenting the Best Actor award. Larson herself refused to applaud after announcing Affleck’s win, and looked downright downtrodden over the whole thing.

Not convicted, but settled out of court. Now IMHO his performance in Manchester by the Sea was stellar. I don't often cry, but I weeped when he and his ex wife (Michelle Williams, also a nominee) had a scene together after it was revealed the tragedy that had been dogging Affleck's character actually was. It was heart wrenching. But I loved this move. 

So now SJWs have decided he's not worthy of accolades because he settled a sexual assault case several years ago. 

The Pianist was also an amazing movie and deserving of the awards it received regardless of the personal problems of Film maker Roman Polanski. 

I'm really uncomfortable how people on the internet want people's lives forever ruined for even the hint of improper behaviour. I don't have an opinion on Affleck Pro or Con, I just loved that movie, does that mean I support Sexual Assault? Surely not . . . right :huh:

Of course no, it doesn't mean you support sexual assault.  I like some of Michael Jackson's songs and his moves, and that doesn't mean I'm in favor of pedophilia, either.

But getting back to the Oscars, I'm not complaining that there seems to be a lot of people of color last night who've won awards......however, it makes me think back about the controversy to last year's Oscars, accused of being racist, since there were very few colored people - particularly black.  I can't help but wonder if last night's Oscars was meant to atone for last year's?   

Mind you, I haven't seen any of those nominated movies.  I'm just musing.

Edited by betsy

12 hours ago, Boges said:

Most of the headlines from last night are about how Moonlight won the Best Picture Award after La La Land was initially announced winners...

A set-up: I reckon that this was a PR frame. Classic Trump.

Everyone (buzz) is now talking about Moonlight/La-La-Land.

Watch: America's Sweethearts. 

Greg: Please fix the software for this forum.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.

I had several links, now lost. 

Edited by August1991
F'ed Up web site.

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

A set-up: I reckon that this was a PR frame.

Sooo... Price Waterhouse Cooper agreed to have their reputation dirtied significantly, for a one-time PR stunt ?

This is somewhat akin to thinking that the New World Order agreed to have their power, and symbols of strength destroyed in order to start a war in Afghanistan after 9/11.  

17 hours ago, Boges said:

The Pianist was also an amazing movie and deserving of the awards it received regardless of the personal problems of Film maker Roman Polanski. 

I'm really uncomfortable how people on the internet want people's lives forever ruined for even the hint of improper behaviour. I don't have an opinion on Affleck Pro or Con, I just loved that movie, does that mean I support Sexual Assault?

I don't have an opinion on Casey Affleck either, but Brie Larson clearly does.  Perhaps award shows should stop putting her in the position of handing him trophies.  I doubt that many noticed her not applauding, or knew the backstory.  Personally, I have a hard time seeing someone succeed if I believe they're an awful person.

I do agree that internet witch hunts and social media hounds have gotten out of hand. Here's a well known example from a year ago. This girl is so disgusting and obnoxious that it's rage-inducing to watch how she treats this poor Uber driver.  It's impossible to watch this video and not think "she can't get away with acting like that. She needs to be taught a lesson."  One might suspect that she acts like this because she's spoiled and entitled and gotten away with it all her life. One might want to see her get the justice that "Affluenza Teen" Ethan Couch somehow avoided.  You watch that, and you feel angry and want to hit back at her in some way for being such a scumbag, and you leave a terrible review of her on a doctor-rating website and feel a small bit of satisfaction at striking a teeny-tiny blow for justice. She became famous overnight, she lost her job-- she was a doctor-- and her family was targeted with threats and harassment.  It seems like a little much... but I have a hard time feeling bad for her, because the person in that video is clearly not a good person. They say the internet never forgets... but it does move on.

-k

14 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Not sure what a person's private legal troubles have to do with whether their acting performances or film directing skills are good are not.  Bill Cosby is still a funny comedian despite being a terrible person.

Maybe, but I don't think I could watch one him again without remembering what kind of person he is.  I can listen to "Stranglehold" without thinking about what a total nutjob Ted Nugent is...  but acting or comedy, where I'm supposed to feel some kind of rapport or empathy with the performer, I just couldn't watch Bill Cosby's smug, Jello-filled pie-hole and detach it from what he's done. Maybe I could watch a Fat Albert cartoon without wanting to puke, but I don't think I could watch Dr Huxtable again, ever.

-k

On 2/27/2017 at 1:28 PM, Boges said:

There's probably no whiter movie than La La Land. So not Completely. 

Fences, Hidden Figures and Moonlight were apparently very good movies.

Not many people got to see Fences and Moonlight though. 

Saw them all.  Moonlight was pretty good, but overall this was a weak field.  Hidden Figures?  Seriously?  And the massively overrated Meryl Streep nominated again, for hamming her way through yet another money losing flick, again.  The best movie was Arrival IMO.  It was a bit cerebral for Hollywood though.  And baffling that Amy Adams was not even nominated for a role she should have won in Arrival.  She was also outstanding in Nocturnal Animals.  Michael Shannon should have won for his role in that movie.  He is simply a great actor.

I hate Polanski not because he is makes movies(increasingly poor movies, at that).  I hate him because he is a convicted serial child rapist.  I hate him because he got away with it. I hate him because he has no remorse for what he did and probably still does.  I wish he could suffer just a small part of what his victims suffered.  I have no need or wish to forgive him because he has talent or skill at something in life.  Hitler is not a nice man because he liked dogs, now is he?

9 hours ago, kimmy said:

Maybe, but I don't think I could watch one him again without remembering what kind of person he is.  I can listen to "Stranglehold" without thinking about what a total nutjob Ted Nugent is...  but acting or comedy, where I'm supposed to feel some kind of rapport or empathy with the performer, I just couldn't watch Bill Cosby's smug, Jello-filled pie-hole and detach it from what he's done. Maybe I could watch a Fat Albert cartoon without wanting to puke, but I don't think I could watch Dr Huxtable again, ever.

-k

Yeah it's hard watching the Cosby Show now.  He seems so fake knowing what he's done.

On 2/28/2017 at 6:42 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Sooo... Price Waterhouse Cooper agreed to have their reputation dirtied significantly, for a one-time PR stunt ?

This is somewhat akin to thinking that the New World Order agreed to have their power, and symbols of strength destroyed in order to start a war in Afghanistan after 9/11.  

Do you think any client of PriceWaterhouseCooper decides on the basis of the Academy Awards? (True, maybe PwC will now want nothing to with Hollywood.)

It's all PR: Everyone yesterday - even LIV (low information voters) - were talking about "Moonlight" - and "La-La-Land".

Classic Trump.

=====

In America's Sweethearts, I always liked the scene where Billy Crystal tells the security guys to release the video.

There is SO MUCH NOISE: where is the signal? 

Edited by August1991

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

Do you think any client of PriceWaterhouseCooper decides on the basis of the Academy Awards? (True, maybe PwC will now want nothing to with Hollywood.)

Your question doesn't make sense.  Do I think any client decides on the "basis" of the Academy Awards ?  What does that mean ?  No client can tell their contractor to compromise their brand or behave unethically.  And the Academy Awards don't mean enough to PwC to do that.

"It's all PR" is the waving of arms of somebody who doesn't understand how commerce works.

Simply withdraw your assertion.