The First 5

On 1/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, betsy said:

Speculate which first 5 nations' leaders will be invited to the White House?   Not in any particular ranking:

1.  Russia.  Just because of all the hoopla about it, and to establish a friendly relationship with the old nemesis.

2.  Israel  

3.  UK

4.  Egypt

5.  Mexico

#1.  UK

#2.  Mexico

#2.  Israel

President Donald Trump invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to visit Washington in early February during a phone call in which they discussed the importance of strengthening the U.S.-Israeli relationship, the White House said on Sunday.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN15610L

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, betsy said:

Speculate which first 5 nations' leaders will be invited to the White House?   Not in any particular ranking:

1.  Russia.  Just because of all the hoopla about it, and to establish a friendly relationship with the old nemesis.

2.  Israel  

3.  UK

4.  Egypt

5.  Mexico

#1.  UK - Theresa May

#2.  Canada - Justin Trudeau

#3.  Israel - Netanyahu

Japan's being "romanced" by Trump!

Abe is expected to unveil an economic proposal to invest $150 billion in U.S. infrastructure projects, according to the Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shibun, which reported on details of the draft proposal released earlier this month. The proposal, which includes plans for high-speed railway systems in Texas and California, could create 700,000 jobs in the U.S.

Following meetings in Washington that will likely focus on defense and economic cooperation, Abe and his wife, Akie Abe, will fly to Trump's "Winter White House," the Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, for weekend golfing. Abe gifted Trump a high-end golf driver when the pair met at Trump Tower in New York last November.

Japan, one of the closest U.S. allies, has already become a focal point for the new administration.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/japanese-prime-minister-meet-trump-white-house-mar/story?id=45348245

Troubling reference about Trudeau from the Washington Post - a few days before their meeting.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who is emerging as a leader of the liberal global resistance to President Trump, plans to visit Washington Monday for his first face-to-face meeting with the newly-inaugurated U.S. leader.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/09/canadian-prime-minister-trudeau-to-meet-with-trump-at-the-white-house-monday/?outputType=accessibility&nid=menu_nav_accessibilityforscreenreader

Trudeau isn't seen as a "friendly."

Edited by betsy

Haven't visited these forums in quite awhile, so hello everyone.  I was reading this in the news today, however, and thought I'd like to discuss the above. 

Our esteemed Prime Minister (who I grudgingly voted for last election) is set to meet Trump at the White House on Monday.  I'm worried. 

As far as I'm concerned, Trump is a dangerous clown.  I'm sure you fine folks have discussed this at length, however, so let's not get into that.  What I'm really concerned with is how Trudeau might engage with him.  Simply put, I don't think it would serve any purpose to antagonize the American administration like Trudeau Sr did while he was Prime Minister.  Trump may be colossally unpopular in Canada, and Trudeau might be able to score political points by publicly standing up to and contrasting him, that's not in the best interest of the country.  

This isn't a suggestion that Trudeau should roll on his back and be bullied, especially on social issues.  It's just a hope that he shows some judgment and realizes that clever jabs and irreverence aren't going to be helpful for the average Canadian.  Don't make this an ego thing.  Trudeau has a big ego, but Trump's is beyond reason.  Operate within those parameters and be tactful please, for all of us.  

Why do I get this feeling that the meeting with Trudeau was just something that's scheduled, to "get it done over with?"   It just got squeezed in between meetings with Japan and Israel.  Israel's been invited weeks ago.  The meeting with Japan includes a weekend golfing with Trump. 

The contrast between Trudeau's grand meeting with Obama - and with Trump, the invitation got printed at the last minute.

Doesn't bode well for Trudeau.

Edited by betsy

It could be a great meeting for Trudeau.  The guy is charming and he's popular in the US.  It serves no purpose for either leader to get into a spat but Trudeau has to realize that he's the junior partner in the relationship and that he's dealing with an inherently unreasonable man.  If he can put his own ego and image aside and at least humor Trump for the purpose of mutually beneficial bi-lateral relations, we'll all be better off.  

Unfortunately, I don't know if that's even in his DNA.  We'll see.  

The worst and last thing we need right now is a for our Prime Minister to verbally spar with a thin-skinned and vindictive man who leads the most powerful country in the world and that happens to be our overwhelmingly largest trading partner.  

On 1/8/2017 at 9:04 AM, BubberMiley said:

No, your point that Trump is petty and vindictive is absolutely correct. He has expressed no ideology, so you have projected your own ideology on to him, but his only ideology and his only interest in the presidency is getting revenge on his "enemies."

This is simply not true. Trump's main interest is clearly in being idolized by millions of credulous people.

Trudeau needs Trump far more than Trump needs Trudeau.    Trudeau has already criticized Trump in very public ways. 

I hope President Trump spells out the new way of doing things on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism.   If Trudeau doesn't like it, he can walk away and take his chances on NAFTA, border security, and other issues.  

24 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trudeau needs Trump far more than Trump needs Trudeau.    Trudeau has already criticized Trump in very public ways. 

I hope President Trump spells out the new way of doing things on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism.   If Trudeau doesn't like it, he can walk away and take his chances on NAFTA, border security, and other issues.  

The key here is that a thawing of relations would be good for both countries. After 16 years of relative unfriendliness between the various administrations, we could do with more cooperation and bi-lateral respect.  Trudeau (and Canada) of course need the US on their side more than the other way around, but that's a really pointless and unproductive way of looking at things.  

Canada and the USA are each the other's most important (and profitable) trading partner.  There's every reason for them to deepen and consolidate that relationship and zero reason to drag in the dirt.  

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

It could be a great meeting for Trudeau.  The guy is charming and he's popular in the US.  It serves no purpose for either leader to get into a spat but Trudeau has to realize that he's the junior partner in the relationship and that he's dealing with an inherently unreasonable man.  If he can put his own ego and image aside and at least humor Trump for the purpose of mutually beneficial bi-lateral relations, we'll all be better off.  

Unfortunately, I don't know if that's even in his DNA.  We'll see.  

The worst and last thing we need right now is a for our Prime Minister to verbally spar with a thin-skinned and vindictive man who leads the most powerful country in the world and that happens to be our overwhelmingly largest trading partner.  

The problem is, our Justin had taken potshots at Trump during the Republican primary race, and has taken on to tweeting what can be seen as irritants to Trump.  Our Justin lacks diplomacy, and seems to be having problems with self-discipline.

The treatment he's getting now is a far cry from treatments previous Prime Ministers had gotten from previous US Presidents.  On the eve of their meeting, Washington Post published an article, describing him as .....

.......emerging as a leader of the liberal global resistance to President Trump,"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/09/canadian-prime-minister-trudeau-to-meet-with-trump-at-the-white-house-monday/?outputType=accessibility&nid=menu_nav_accessibilityforscreenreader

That's the image he's been projecting.  Does not bode well.

21 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

The key here is that a thawing of relations would be good for both countries. After 16 years of relative unfriendliness between the various administrations, we could do with more cooperation and bi-lateral respect.  Trudeau (and Canada) of course need the US on their side more than the other way around, but that's a really pointless and unproductive way of looking at things.  

Canada and the USA are each the other's most important (and profitable) trading partner.  There's every reason for them to deepen and consolidate that relationship and zero reason to drag in the dirt.  

Obama and Trudeau?  Unfriendly?    Boy.....that was the greatest "bromance" that ever was.:D

Trudeau should avoid trigger words like "Obama,"  "Pink Pussy hats," "Canada's success with immigration," "open invitation to all fleeing persecutions and wars to come to Canada."

It's very possible that Trudeau will impulsively drop a nuclear on our economy.  He didn't handle a simple issue well in Quebec (answering an English question in French)....so the likelihood that he'll get arrogant too with Trump, is high.

Edited by betsy

22 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

No, it is the very meaning of "leverage" in any negotiation.   "Co-operation" with Canada so far has meant that Canada has access to the largest economy in the world, American capital investment, American defense and federal agency expenditures, etc., while Canada contributes markedly less to the relationship.   For instance, there are no Canadian owned car/truck assembly plants in the United States.  So what does Canada bring to the table besides raw materials?

This has changed as China has is now the USA's #1 trading partner and Mexico closes the gap with Canada.   It is less about dirt and more about balance for U.S. trade interests that are not so dependent on one nation.    Canada should have diversified exports long ago.   Also, Canada has protectionist trade barriers that Trump is right to question (e.g. dairy).

Canada may think that its relationship with the United States is special, but it is not the only nation that has such a preferred foreign policy status.   The United Kingdom is the USA's closest ally, not Canada.   Israel has a unique relationship with the U.S. as well.   Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Korea, Japan, etc. each have their own versions of being a favoured nation.  

51 minutes ago, betsy said:

The problem is, our Justin had taken potshots at Trump during the Republican primary race, and has taken on to tweeting what can be seen as irritants to Trump.  Our Justin lacks diplomacy, and seems to be having problems with self-discipline.

Do you not see the hilarity/irony of trying to take your potshots at JT for tweeter comments when we all have seen the myriad gaffes from Trump? I'll let you throw a few ha ha's in behind that.

33 minutes ago, Omni said:

Do you not see the hilarity/irony of trying to take your potshots at JT for tweeter comments when we all have seen the myriad gaffes from Trump? I'll let you throw a few ha ha's in behind that.

I'm not talking about Trump's gaffes.  His gaffes has no bearing on Canada/Trudeau....

.......however, Trudeau's potshot tweets at Trump could affect Canada.  That's the difference.

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

I'm not talking about Trump's gaffes.  His gaffes has no bearing on Canada/Trudeau....

.......however, Trudeau's potshot tweets at Trump could affect Canada.  That's the difference.

If Trudeau stands up to Trump it will only help him politically, because Canadians don't like weak leaders who cave to loonie fascist bullies.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadians-want-trudeau-to-stand-up-to-trump-even-if-it-leads-to-trade-war-poll/article33948451/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

7 hours ago, betsy said:

I certainly don't envy Trudeau having to go deal with Trump now that the federal courts have continued to shut down his attempt at a racist ban. I'm interested to see how childish his tantrum over that will be.