The First 5

Me too, with Trudeau.  

Just when you thought he's finally getting it........he does or says something undiplomatic that makes your jaw drop. :lol:

Yep, JT the kid is way out of his league, and time will make him an unpleasant smell even among enough liberals to send him packing next election.  With the way things are going in Ontario, it may be a landslide.  

Edited by sharkman

15 hours ago, sharkman said:

Yep, JT the kid is way out of his league, and time will make him an unpleasant smell even among enough liberals to send him packing next election.  With the way things are going in Ontario, it may be a landslide.  

Imagine the 1.5 trillion deficit by 2050!

How can we possibly sustain what we have now with that load? 

Edited by betsy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, betsy said:

Speculate which first 5 nations' leaders will be invited to the White House?   Not in any particular ranking:

1.  Russia.  Just because of all the hoopla about it, and to establish a friendly relationship with the old nemesis.

2.  Israel  

3.  UK

4.  Egypt

5.  Mexico

UK!

Theresa May (UK) is the first one to meet with Trump in Washington!

Theresa May to meet Donald Trump on Friday - White House

Mrs May will be the first foreign leader to meet the new president after his inauguration.

A post-Brexit free trade deal is thought likely to be high on her agenda as she travels to the US for talks.

Confirmation of the meeting came as hundreds of thousands of people around the world joined women's marches to protest Mr Trump's presidency.

Mr Trump's press secretary Sean Spicer gave details of Mrs May's visit in his first briefing to journalists at the White House on Saturday.

Earlier, while visiting the CIA's headquarters, President Trump said the PM "is coming over to our country very shortly".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38707524

28 minutes ago, betsy said:

UK!

Theresa May (UK) is the first one to meet with Trump in Washington!

Excellent....much better than Justin Trudeau !

Sorry Canada, but the U.K. is America's closest military and political ally around the world.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Since Trump has already indicated "me first", which is another way of saying:  "Any deal I make is going to screw you", ....

... then why should Canada bother to respond at all?  

If he decides to impose his 35 percent tarriffs, his own States and businesses will pretty soon change his mind, themselves.

5 minutes ago, Icebound said:

Since Trump has already indicated "me first", which is another way of saying:  "Any deal I make is going to screw you", ....

If he decides to impose his 35 percent tarriffs, his own States and businesses will pretty soon change his mind, themselves.

Canada already telegraphed weakness and no leverage even before Trump was elected.   Canada has long put too many eggs in one economic basket and now finds it may have to scramble to diversify exports and solicit even more foreign capital from other sources.

Canada wanted to continue things just as they were....no changes desired...while the world has moved on.

Our government has been working hard to increase trade opportunities with partners other than the US. This has been underway since before the protectionists won the US election, and has in fact been underway since long before Mr Trudeau became Prime Minister.

Perhaps rising US protectionism will help Canada find more trading partners around the world.

-k

6 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Our government has been working hard to increase trade opportunities with partners other than the US. This has been underway since before the protectionists won the US election, and has in fact been underway since long before Mr Trudeau became Prime Minister.

Perhaps rising US protectionism will help Canada find more trading partners around the world.

Ya think ?   Should happen regardless of what happens in the U.S.   

President Obama was maybe the first clue...BUY AMERICAN !

7 hours ago, kimmy said:

-k

The question is:  are we going to have a fair deal?

Is it a real trade.....or......

Are we subsidizing these Canadian companies trading with other countries so they can "compete?"

Edited by betsy

9 hours ago, Icebound said:

Not necessarily. 

It means the deal they make will have to be in the best interest of Americans.  That's what every citizens want of their government!  That's what governments should do!

9 hours ago, Icebound said:

Trudeau reshuffled the Cabinet to customize it around Trump administration! They even threw Dion under the bus.  I say......that's a big response, no?

Now let's wait and see.....

...........when will Trudeau get invited to sit down with Trump.

Edited by betsy

Next one to sit down with Trump could be........Mexico.

IXMIQUILPAN, MEXICO (Reuters) - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump by phone on Saturday ahead of talks among their officials in Washington next week as the Mexico leader faces populist pressure from a frontrunner in the 2018 election.

In his call with Trump, Pena Nieto highlighted the importance of the bilateral relationship, and both leaders agreed to meet in the near future, his office said in a statement.

Next week, senior Mexican officials will hold meetings with Trump's top aides in Washington, to discuss bilateral relations such as security, trade and migration.

Meanwhile, Mexican presidential hopeful Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador announced plans to tour major U.S. cities in February, raising pressure on the government to assert itself with the Trump administration.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-invites-hungarian-prime-minister-to-meeting-in-dc/article/2608178

What are the chances that Trump will decide to have a "three-amigos" meeting soon?

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wow.....President Trump is sure getting a lot of international attention.   I wonder why that is ?    :D

The right-wing hopefuls in Europe even had a meeting!  They're buoyed by Trump!

After the US, far right says 2017 will be the year Europe wakes up

The Koblenz meeting was intended to strengthen connections between Europe’s populist parties – including Le Pen’s Front National, the AfD, Italy’s Northern League, and the Freedom Party (PVV) in the Netherlands.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/21/koblenz-far-right-european-political-leaders-meeting-brexit-donald-trump

This is what political correctness had sown.  Interesting times.....

Edited by betsy

5 hours ago, betsy said:

Is it a real trade.....or......

Are we subsidizing these Canadian companies trading with other countries so they can "compete?"

That's a very good question.  I've been wondering for a long time what's in these trade agreements for the average person.

"A broader export market for Canadian products!"  ...but aren't the vast majority of Canadian exports just commodities that other countries desperately need anyway?  It's not like China is going to stop buying our oil if we don't get a trade deal in place.

"Jobs jobs jobs!"  ...but don't these agreements actually just make it easier for large companies to move jobs away?

"Access to international products for Canadian consumers!"  ...not actually. I can get on the internet and buy things straight from China, and we don't even have a trade partnership with China. They'll ship it right to my door for free. If our government actually cared about giving people like us access to international shopping, they would raise the "de minimis" threshold from the chintzy $20 level, the lowest in the world, up to something more in line with other countries-- like $200.

I think the real driver for these agreements is actually big business. Big business wants more ways to offshore jobs or import labor or shift the "value added" portion of their business to places where "adding value" can be done by exploiting cheap labor.  Big business wants more international cooperation to protect their patents and copyrights. Big business wants more freedom to structure their businesses internationally to exploit the lowest common denominator when it comes to labor laws and tax laws and financial regulation and environmental regulation... ultimately they'd like to accelerate the "race to the bottom" because that boosts their profits.  When some of the contents of the TPP started leaking out last summer,  we found out that not much of it is actually about "trade" per se and much of it is actually about protecting business interests.  I understand why big business wants those things, but I don't understand why my government should be pushing for those things.

The fact that TPP was negotiated in secret with just governments and multinational corporations at the table should be a huge red flag.   And while I disagree with just about everything Trump and his Cabinet stand for, pulling America out of TPP is one bright side to all this.

-k

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

That's a very good question.  I've been wondering for a long time what's in these trade agreements for the average person.

"A broader export market for Canadian products!"  ...but aren't the vast majority of Canadian exports just commodities that other countries desperately need anyway?  It's not like China is going to stop buying our oil if we don't get a trade deal in place.

"Jobs jobs jobs!"  ...but don't these agreements actually just make it easier for large companies to move jobs away?

"Access to international products for Canadian consumers!"  ...not actually. I can get on the internet and buy things straight from China, and we don't even have a trade partnership with China. They'll ship it right to my door for free. If our government actually cared about giving people like us access to international shopping, they would raise the "de minimis" threshold from the chintzy $20 level, the lowest in the world, up to something more in line with other countries-- like $200.

I think the real driver for these agreements is actually big business. Big business wants more ways to offshore jobs or import labor or shift the "value added" portion of their business to places where "adding value" can be done by exploiting cheap labor.  Big business wants more international cooperation to protect their patents and copyrights. Big business wants more freedom to structure their businesses internationally to exploit the lowest common denominator when it comes to labor laws and tax laws and financial regulation and environmental regulation... ultimately they'd like to accelerate the "race to the bottom" because that boosts their profits.  When some of the contents of the TPP started leaking out last summer,  we found out that not much of it is actually about "trade" per se and much of it is actually about protecting business interests.  I understand why big business wants those things, but I don't understand why my government should be pushing for those things.

The fact that TPP was negotiated in secret with just governments and multinational corporations at the table should be a huge red flag.   And while I disagree with just about everything Trump and his Cabinet stand for, pulling America out of TPP is one bright side to all this.

-k

If Trump works wonders for the US economy (bringing back and creating  jobs, jobs, jobs).........maybe we'll learn from it.

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

If Trump works wonders for the US economy (bringing back and creating  jobs, jobs, jobs).........maybe we'll learn from it.

Current jobless rate in the States is 4.7%, which seems pretty damn fine to me.   In Canada, it's somewhere between 6 and 7% I believe.   Some Americans have put the jobless rate and other economic indicators as of the 20th in their timelines, so when FB does it's 'Memories' reminder, they can see how Trump is doing.   

Edited by dialamah

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Current jobless rate in the States is 4.7%, which seems pretty damn fine to me. 

Fine it may be by you, but obviously not fine to a lot of Americans!  Why do you think they want to hear him talk about jobs, jobs, jobs?

Btw, have you seen those skeleton empty buildings he's been talking abut?  They show them in some movies - yes, they exist.

Who's paying for so many of the jobs in Canada?  Taxpayers!  We're subsidizing corporation like Bombardier, and some auto industry just so they'll stay here in Canada, and some Canadians won't lose their jobs! 

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

Fine it may be by you, but obviously not fine to a lot of Americans!  Why do you think they want to hear him talk about jobs, jobs, jobs?

Because they're idiots and believe all the fake news there is to believe?

Btw, have you seen those skeleton empty buildings he's been talking abut?  They show them in some movies - yes, they exist.

Who's paying for so many of the jobs in Canada?  Taxpayers!  We're subsidizing corporation like Bombardier, and some auto industry just so they'll stay here in Canada, and some Canadians won't lose their jobs! 

I'm confused.   Are you saying that Canada should stop subsidizing corporations, resulting in our unemployment rate going up, and that would be better?   

Yes, there are empty buildings all over the world.   What is your point?

On 1/22/2017 at 6:52 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wow.....President Trump is sure getting a lot of international attention.   I wonder why that is ?    :D

The same reason as ANY big disaster.     

Everest earthquake, Malaysian air crashes, etc., etc. etc.   They all affect many people in negative ways.

Edited by Icebound

On 1/22/2017 at 6:39 AM, betsy said:

Not necessarily. 

It means the deal they make will have to be in the best interest of Americans.  That's what every citizens want of their government!  That's what governments should do!

It is not a "good" deal if it is in the best interest of one party at the expense of another.    That is called:  exploitation.   

Edited by Icebound

On 1/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, Icebound said:

It is not a "good" deal if it is in the best interest of one party at the expense of another.    That is called:  exploitation.   

No.  It means you better put reputable, experienced, excellent negotiators on the bargaining table!

Edited by betsy