Kevin O'Leary & Pierre-Karl Péladeau

On 1/18/2017 at 0:38 PM, Argus said:

I'm considering O'toole and Scheer. Raitt and Alexander are dead losses, as far as I'm concerned.

Raitt has let me down. O'leary maybe the one if max was his quebec lieutenant.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

How much time does O'Leary spend in Canada these days? Is he vulnerable on that front?

I honestly don't think it's going to matter. GIven his forceful personality and media savy persona, given the amount of attention he's going to get, and the likely focus of Canadians on the economy. If he's vulnerable during the leadership campaign it's his liberal social beliefs, his apparent lack of knowledge and respect for our military heritage, and on immigration. These issues would matter less to Canadians than they do to conservatives, but they DO matter to conservatives, and O'Leary has to get their approval first.

16 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Kellie Leitch doesn't even get mentioned? For shame. :lol:

Why should she get mentioned?  Her big policy is the hornets nest that turn a lot of people off.  She is perceived as her Schtick is the Canadian values thing (individual Canadians decide those not the government) over the economy.

she has taken the bait hook line and sinker...

how do I take someone seriously who fiddled while Rome burns?

Pierre-Karl Péladeau, a so-called, son-of business guy, tried his hand in Quebec politics. Disaster.

Kevin O'Leary, another Catholic business guy, tries his hand at - federal politics. Uh, disaster.

======

Péladeau tried and failed to identfy with Quebecers.

O'Leary will also fail to identify with Canadians -whether French or even English.

At the moment, I reckon that Justin Trudeau is unassailable for a second term. He is the identity of Canada.

Edited by August1991

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

At the moment, I reckon that Justin Trudeau is unassailable for a second term. He is the identity of Canada.

No, he is the identity of the Canada idealized by the national press and the hangers on in the media and academia. He knows nothing at all about the real Canada, or about real Canadians. He is more remote and detached from most of them and their everyday concerns than Obama ever was from ordinary Americans.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:10 PM, Argus said:

No, he is the identity of the Canada idealized by the national press and the hangers on in the media and academia. He knows nothing at all about the real Canada, or about real Canadians. He is more remote and detached from most of them and their everyday concerns than Obama ever was from ordinary Americans.

Argus,

Many, many Canadians (English/French) identify with Justin Trudeau.

I suggest you read Scott Adams' blog. Trudeau Snr wrote about this before Adams.

• 2 weeks later...

Could O'Leary have been more inappropriate with his little shoot 'em up video the same day as fumerals were being carried out im PQ after the Mosque shootimgs ? Maybe he should just stay in New York and try to cozy up to Trump a little more since they seem to be equally as insensitive?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oleary-gun-range-shooting-thursday-1.3963724

On 1/24/2017 at 2:49 AM, August1991 said:

Argus,

Many, many Canadians (English/French) identify with Justin Trudeau.

I suggest you read Scott Adams' blog. Trudeau Snr wrote about this before Adams.

That's a laugh. Maybe the elite but not everyday canadians. Canadians that have to work everyday just to keep up ,while trudeau lived a life of luxury,never worried about having a job,since it seems he could not keep a job for to long.

39 minutes ago, PIK said:

while trudeau lived a life of luxury,never worried about having a job,since it seems he could not keep a job for to long.

Funny how thats a bad thing for JT but not Trump, for some people.  Don't know what your feelings about Trump are, so not directed at you unless it applies. :)

Anyway, JT's trust fund was only $20,000 a year so while it certainly helped, it wasn't exactly luxury and he still had to work.  I happen to think teaching is a fine profession, although plenty of partisans like to discredit him for it by pretending he only taught drama and ignoring that he also taught math, French and humanities.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Funny how thats a bad thing for JT but not Trump, for some people.  Don't know what your feelings about Trump are, so not directed at you unless it applies. :)

Anyway, JT's trust fund was only $20,000 a year so while it certainly helped, it wasn't exactly luxury and he still had to work.  I happen to think teaching is a fine profession, although plenty of partisans like to discredit him for it by pretending he only taught drama and ignoring that he also taught math, French and humanities.

Who cares about trump. But how long did he teach? He also said in one interview he was a bouncer, but then on another one ,he said he worked 2 shifts as a bartender and quit because it was to tough.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Anyway, JT's trust fund was only $20,000 a year so while it certainly helped, it wasn't exactly luxury and he still had to work. 

He inherited $1.2 million from daddy, so I bet that helped a LOT. He was also pulling in nearly half a million a year in speaking fees, based largely on being daddy's boy, and I'm guessing that 'helped' a little, too.

Trudeau is not middle class and does not claim to be. He has never had to worry about money in his life and never will.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

True, but apparently Donald Trump in the U.S. is now the go-to benchmark for Canadian politicians.

It's a Canadian thing...it's how things are defined in Canada.

Living beside america has not been easy.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

He inherited $1.2 million from daddy, so I bet that helped a LOT. He was also pulling in nearly half a million a year in speaking fees, based largely on being daddy's boy, and I'm guessing that 'helped' a little, too.

Trudeau is not middle class and does not claim to be. He has never had to worry about money in his life and never will.

Maybe you are right, but according to him his father didn't believe in leaving scads of money to kids, so the inheritance was set up so that each brother got about $20,000 a year.   This meant he worked through University, which is where some of the jobs people like to make fun of came from.  High  speaking fees were only the last few years, not throughout his life.  Half million was his highest year, not the average.

I'm not saying he's had it rough or that most Canadians wouldn't give their right arm for a $20,000 a year cushion.   But it does seem the rumors of his wealth are exaggerated by his detractors.

Edited by dialamah

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Maybe you are right, but according to him his father didn't believe in leaving scads of money to kids, so the inheritance was set up so that each brother got about $20,000 a year.   This meant he worked through University, which is where some of the jobs people like to make fun of came from.  High  speaking fees were only the last few years, not throughout his life.  Half million was his highest year, not the average.

I'm not saying he's had it rough or that most Canadians wouldn't give their right arm for a $20,000 a year cushion.   But it does seem the rumors of his wealth are exaggerated by his detractors.

He's not Donald  Trump, but let's not even pretend he's ever had the problems normal people do, like, for example, university students having to pay their way through school with borrowed money and low paying jobs. If he worked while at university (and I don't know that to be the case)  you can be damned sure, given the influence of his family, that he'd have been found whatever kind of job he wanted.