Re: graphic videos

betsy

Personally I agree with betsy... I think that as a courtesy to others, it would be polite to mention that your video link contains potentially upsetting content.

While the concept of "trigger warnings" has been a subject of mockery of late, most news sources have been warning viewers of potentially disturbing content for a long time.  It turns out that watching people being shot, beheaded, beaten, mauled, maimed, mutilated, or murdered are actually quite upsetting to a lot of people, and I think all of us probably heard the "caution, this video may be disturbing to some of our viewers" warning from a news person before we ever got on the internet, let alone heard of "trigger warnings" or "snowflakes".

And of course, long-standing tradition holds that it's courteous to warn people that your link contains sexual content as well.

-k

2 hours ago, Boges said:

The video of the Russian Ambassador getting waxed isn't all that graphic. I think NSFW tags should always be used when showing something sexual though. 

Sex is normal human behaviour, murdering someone is not. 

One of the most disturbing videos I remember is when Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger, was killed on the Olympic bobsled track for the Vancouver games. In that case it was the ringing sound when his head struck the metal support column that I found caused a visceral reaction.

One video I avoided was the maniac in Montreal with the ice pick several years go. It is hard to judge how I would react since I never saw it, but I suspect I would have found it less disturbing because the victim was already dead, so it was mostly about mutilating a corpse. The reason I choose to avoid it was less to do with how it would effect me and more about respect for the victim and his family, not wanting to glorify that vile act. 

I would say perhaps that if the video has the potential to be disturbing to some then common curtsey would be to post a warning about its content and allow the viewer to decide. I agree with betsy on this one.

Edited by ?Impact

4 hours ago, Boges said:

The video of the Russian Ambassador getting waxed isn't all that graphic.

It may not be as graphic as getting beheaded....but the fact that it is an actual killing can bother some people. 

I'm used to watching violent movies, and yet for some reason I'm bothered by the expression on the Ambassador's face when he got shot.  I still think of it.  I think it might be because it is something real.

I thought it was the same youtube video that showed the Ambassador, but it didn't show the actual shooting.

Edited by betsy

I agree with Betsy.  In the past, this site didn't allow videos lime that with, or without, a warning. 

This poster is known for posting questionable content, so I would never open anything posted by this member.  

4 hours ago, Smallc said:

Well, I may very well have, but it doesn't mean that I agreed with them and everything they did.

Like I said, pretty sure I didn't kill anyone.

i did hit a coyote with my car once, and I actually shot a bear a few years back, but, no people.

Last year my wife ran over a porcupine. Let me tell you. Those quills will mess up a lot of parts.

I actually forgot that I hit a deer last year - still, I don't remember any people.  

The coyote did a surprising amount of damage.  The deer hit head on and caused every single airbag to deploy.  Let me tell you, new cars have a lot of airbags.

We are not having a discussion about geopolitics in this section of the board.   The support forum is for comments and questions regarding the forum. Period.

I think Betsy makes a fair point. I would encourage members to give a heads-up if they are posting links to violent material, simply as a courtesy. Try to be considerate to each other.  That's a suggestion, not a rule, but try to respect each other.

Depending on the circumstances, it's possible that the moderating staff may edit messages to include warnings, or delete links entirely if the content is really inappropriate.

-k

Why would hitting a deer cause airbags to go off...  that can cause you more damage than actually hitting the animal!   I hate frickin' front impact airbags....   they caused a lot of damage to my passenger once where we would have been fine without...

Edited by The_Squid

If you guys want to talk about roadkill, go to the Travel, Leisure, and Cuisine section and start a roadkill thread. And have the decency to include recipes and hopefully dashcam videos.

-k

37 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Why would hitting a deer cause airbags to go off...  that can cause you more damage than actually hitting the animal!   I hate frickin' front impact airbags....   they caused a lot of damage to my passenger once where we would have been fine without...

It's head left a dent where it hit the front bumper cover - I'm thinking it hit a crash sensor.  All 7 airbags went off.  I looked down to adjust my seatbelt, looked up, and didn't even have time to touch a brake.

Lucky it wasn't a wood bison.

31 minutes ago, kimmy said:

If you guys want to talk about roadkill, go to the Travel, Leisure, and Cuisine section and start a roadkill thread. And have the decency to include recipes and hopefully dashcam videos.

-k

I'll get you the recipe, but I'm too lazy to start a thread.