Bans/suspensions - listed?

The_Squid

Should suspensions/bans be listed by the Mods?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The results are in... 

72% of forum members are in favour of listing bans/suspensions.

I think to avoid bloodshed, the Mods should keep the topic locked and no discussion allowed.  Just a simple list with the member's name and the number of days/weeks/months the suspension will last for.

Discuss.

On 1/4/2017 at 1:32 PM, The_Squid said:

Discuss.

There will be no public list of bans nor of suspensions. 

Mike made this clear several times in previous threads. That is enough. 

Some folks may be humiliated.  You are not tentitle to be privy of other member penalties. 

On 1/4/2017 at 2:03 PM, Charles Anthony said:

There will be no public list of bans nor of suspensions. 

Mike made this clear several times in previous threads. That is enough. 

Some folks may be humiliated.  You are not tentitle to be privy of other member penalties. 

How about bans, and for the reason they're banned?

Edited by betsy

Why don't you just do what other forums do? Have a poster's status reported as their group membership beneath their avatar. At least then when you reply to someone who is suspended, you'll at least see under their picture that they're suspended (or banned...RIP Jack Weber) and not expect a reply.

An active list is silly, but almost every forum shows a poster's status on their posts.

10 hours ago, betsy said:

When someone gets suspended in the middle of a heated discussion - participants tend to wonder if that poster had unofficially conceded, or ran away from the discussion.  It keeps everyone following that discussion, hanging.

I don't often agree with you but this is an exception. With one exception to the exception. People don't always stop posting on a thread because they are running away. Sometimes it just becomes obvious they are wasting their time.

Members under temporary suspension are free to put a notice in their profiles "I am not ignoring you.  I away on vacation / in the hospital until ......." or words to that effect on their Profile page. 

There is no need to impose public disclosure of anything. 

If a member is penalized with a temporary suspension, we want that member to return to the forum. The member is left with the liberty of keeping the reason for the absence a secret.  The suspended member controls the public disclosure. 

12 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Why don't you just do what other forums do?

I would not know.  I do not read any other Canadian online discussions.  Any recommendations? 

I like the idea of "Banned" being displayed on the member's profile and to the left of the post.   It used to work that way here. I assume this changed during the latest forum upgrade.

For example, if I go to the profile of the aforementioned Jack Weber (PBUH) it still lists him as belonging to "Members".   I can see that he's banned by looking at the moderator information, but that information isn't available to the general forum, and it used to be, and I would like to see it brought back.

As for a list of members whose posting privileges are suspended, I don't feel like it. It would be a headache to update it.

One suggestion is that people accept that members have a life outside the forum, and that sometimes if someone doesn't reply to your message right away it doesn't mean they're ignoring you, it just means they have something else to do.

-k

9 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Discuss ?    Okay....this forum is not a democracy.     May as well vote for free pizza.

Hello.  That's what I was gonna say on democracy.  Geez, so we can make up any topic with voting we want, and if we get a majority the mod Gods will bless us with the changes we're wanting?  Dream on.

3 hours ago, kimmy said:

As for a list of members whose posting privileges are suspended, I don't feel like it. It would be a headache to update it.

-k

It's as simple as creating a group with restricted permissions and moving the users to that group, naming it "Suspended."

9 hours ago, kimmy said:

I like the idea of "Banned" being displayed on the member's profile and to the left of the post.   It used to work that way here. I assume this changed during the latest forum upgrade.

For example, if I go to the profile of the aforementioned Jack Weber (PBUH) it still lists him as belonging to "Members".   I can see that he's banned by looking at the moderator information, but that information isn't available to the general forum, and it used to be, and I would like to see it brought back.

One suggestion is that people accept that members have a life outside the forum, and that sometimes if someone doesn't reply to your message right away it doesn't mean they're ignoring you, it just means they have something else to do.

-k

Why would it be a headache to update?  How many members are suspended on a daily basis that would make it onerous to write (for example):

The_Squid - 4 days

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but I think we should have a separate topic under which all deleted posts can be placed so that people can discuss what was wrong with them and why they were deleted. This would serve to let members better understand what kind of posts get deleted and why. Under the current system they're often not even notified. The posts simply get deleted, and if they don't notice they keep posting the same kind of thing until some moderator suspends them.

28 minutes ago, Argus said:

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but I think we should have a separate topic under which all deleted posts can be placed so that people can discuss what was wrong with them and why they were deleted. This would serve to let members better understand what kind of posts get deleted and why. Under the current system they're often not even notified. The posts simply get deleted, and if they don't notice they keep posting the same kind of thing until some moderator suspends them.

I like that idea if it's locked and the Mods simply give their explanation.  An ongoing thread full of debate is unnecessary and would cause a shitstorm.  

Edited by The_Squid