cybercoma

The look and feel are bad.  The chat screen/function is terrible.  Status updates got worse.  Blocking people from posting in status updates has gotten worse.

Quoting a section of a post has improved.  The alerts for new posts have improved.

Overall, I still prefer the previous version of the forum as the improvements don't outweigh the negatives.

ETA:  The image policy is completely confusing now.  Some large images have been posted that don't seem to have much to do with the topic...  Apparently, it's open season on images now.  I wish the Mods would make up their minds.  I thought they came up with a decent compromise not that long ago. 

Edited by The_Squid

39 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I still find it very annoying that I have to scroll down, down, down to the most recent post. I just don't like visiting anymore for that very reason. 

I have no idea why you might be having that problem now. I thought we figured it out earlier?

24 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yeah, so far that seems to be the biggest change for the worse. Most other things I find better. I don't use mobile however, and that seems to be what many are complaining about.

My mobile works much better. That part I really like but the status update sucks.

I am still stuck somewhere between Like it and Really like it

18 hours ago, The_Squid said:

ETA:  The image policy is completely confusing now.  Some large images have been posted that don't seem to have much to do with the topic...  Apparently, it's open season on images now.  I wish the Mods would make up their minds.  I thought they came up with a decent compromise not that long ago. 

Relax.  You are over-thinking things.  What you see as a "policy" is "mods are still trying to figure out the technical aspects of executing policy" in reality.  Be patient. 

If you feel constrained, send the mod staff a message and ask for help. 

14 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

nor should there be.   

How do you figure that?    

42 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

How do you figure that?    

If data was migrated to a new schema as part of the version upgrade, going back would require manual mappings and custom handlers. 

Previous backups would be missing new members/content since the upgrade.  

18 hours ago, cybercoma said:

I have no idea why you might be having that problem now. I thought we figured it out earlier?

If I'm signed in I'm good the first time. But if I go to any thread where I have read all the posts I am still presented at the top of the page. And if I'm not signed in forget it. I'm at the top of the page. Doesn't anyone else find it annoying or is it just me?  

15 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

If you've read all the posts, then there is no last read post. So I'm not sure where you want it to place you in the thread.

I would expect to be placed at the most recent post. That can't be hard for them to configure. It's how most apps work. It's not rocket science 

Mostly good but I don't use the mobile app much. One problem with my MacBook, if I hit quote and then decide not to use it, the only way I can get rid of the quote is close the browser and delete my history and cookies. Even re booting won't get rid of it unless I delete them. Never had to do that before and it doesn't seem to do it in Windows.

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

Mostly good but I don't use the mobile app much. One problem with my MacBook, if I hit quote and then decide not to use it, the only way I can get rid of the quote is close the browser and delete my history and cookies. Even re booting won't get rid of it unless I delete them. Never had to do that before and it doesn't seem to do it in Windows.

Press Command + Right Click on the quote window to delete it. Right click on a Macbook is a two-finger tap usually.

3 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I would expect to be placed at the most recent post. That can't be hard for them to configure. It's how most apps work. It's not rocket science 

Click the time link (or date if enough time has passed).  It'll take you to the last post on a thread.

There's not quite as many responses to this poll yet, but the trend seems to be that people are more comfortable with it.

In the first days following the forum upgrade, the majority of people hated or disliked the change (53%). The number of people who hate or dislike the forum upgrade is significantly less after two weeks (36%).

Now, that might be attributed to people who hated the forum not being here anymore or as often, which would also explain why there's fewer responses 48 hours after I put the poll up. However, some folks who were highly critical of the forum before have responded in this thread, so I don't think that fully explains it.

It seems generally that folks are getting used to the change, such that now the majority of people here at least like the upgrade but recognize that there are some annoying quirks.

Personally, I don't like the idea of turning a forum into a social media platform like Facebook or Twitter. The focus on user profiles, particularly through the "status updates" feature is obnoxious, imho, but at the same time easily ignorable.

I think I'll start a tips thread so we can share functionality and features that we've discovered. This might help folks continue to adjust to the changes.

Forgive me, I was asking more of a philosophical question rather than a technical question.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:52 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

If data was ---SNIP--- the upgrade.  

I am questioning why there should be no way back as opposed to why there is no way back.