Canadian Immigration

18 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

True patriot Canadian demands to see a "white doctor" who speaks perfect English and doesn't have brown teeth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/white-doctor-video-mississauga-1.4168199

Amazing the influence Donald Trump has, even on people in other countries!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

So true...Donald Trump is more popular than Jesus, to coin a John Lennon reference.

"White people" in Canada are empowered by Trump, not Trudeau.

No Lennon was popular, Trump is laughable. There are different ways to get noticed.

5 hours ago, Argus said:

What makes you think this has anything to do with Trump?

Good question. The article implies that Trump is at fault-

Cheryl Teelucksingh, a sociology professor at Ryerson University, sees the incident as an example of the kind of "everyday racism" that is "beginning to resurface" in Canada. She said some people are pointing to the election of U.S. President Donald Trump making people feel more comfortable saying things they normally wouldn't.

21 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Good question. The article implies that Trump is at fault-

Cheryl Teelucksingh, a sociology professor at Ryerson University, sees the incident as an example of the kind of "everyday racism" that is "beginning to resurface" in Canada. She said some people are pointing to the election of U.S. President Donald Trump making people feel more comfortable saying things they normally wouldn't.

Or maybe she just got tired of dealing with barely competent foreign doctors with imperfect English who treated her like a silly woman.

• Like 1

I don't condone her behaviour or what sh said, but I'd cut her some slack as she was likely stressed out from waiting 5.5 hours in emerg. to be told by a 'brown doctor' he couldn't help her son.  She then went to a walk in clinic.   It is would not be racist to ask for someone who spoke understandable English, in fact it should be a requirement as it be life or death.

Secondary issue here to me is that of people taking pictures/videos then posting them without permission.  IMO that should be illegal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I found her rant for a "white" doctor to be refreshingly honest and likely the result of frustration as well.   She is not the first person to demand a doctor based on language, sex, or race...and it certainly was not because of Donald Trump.

The Doc I worked for had a very foreign sounding name.  When he was taking new patients, we got that question a lot - "Does he speak good English?"

I don't find her rant refreshing, although I understand her frustration.

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

The Doc I worked for had a very foreign sounding name.  When he was taking new patients, we got that question a lot - "Does he speak good English?"

I don't find her rant refreshing, although I understand her frustration.

She had the audacity to say what many people are only brazen enough to think to themselves, or discuss in private.

My experience with many immigrants (and citizens) alike finds that language is the biggest barrier, much more so than race or ethnicity. 

This women's demand is not uncommon for doctors, dentists, nurses, home care aids, therapists, etc.

The "funniest" part of the exchange was when she was told that a "white doctor" was only available after 4PM.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Three days in a row, CTV News will not stop talking about it. They keep interviewing the guy who took the video, whose name I can't remember but was unpronounceable. He got to be interviewed on TV for three days, along with other witnesses. Oh the outrage.

This woman should be given a little slack. She was really upset about her son's treatment, and sometimes that just makes people lose it.

As for brown teeth, I understand what that means. I work with a PhD who's from the Middle East and has that problem. Not a bad guy but definitely dumb, I have to watch his every move. Lack of dental hygiene would concern me too if he was my medical doctor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Any comments at taking videos and posting them without permission?

I'm not sure about the legalities behind it. I think the videos had people's faces blurred out, if I recall correctly, so at least they tried to protect her identity. But to go on and on about it is certainly not fair.

Forgiveness is not a virtue, neither in Islam nor among the left.

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Any comments at taking videos and posting them without permission?

Too complicated an issue for one size answer.  Issues like an expectation of privacy, public space, audio "wiretapping" laws, commercial or private use, etc.

The criminal code in Canada has likely not kept pace with such technology.

I am sure there is some basic video recording by the clinic operator in certain areas as a matter of security.

11 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Too complicated an issue for one size answer.  Issues like an expectation of privacy, public space, audio "wiretapping" laws, commercial or private use, etc.

I am sure there is some basic video recording by the clinic operator in certain areas as a matter of security.

Canadian news carried the story yet again yesterday, claiming the video has "gone viral, sparking outrage across Canada". The danger now is if the woman's identity leaks out, she might be attacked for her words.

Same goes with repeated presentation of videos of police officers involved in a shooting. The role of media should not be to hype stories to the point of inflaming the public, causing mass unrest.

• Like 1

They only blurred out her face to protect her son's identity, if there was no minor involved they wouldn't have blurred out her face.    The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to making and shaping a story.  They are supposed to report, not make the news.   I would fear for her if her identity got out, in fact a lot of people in the area might know who it is now.

How is this treated legally in the U.S., do they have laws about taking and posting videos without permission?

12 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Sorry can't discuss this any more, got  a warning point for thread drift..    :)-

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 0:19 PM, scribblet said:

I don't condone her behaviour or what sh said, but I'd cut her some slack as she was likely stressed out from waiting 5.5 hours in emerg. to be told by a 'brown doctor' he couldn't help her son.  She then went to a walk in clinic.   It is would not be racist to ask for someone who spoke understandable English, in fact it should be a requirement as it be life or death.

Secondary issue here to me is that of people taking pictures/videos then posting them without permission.  IMO that should be illegal.

I applaud public shaming racists and idiots. 

This will push for standards and create discussions. 

I don't see her changing her behaviour but her poor son will probably learn from this experience and distance himself from his mother's ignorance and bigotry.

So what is the problem. If she feels more comfortable with a white doctor, so what. I have had doctors white and black or brown and dont care.But some do and do not need to be called a rracist and such. The left alway go over the top on this crap, and that is the true hatred.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2016 at 4:27 PM, WestCoastRunner said:

If Canada's current immigration rate stays the same, our natural population growth would become negative by 2020. Increased global competition for high skilled workers requires Canada to address this issue so we can fill our labour market needs.

If Canada doesn't change our immigration policy with other countries we will be left behind in innovation and entrepreneurship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/research/global-trends.asp

What? We already have something close to 23,000 new illegal so-called refugees waiting for asylum in Canada today, and more on the way. And those new refugees know how to make babies, so no need for you to worry about population growth. There will be a bunch of new little Canadians running around to eventually fill the void. And on top of the approx. 250,000 new legal immigrants coming to Canada every year, well there should be no shortage of people ready to fill our labor market needs. Although we already have approx. two million Canadians out of work, but that should not be any problem at all. They can just stay on pogey for a bit longer. So, don't worry, with Trudeau as commander and chief in charge of labor he will solve our future population shortage. He could just keep bringing in new and illegal immigrants to try and solve that shortage problem, eh?