Told you so.

A 12-volume report into the invasion of Iraq has issued a damning indictment of the decision to go to war, saying it was based on false information and laid the groundwork for much of the turmoil that plagues the region today.

/facepalm

The real seeds of the turmoil go back to when Britain duped America into diddling the region.

Fricken' dingbats.

Edited by eyeball

The invasion of Iraq was the continuation of US/UK policy for a post Gulf War I Iraq. Regime change was a matter of U.S. Public Law as of 1998.

If the Americans want war, then there shall be war. Told you so...years ago.

Wars are meant to be profitable.

Resources are meant to be stolen

People are meant to be subjugated to the empire.

The US fought a war for independence from an oppressive empire ... and then became a worse one.

The death economy continues on it's predatory path, in Syria now.

Edited by jacee

Regime change was a matter of U.S. Public Law as of 1998.

If the Americans want war, then there shall be war. Told you so...years ago.

yup - classic rogue nation move! But don't stop there... don't forget the other U.S. law from 2002: the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002

hey, when the U.S. can't get UN sanction, the U.S. makes up its own laws to justify illegal invasions to the world - again, classic rogue nation moves!

Wars are meant to be profitable.

Resources are meant to be stolen

People are meant to be subjugated to the empire.

The US fought a war for independence from an oppressive empire ... and then became a worse one.

The death economy continues on it's predatory path, in Syria now.

That's right.....Obama will leave with Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Syria on full boil. It is U.S. foreign policy and it won't change one bit with the next president...or the one after that. A superpower's job is never done.....

I remember the time of the invasion, wondering why so many people were falling for this stupidity. It was so obviously based on BS. I agree that it's weird watching people gradually realize what was perfectly clear all along.

there are those that knew/projected from the onset, those that eventually realized and acknowledge their mistakes, those that now realize but won't acknowledge their mistakes... and those who could care less while gloating and relishing the next U.S. foreign policy blunder while tallying their MIC stock-market gains.

I remember the time of the invasion, wondering why so many people were falling for this stupidity. It was so obviously based on BS. I agree that it's weird watching people gradually realize what was perfectly clear all along.

I remember saying the same thing when Bush Senior was floating cartoon drawings of super-guns and underground fighter bases in Iraq to justify his invasion.

I remember lots of rubes protesting in the USA and around the world, as if their opinion mattered. It didn't matter when Clinton and Blair bombed Iraq in the 1990's, and it didn't matter when Canada sanctioned and strangled Iraq for "WMD".

There are still 15,000 U.S. troops in Kuwait, and it doesn't matter what those same people think about that either.

Same people thought President Obama was all about hope and change...suckers !

Iraq was just one example:

more-confessions-of-an-economic-hit-man-this-time-theyre-coming-for-your-democracy-

John Perkins: Things have just gotten so much worse in the last 12 years since the first Confessions was written. Economic hit men and jackals have expanded tremendously, including the United States and Europe.

Back in my day we were pretty much limited to what we called the third world, or economically developing countries, but now its everywhere.

And in fact, the cancer of the corporate empire has metastasized into what I would call a failed global death economy. This is an economy thats based on destroying the very resources upon which it depends, and upon the military. Its become totally global, and its a failure.

van Gelder: So how has this switched from us being the beneficiaries of this hit-man economy, perhaps in the past, to us now being more of the victims of it?

Perkins: Its been interesting because, in the past, the economic hit man economy was being propagated in order to make America wealthier and presumably to make people here better off, but as this whole process has expanded in the U.S. and Europe, what weve seen is a tremendous growth in the very wealthy at the expense of everybody else.

On a global basis we now know that 62 individuals have as many assets as half the worlds population.

We of course in the U.S. have seen how our government is frozen, its just not working. Its controlled by the big corporations and theyve really taken over.

Syria: US supporting jihadists.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/07/syria-abductions-torture-and-summary-killings-at-the-hands-of-armed-groups/

Hunh?

Yup.

Hmmm ... Obviously it's not about 'terrorism'.

Nope. It's about destabilizing the country to steal their resources ... by any means possible, with terrorist help.

Profit is the only motive.

The corporatocracy rules.

Edited by jacee

However, it's funny to see the people who were terribly wrong be bitter about it and lash out at those who were absolutely right.

what's even funnier is to read the foreign interloper so taken aback that anyone would question or challenge his perception that the U.S. has carte blanche to just go rogue while squealing "might makes right" and "get out of the way... we've got a regime to change"! Blowback has "questionable intellect" American's so petrified they're willing to vote for an idiot, charlatan fraud like Trump!

/facepalm

The real seeds of the turmoil go back to when Britain duped America into diddling the region.

Fricken' dingbats.

At the time, I agreed with Chretien's decision not to participate in the invasion of Iraq. (I'm sure that Chretien was under tremendous pressure to send even a token division. He rightly said no, not at all.)

I still think the invasion of Iraq (Gulf War II) was a mistake but at the same time, I now realize that we in the West at some point or another will have to defend our basic principles.

Bush Jnr may have wrongly chosen the time and place and method but make no mistake, his decision made the work of a future US president easier.

....I still think the invasion of Iraq (Gulf War II) was a mistake but at the same time, I now realize that we in the West at some point or another will have to defend our basic principles.

Not making a decision would have been a bigger mistake. That's what President Carter found out in the 1980 election. Bush was elected to a 2nd term after the invasion of Iraq (my member name purposely emphasizes this point).

The Americans should have stayed out of WWI as well...look what happened afterward !

This report is almost meaningless. It's friggin 2016. Everyone has known these conclusions for many years. What's far, far more important is putting measures in place to make sure something like this never, ever happens again, and that those responsible for conning nations to war are put in jail for the rest of their lives. But that hasn't happened, and people don't care either.

At the time, I agreed with Chretien's decision not to participate in the invasion of Iraq. (I'm sure that Chretien was under tremendous pressure to send even a token division. He rightly said no, not at all.)

I still think the invasion of Iraq (Gulf War II) was a mistake but at the same time, I now realize that we in the West at some point or another will have to defend our basic principles.

Principles?

You mean corporate profits.

This report is almost meaningless. It's friggin 2016. Everyone has known these conclusions for many years. What's far, far more important is putting measures in place to make sure something like this never, ever happens again, and that those responsible for conning nations to war are put in jail for the rest of their lives. But that hasn't happened, and people don't care either.

It's happening again.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cheney-murdoch-rothschild-drill-oil-reserves-syrian-occupied-territory-violate-international-law/

I remember lots of rubes protesting in the USA and around the world, as if their opinion mattered. It didn't matter when Clinton and Blair bombed Iraq in the 1990's, and it didn't matter when Canada sanctioned and strangled Iraq for "WMD".

Yes it did. Just like it matters that Obama and Trudeau are murderers too.

What doesn't matter any more is why.

Bush Jnr may have wrongly chosen the time and place and method but make no mistake, his decision made the work of a future US president easier.

Oh yeah, Obama got off real 'easy' having to deal with ISIS and the refugee crisis that ensued. Heckuva job GW.

Oh yeah, Obama got off real 'easy' having to deal with ISIS and the refugee crisis that ensued. Heckuva job GW.

"GW" inherited an Iraq that was already fully engaged with military attacks and UN sanctions for "WMD". The legality of such actions, including the 2003 invasion will be debated for years, particularly in the UK...

The point is simply that the ceasefire following the first Gulf war was conditional; Iraq’s repeated breaches of its obligations meant those conditions were not fulfilled, and the authorisation for the use of force revived. That argument was at least as strong in 2003 as it was in 1998 when Robin Cook, Ming Cambell and Elizabeth Wilmshurst all supported it. In fact the argument was stronger because of the terms of UNSCR 1441.

http://www.headoflegal.com/2010/01/27/the-legality-of-the-iraq-war/

Not making a decision would have been a bigger mistake. That's what President Carter found out in the 1980 election. Bush was elected to a 2nd term after the invasion of Iraq (my member name purposely emphasizes this point).

The Americans should have stayed out of WWI as well...look what happened afterward !

And your member name is wrong.

IMHO, Iraq is/was a complicated place where the US military would just make things worse - for no gain.

In Vietnam (also a complicated place), the US was at least showing the Soviets that the West could push back. In Iraq, the US was showing nothing to anyone except that it could send troops abroad (like the British pointlessly did in the Boer War...).

IMHO, in 2002/2003, the US should have ignored Iraq and forcefully destroyed places like Afghanistan, Somalia and Yemen (North and South).

=====

In domestic terms, the SQ eventually bulldozed the house of the Hell's Angels so strippers no longer go there. In international terms, it means making life unliveable for anyone who has any association with idiots flying planes into big NYC buildings.

Edited by August1991