Told you so.

Principles?

You mean corporate profits.

Principle? At least the goal of "corporate profits" is clear. Business people want to make money - and we reward them with our purchases.

In politics, it's not clear what the goal is. Or even how a politician could achieve it.

Oh yeah, Obama got off real 'easy' having to deal with ISIS and the refugee crisis that ensued. Heckuva job GW.

Obama did not get off easy, anymore than Truman - or Voltaire.

We, in the West, have been dealing with this "problem" for many, many years. I still have hope that we can drag these superstitious heathens into a society of the Enlightenment.

=======

As e.e. cummings put it:

"There's a hell of a great universe next door; let's go...."

Edited by August1991

And your member name is wrong.

Nope....the 2004 U.S. presidential election is firmly in the books and Bush/Cheney won. Hell, Obama "invaded" Iraq again !

IMHO, in 2002/2003, the US should have ignored Iraq and forcefully destroyed places like Afghanistan, Somalia and Yemen (North and South).

If that was such a great idea, why weren't other nations committing lots of resources to do the same ?

In domestic terms, the SQ eventually bulldozed the house of the Hell's Angels so strippers no longer go there. In international terms, it means making life unliveable for anyone who has any association with idiots flying planes into big NYC buildings.

See Israel....much better example than SQ.

Nope....the 2004 U.S. presidential election is firmly in the books and Bush/Cheney won.

[sarcasm]I stand corrected. [misses point]Yer right, Bush & Cheney were re-elected in 2004. [/didn't know that]

But I still think that Bush Jnr's decision to invade Iraq was wrong.

With that said, I also think that we in the West will have to do as Blair and Howard (and Bush Jnr) and eventually stand up and say: Here I Stand.

Edited by August1991

I still think the invasion of Iraq (Gulf War II) was a mistake but at the same time, I now realize that we in the West at some point or another will have to defend our basic principles.

Jacee said:

Principles?

You mean corporate profits.

August1991 said:

Principle? At least the goal of "corporate profits" is clear. Business people want to make money - and we reward them with our purchases.

In politics, it's not clear what the goal is. Or even how a politician could achieve it.

Iraq was about profit.

So were many other coups/takeovers conducted in other countries by the US ... for corporate profit.

Edited by jacee

But I still think that Bush Jnr's decision to invade Iraq was wrong.

With that said, I also think that we in the West will have to do as Blair and Howard (and Bush Jnr) and eventually stand up and say: Here I Stand.

Had nothing to do with right or wrong. It was the policy of the UK/USA to topple Saddam's regime...long before GWB was elected president.

Was Wilson "right or wrong" to engage Europe's WWI knowing now what followed ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It had as much to do with neoconservative ideological visions of American Empire and global supremacy via military might as it did with simply profits.

All paid for by US taxpayers, of course, under the guise of 'spreading democracy and freedom' while overthrowing governments and installing corrupt dictators ... who will obediently sell out the country's resources to the corporatocracy ... who will stash money wherever they don't have to pay taxes ... and move on to destabilizing, corrupting and enslaving the next country with debt ...

All paid for by US taxpayers.

There may be some in it for the 'glory of empire', but I think they're just duped by those in it for the money.

Edited by jacee

All paid for by US taxpayers, of course, under the guise of 'spreading democracy and freedom' while overthrowing governments and installing corrupt dictators ... who will obediently sell out the country's resources to the corporatocracy ..

Sure...just like the Canadian mining corps and oil services contractors quickly to follow. Smells like...money !

Sure...just like the Canadian mining corps and oil services contractors quickly to follow. Smells like...money !

why... this rings of the many related past posts where you speak to Paul Martin in the desert tent! :lol: Seems my recollection has you forever talking up Iraqi "Canadian oil service contracts"... I believe your deflecting way to shift responsibility for the failed invasion to others. And then... why the waldo put his crack research team into gear and showed you exactly the degree of that quite minuscule number/amount of Canadian firms secured contracts. Let me know if you'd like me to search for that particular summary accounting post. However, you have added in a slight new wrinkle here with reference to, "Canadian mining corps contractors". Please elaborate - thanks in advance!

You got that right.

It's all the same beast.

The US just has more firepower ... and the CIA jackals for 'necessary' assassinations, of course.