which women should be on Canada's paper notes?

Topaz

The government has said that whatever NEW woman gets to be on a dollar bill will have to be safely dead first.

Pretty dumb rule, given that the most qualified women are primarily alive. For example:

http://www.science.ca/scientists/scientistprofile.php?pID=419

Oh well, what do you expect from a government that rejects enlightenment values like equality between men, women and non-binary people?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty dumb rule, given that the most qualified women are primarily alive. For example:

http://www.science.ca/scientists/scientistprofile.php?pID=419

Oh well, what do you expect from a government that rejects enlightenment values like equality between men, women and non-binary people?

Many organizations have been "burned" when they honor some live person and later that persons behavior changes or they do something that makes them unworthy of the honor - but it is too late - the honor has been published.

Also In this case (Dead for over 25 years) allows for time for some secret transgression to have been aired before the person is honored.

Edited by Big Guy

Putting a performer or artist of any sort on our currency is just plain stupidity.

But instead we have the Queen.... should have Mr Fred Mercury on there instead.

I like The Squids idea to have Emily Carr on the notes ... Buffy St Marie would be welcome also.

But instead we have the Queen.... should have Mr Fred Mercury on there instead.

I like The Squids idea to have Emily Carr on the notes ... Buffy St Marie would be welcome also.

It brings us back to the thought, we can't even think of anybody, let alone agree on someone - so why bother?

It brings us back to the thought, we can't even think of anybody, let alone agree on someone - so why bother?

There's a rarely use logical fallacy.

Usually it's an appeal to numbers: lots of people agree with this position so it's right (but then Christians found out that there are more Muslims so it lost favour).

Of course there is the logical fallacy I raised earlier in this thread about the appeal to perfection (or nirvana fallacy) which certainly seems related here too.

But I want to focus on the "hasty generalization" form of fallacy.

This is where one leaps to a conclusion based on a small sample of people.

I like to thank those who get their knickers in a knot over who may grace our notes for providing these opportunities for exploring logical fallacies.

• 4 weeks later...

With all the great Canadian women throughout our history this is more evidence of our ignorance and male dominated culture than a lack of deserving candidates.

Personally, I would like to see Roberta Bondar but Nellie McClung or Laura Sabia would be great choices.

You don't find leaders in a struggle for equality or a rock star scientist important? That's alright, it was my list. Who would you name?

I've already made my opinion clear. By any logical assessment of the PEOPLE who were in prominent positions of influence in the building of Canada, no woman is anywhere near the equal of scores of men.

And I'm not paternalistic enough to want to promote a woman for something she doesn't deserve.

Edited by Argus

With all the great Canadian women throughout our history this is more evidence of our ignorance and male dominated culture than a lack of deserving candidates.

Personally, I would like to see Roberta Bondar but Nellie McClung or Laura Sabia would be great choices.

McLung gets nixed because of her enthusiasm for eugenics. Well maybe not, similar beliefs did not diminish the love for Tommy Douglas.

How about Louise McKinney?

How about Louise McKinney?

As one of the first female legislators I'd say she would make a decent candidate, though I am certainly not a fan of her temperance work. Paws off my beer, lady! Still, I would prefer Bondar.

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

You probably never heard of her, along with 99.99% of Canadians. But the Liberals searched high and low, through every record and historical archive in desperate, painfully earnest search for a woman who could be admired by progressives (meaning not white) and came up with Viola Desmond. Her claim to fame is apparently that she once was fined $26 for refusing to get out of the white section of a movie theater in Nova Scotia, and started a beauty shop. 

She will replace a white guy named John MacDonald who had no real accomplishments of note, and besides, is white, and a guy (eewww!). You are not to consider this to be a smug, smirking, paternalistic gift to womankind. Nor are you to suggest a woman with so few life accomplishments would have booted Johnny Macdonald off the bill if she weren't Black and the Liberals weren't desperate to show how progressive they are.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/viola-desmond-will-be-first-woman-other-than-the-queen-featured-on-canadian-currency

57 minutes ago, eyeball said:

OTOH perhaps they were just searching for a woman that would cause right-wing conservatives to respond true to form. 

Sure if by "true form" you mean an intelligent reaction to a pretty shallow selection. It's an insult women to tell them that the best they could find for a woman worthy of being on the Canadian money, was  a lady that once got uppity in a theatre. It sends the message loud and clear that the Liberals don't believe that women actually have contributed anything of value to the country.