Tom Mulcair leadership review

Here is a question folks does Tom pass his leadership review??

1. If he doesnt pass state why and who you feel should take over as leader
2. If he does state why you think so

as for me its too complicated for me to say, but it will be a tight review.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mulcair was both savior and dunce to NDP prospects last October. He moved his party to the right in the last election in a timely bid to gain fiscal respectability - long an NDP barrier to power. This strategy was working - according to all polls - until he blundered his response to the controversial niqab issue. His 'gov'ts have no business in the wardrobes of the nation' stance did not play well with his fiery Quebec core support, and the rest is history.

As a parliamentarian he has few equals. His daily grilling of Harper in QP probably contributed to a damaged Conservative profile among voters.

On balance, however, a leader unable to deliver even a minority with the favorable circumstances handed him last October, does not deserve another shot at success.

Edited by Vancouver King

Could any leader of the NDP won against Justin? I don't think so but I like Tom but the rage to get rid of Harper make people vote for Justin because the polls said HE was the one in the lead just before election day. I think he deserve another chance BUT if the NDP MPs have a problem with him.... then that is totally different.

It depends what he says at convention. If he recognizes his mistakes and admits that moving the party to the centre was a bad idea, then he stays on. If not, I think there's going to be a lot of people wanting him out. It's tough to say who would replace him now, but personally I would like to see Nathan Cullen lead the party.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that the challenge for the NDP has always been that they are considered to be the conscience of the nation. The traditional role has been as a third party on the federal level. But as a third party in a minority government, they have in the past been able to get more legislative concessions to their philosophy by propping up whoever was in the minority.

Layton gave Mulcair enough seats so that they were finally in shooting distance to govern. To do so, Mulcair had to change and move his party towards the center. He did but lost his far left wing which is the heart of the party and Mulcairs concessions to the center negated the tradition role that the NDP had held. It was a gamble and he lost.

Losers should not get re-elected.

I have always believed that Canada is best served by a minority Liberal or Conservative government with the NDP having the power to force an election. In this manner the NDP has kept our government honest and central - where I believe most Canadians stand.

Harper thought that he could move the country to the right with his majority government omnibus bills and a free hand in foreign policy. I think Harper misread Canadians. I believe that we are a centrist nation with a tendency to go left on domestic issues and right on foreign policy. Note all the bills to move us to the right being rescinded.

Tom Mulcair tried but lost. He had his chance. Time for Megan to take over.

Edited by Big Guy

Done like dinner. The new leader and even with the conservatives ,will have to picked a new leader that is pretty and dumb, or there will no chance of beating trudeau.

Peggy Nash has just come out throwing verbal knives at Mulcair and blaming him for the latest defeat. I wonder if she is leading the revolt with her eyes on the leadership.

The NDP's own legacy caused their defeat, not Mulcair. A lot of people wanted the NDP to win and would have gladly voted for them with Mulcair in charge. Problem is they wanted them to win but didn't BELIEVE the would win so those voters figured Harper would win if they didn't vote liberal.

Sucks being the party of conscience in a place where people wont vote their conscience.

Id give Mulcair another shot if he wants it. He accomplished quite a lot despite being weighed down by a weak political brand with a legacy of losing.

I asked what was thread drift and got my post deleted. His comment makes no sense and apparently he refuses to point out exactly what posts he's talking about.

Oh then probably he deleted the thread drift posts but left his as a warning. Out of context it reads badly though.

Oh then probably he deleted the thread drift posts but left his as a warning. Out of context it reads badly though.

Indeed. The culprits got the message.

What? All the posts leading up to yours were on track.

Yes. The off-track posts were taken down.

This message and some of the precedding messages will probably be taken down once the discussion moves past the thread drift.

I asked what was thread drift and got my post deleted. His comment makes no sense and apparently he refuses to point out exactly what posts he's talking about.

I responded to your post advising in that regard... apparently, my original post (now hidden) was the culprit - but who knows for sure. And my response to you was also hidden. The point of my follow-up was to highlight my response was to a post that still remains intact. Apparently, the moderator chooses to hide posts that speak to that original post... but he also chooses to leave the original intact. For some reason - but who knows for sure.

I agree with Nathan Cullen, if a new leader is appointed.

Cullen is my parents MP, and he certainly fits the stereotypical far-left activist type that some might associate with the NDP (he's the most extreme left-winger that have personally encountered). It would make sense if the NDP wanted that after the failed attempt at centrism, but do they think that would garner them more seats than they have now?

Cullen is my parents MP, and he certainly fits the stereotypical far-left activist type that some might associate with the NDP (he's the most extreme left-winger that have personally encountered). It would make sense if the NDP wanted that after the failed attempt at centrism, but do they think that would garner them more seats than they have now?

Far left... please define how he is "far left" and an "activist". Then we can have a discussion about it... as it is, the labels alone are completely meaningless.

Cullen is very popular in his riding, often receiving a majority of the votes in past elections. It was closer this past election with the Liberal candidate doing much better than in the past.

Edited by The_Squid