Tom Mulcair leadership review

Only if you consider the Alberta NDP biased.......

Did you read this part of the article, "On Friday, Mulcair insisted to The Canadian Press he would never suggest that oil should stay in the ground"? Or just the parts that excited you?

Meanwhile, the NDP MP from Alberta also added the criticism from the Alberta NDP is "much ado about nothing."

But I'm sure you have an actual source for Mulcair saying that oil should stay in the ground. The same Mulcair who advocated Energy East.

Edited by cybercoma

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read this part of the article, "On Friday, Mulcair insisted to The Canadian Press he would never suggest that oil should stay in the ground"? Or just the parts that excited you?

Meanwhile, the NDP MP from Alberta also added the criticism from the Alberta NDP is "much ado about nothing."

But I'm sure you have an actual source for Mulcair saying that oil should stay in the ground. The same Mulcair who advocated Energy East.

If this was "much ado about nothing", why did the deputy Premier of Alberta condemn Mulcair's remarks?

As to the remarks themselves, isn't Mulcair supportive of the Leap Manifesto? Does not the Manifesto seek to halt the extraction and use of fossil fuels as an energy source in favor of recycled hemp and the laughter of children?

I'll never vote NDP, but I honestly feel sorry for them going through this implosion and fail to see how they will ever be competitive against the gumdrops and unicorn kisses form the leftist Trudeau Liberals (by leftist, I mean not in reality, but for the cameras).......And the Alberta NDP is just screwed.....

Edited by Derek 2.0

No because clearly he didn't say that oil should be kept in the ground. He's opposed that idea every step of the way and was even the one pushing for Energy East several years ago when he brought up Dutch disease. Why else would it be "news" that he wouldn't oppose policy as voted on by the membership?

Edited by cybercoma

Also to say the Leap Manifesto just wants to keep oil in the ground is an infantile way of interpreting the document. It's about moving away from depending on fossil fuels, which as we've seen is economically volatile. This isn't anything Notley hasn't said herself. She has discussed investing in green energy tech and research to make the AB economy more resilient. But I get it. Conservatives like living in the past and have no interest in future proofing our economy. Just focus on getting yourselves a leader who doesn't give a crap about the future.

The NDP have to decide if they want to stick with leftist principles that ensure they will never be elected, or otherwise. Pre-convention the sentiment seems to be for the former, so bye bye Tom and thanks for the hard work.

What exactly are Leftist principles? I NDP's origins are on the prairies, where it was all for the working man, and Mulcair's views on balancing budgets and fiscal responsibility were fully in line with the views of the forerunnners of today's party. But the party of 2016 is not so much the party of the working man, as Rex Murphy points out, but the party of fashionable causes. It is sustained not so much by farmers and workers in hard hats but academics and ideologues. Such people have little patience for Mulcair's reality, for they enjoy living in their own. They will dump Mulcair, move hard left and become irrelevant once more.

Once upon a time — long, long ago — the NDP was seen as a working-class party, a party with a feel for the little guy, a party that almost revered workers and their jobs, and visibly ached when those at the bottom of the economic pile were knocked out of the workforce. Where is it now? Hard to tell, but it’s certainly more of an urban, yuppie, trend-driven faction than the party that once championed the “working class.” The current NDP will get more worked up over “de-gendering the bathroom” than job losses in Alberta, or anywhere else.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/rex-murphy-dumping-on-alberta-in-its-own-backyard

52% vote in favor of a leadership review at the NDP Convention, Mulcair is out.
Leadership election is go!

Thought that would be the case. Reality and realism are obscene terms to all too many of the NDP.

Mulcair being booted is only the minor portion of the story - what I'm actually curious about is the LEAP Manifesto. With any luck, they will vote to endorse it as party principle and therefore be cast to the nether regions of complete insignificance for the foreseeable future in Canada, just like the Greens.

Any word yet?

Mulcair being booted is only the minor portion of the story - what I'm actually curious about is the LEAP Manifesto. With any luck, they will vote to endorse it as party principle and therefore be cast to the nether regions of complete insignificance for the foreseeable future in Canada, just like the Greens.

Any word yet?

Yes, they did vote to endorse it. It calls for doing away with capitalism and its evil 'profit gouging' corporations, ending resource extraction, and focusing on 'green sectors of the economy' like caregiving, teaching, and social work. LOL! So do away with the sectors which MAKE money and increase the sectors which CONSUME money! Nothing in there about how to pay for it other than increasing taxes on those evil money gouging corporations and the 'rich' which is probably anyone middle class. It's a recipe for electoral oblivion. Mulcair came very close to forming an NDP government. This will ensure the NDP is irrelevant for many years to come.

So, if the NDP is going back to the far left, it leaves the center and left center to the Liberals - but - it also opens up the center right for the Conservatives if they also choose to move back to their Progressive Conservative roots. It will be interesting to see if the defeated Harper Conservatives continue to try to hold the far right (where there is no competition) with a leader from the Harper Cabinet.

I think this is giving (turncoat) MacKay a boot towards the leadership. The rest of the current Conservative leadership contenders are still tainted with the Harper paint. A long time yet to go and I believe that we will have some progressive conservatives showing interest.

I figured you'd be rooting for a strong NDP.

No, I'd rather see a fight on open ground. Once the NDP become nothing more than a footnote in history, the Cons and Libs can finally fight it out over who are lying (??) and who are conservative. Shouldn't take Justin*Trudeau long to sink his own ship now that there's no choice other than the CPC. Edited by Charles Anthony
*spelling

No, I'd rather see a fight on open ground. Once the NDP become nothing more than a footnote in history, the Cons and Libs can finally fight it out over who are lying (??) and who are conservative.

That kind of talk is beneath you.

No, I'd rather see a fight on open ground. Once the NDP become nothing more than a footnote in history, the Cons and Libs can finally fight it out over who are lying (??) and who are conservative. Shouldn't take Justin*Trudeau long to sink his own ship now that there's no choice other than the CPC.

There won't be any fight at all once Trudeau passes ranked ballots as 'electoral form'.

It's over baby.

This weekend has been absolutely perfect for the Liberals in every way.

A strong and articulate leader deposed.

The NDP adopt a platform that will appeal to about 15% of Canadians at most.

There is some pretty harsh polarization of NDP at the convention, and that means that the soft left is now wondering how much a Liberal membership costs.

Conservatives never lie?

Smallc, I used a small c.

Both parties will be banging hard on the "conservative" drum come next election - especially with regards to financial conservatism in order to argue who is best at cleaning up the expensive mess that Justin is making. So, yes, one side will be conservative and the other will lie about being conservative.

There won't be any fight at all once Trudeau passes ranked ballots as 'electoral form'.

It's over baby.

This weekend has been absolutely perfect for the Liberals in every way.

If the NDP stayed even fractionally relevant this may be true, but with them steering hard left (as in "activist left") the ranked ballots won't play in the Libs favor nearly as much. There are way too many "progressives" that aren't necessarily that looney so liberals may put the Cons as their second choice and vice versa. The self destruction of the NDP may end some vote splitting but it also may be the only thing that saves Canada from Justin's election fixing tactics.