Iowa Caucus 2016

I've always hoped we might see a female President, a female Prime Minister of Canada (I'm aware that "other" Kimmy was PM for a few months, but I'm not sure it counts...) ...and I desperately wanted to like Hilary too. I was pro-Hilary in 2008 and I don't know if my views have changed much or if I've just become disenchanted with her in particular. I'd still like to see a female President some day... just a little disappointed that it couldn't be somebody better.

-k

I think women should run the world for a while. They can't possibly f*ck it up as badly as men have.

The only problem is that it seems like some women in leadership positions try so hard to make sure they aren't perceived as "soft" that you get... well, Hilary.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's slimy, she's uninspiring, but she would be unlikely to do anything particularly radical and that's a good thing.

Compared to Cruz she is a paragon of virtue. This story about Cruz seems to be true as far as I can tell and it says this guy has absolutely no sense of decency or justice:

In 1997, Michael Wayne Haley was arrested after stealing a calculator from Walmart. This was a crime that merited a maximum two-year prison term. But prosecutors incorrectly applied a habitual offender law. Neither the judge nor the defense lawyer caught the error and Haley was sentenced to 16 years.

Eventually, the mistake came to light and Haley tried to fix it. Ted Cruz was solicitor general of Texas at the time. Instead of just letting Haley go for time served, Cruz took the case to the Supreme Court to keep Haley in prison for the full 16 years.

Some justices were skeptical. “Is there some rule that you can’t confess error in your state?” Justice Anthony Kennedy asked. The court system did finally let Haley out of prison, after six years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/opinion/the-brutalism-of-ted-cruz.html?_r=0%20Edit%20|%20Quick Edit%20|%20Trash%20|%20Preview Edited by TimG

I think women should run the world for a while. They can't possibly f*ck it up as badly as men have.

The only problem is that it seems like some women in leadership positions try so hard to make sure they aren't perceived as "soft" that you get... well, Hilary.

And every now and then you get a Thatcher.

Who are you hoping for, Shady? It seems to me you've backed more "mainstream" candidates in the past... are you hoping for Rubio this time?

-k

Yeah, I'm hoping that Rubio builds some momentum now, and some of the lesser candidates drop out of the race.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Rubio builds some momentum now, and some of the lesser candidates drop out of the race.

Yes indeed..........without a doubt it will be interesting to see who endorses who, as the field begins to narrow. I would expect the South Carolina primary will be the make or break point for many.

I agree. Sanders because if the support he was able to generate in such a short time and Rubino in that the Republican establishment now has a contender they can embrace and start contributing to.

Sanders doesn't stand a chance. Iowa represents 1% of delegates and he only came away with 21.

Hilary is very strong in the big-state, delegate-rich primaries and in the South. Not only that, she also has super delegates who number around 200.

Sanders doesn't stand a chance. Iowa represents 1% of delegates and he only came away with 21.

Hilary is very strong in the big-state, delegate-rich primaries and in the South. Not only that, she also has super delegates who number around 200.

Well Sanders is gonna kick Hillarys ass in New Hampshire next.

Most people do, but not Hilary. She wouldn't need to earn another penny even if she lives to be 200.

It just makes me feel cynical about her.

-k

Much of her and Bill's speaking fees go to their charitable foundation. And there is no reason she should have to twiddle her thumbs just because she is wealthy.

She is also raising the bar for speaking fees for women which is still way behind men's fees. Kudos to her on that.

Much of her and Bill's speaking fees go to their charitable foundation. And there is no reason she should have to twiddle her thumbs just because she is wealthy.She is also raising the bar for speaking fees for women which is still way behind men's fees. Kudos to her on that.

Oh yes, the very questionable charitable foundation. That must be how they're worth over a hundred million dollars.

I like what Sanders has to say but would never vote for him. Maybe 20 years ago but not now. At 74 years old he cannot be counted upon to function properly for at least the next 5 years.

Aging from 74 to 79 is not like aging from 34 to 39. Many of my friends are septuagenarians. A few are still sharp but I have seen many deteriorate very quickly during that age group. Reagan was about 65 when he was first elected and was obviously going senile near the end of his term.

I like what Sanders has to say but would never vote for him. Maybe 20 years ago but not now. At 74 years old he cannot be counted upon to function properly for at least the next 5 years.

Aging from 74 to 79 is not like aging from 34 to 39. Many of my friends are septuagenarians. A few are still sharp but I have seen many deteriorate very quickly during that age group. Reagan was about 65 when he was first elected and was obviously going senile near the end of his term.

Sanders demographics are young white students. That won't carry him very far.

I have a deal for you. I'll respond to this thread if you will respond to women being impregnated with the Zica virus and choosing to abort.