Islamophobia in Canada

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

No, it's no-one's business.  I'm only concerned with those who do not.  Same as FGM.  I don't care if a grown woman chooses to get her parts mutilated.  I'm very much against anyone being forced into it though.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1098064830328388&id=377616519039893

We have laws to deal with illegal abusive behaviours. 

Wearing a burka isn't illegal and it's not your business.

And it isn't that common. 

Faux feminist men are really just antiMuslim and latching onto it as a symbol, an excuse for xenophobia.

Edited by jacee

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Well, I wouldn't say that.  In some Muslim countries, a woman can be held responsible for being raped.  Have you heard of this?  A woman is worth much less than a man in some places.  Have you heard of that?  But I will see what I can find on this.  But maybe you don't want to know.

I have heard of this, yes.  In Western countries, its expressed as "She was drinking/partying/passed out/dressed like a slut, what did she expect?"  Which is a hell of a lot better than "Put her in jail", but its the same basic mindset:  "She was raped? She must have been doing something wrong."  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

I have heard of this, yes.  In Western countries, its expressed as "She was drinking/partying/passed out/dressed like a slut, what did she expect?"  Which is a hell of a lot better than "Put her in jail", but its the same basic mindset:  "She was raped? She must have been doing something wrong."  

Yes.  I will see what I can find on this.

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Here is a website which talks about a major difference in Islam when it comes to rape.  You might want to take a look at this.

http://thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/rape-adultery.aspx

It says in Islamic law, rape can only be proven if a rapist confesses or there are four male witnesses who are willing to testify.  How often will you find that?

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

Not on my account.  I am well aware of the punishment women in some countries receive for being raped.

I am interested in learning a little more about it.  Don't fear learning about it.  Knowledge about such things can never hurt, unless you are afraid it might colour your view of Islam.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Why yes I do.  But some here seem to think that Muslim men raping and assaulting women is a Muslim thing, when really its more of a "man" thing.

Exactly,  you are making my point verbatim.  In Germany, 1000 women report muslim men sexual assaulting them, Sweden is now the rape capital of the western world and because not one politician can utter the word muslim, it falls on all men.  Thanks for that muslims!

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

You ignored my point.  There is a difference between hate crimes and terrorist attacks by jihadists.  You still don't get it.

This thread is about Islamophobia in Canada. 

There seems to be much confusion about that among people here who know very little of the moderate and peaceful Canadian Muslim communities here. We've seen little of extremist 'jihadis' in Canada, but we've seen a lot of islamophobia, and that's the issue being addressed in this thread.

Generalized prejudice against Muslims in Canada because of their religion is not justified by reference to extremist activity elsewhere in the world. 

2 minutes ago, jacee said:

This thread is about Islamophobia in Canada. 

There seems to be much confusion about that among people here who know very little of the moderate and peaceful Canadian Muslim communities here. We've seen little of extremist 'jihadis' in Canada, but we've seen a lot of islamophobia, and that's the issue being addressed in this thread.

Generalized prejudice against Muslims in Canada because of their religion is not justified by reference to extremist activity elsewhere in the world. 

So what exactly is Islamophobia in your mind?

5 minutes ago, jacee said:

Anyone can see what's going on in other western countries where a large number of refugees are being taken in with little or no training provided to help them leave their misogyny behind. The coverings are a symbol of that, which the first generation migrants are uncomfortable letting go of. Some of the women might be too scared to dare stand up for themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, jacee said:

Prejudice, like anti-Semitism.

Islamophobia, anti-Muslim behaviour, is now the number one source of hate crimes and attacks in Canada.

What about being opposed to Sharia law, Islam or teachings in it and speaking against it?  Would that be Islamophobia?

2 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

...and what does she think an extremist jihadi is?  Surely nothing to do with the Khadrs, I assume.

We don't have much of an "extremist jihadi" problem in Canada.

But we do have a serious problem with  Islamophobic hate crimes and attacks.

53 minutes ago, jacee said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1098064830328388&id=377616519039893

We have laws to deal with illegal abusive behaviours. 

Wearing a burka isn't illegal and it's not your business.

And it isn't that common. 

Faux feminist men are really just antiMuslim and latching onto it as a symbol, an excuse for xenophobia.

Well, you say so, but that's just because you can't deal with the conflict that the treatment of women under Islam causes for a liberal.  If you want me to be anti muslim so you don't have to confront it, that's up to you.  If you want to pretend Islam is good for women, that's up to you.  I think differently, and I'm comfortable with my reasons for thinking so.

20 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What about being opposed to Sharia law, Islam or teachings in it and speaking against it?  Would that be Islamophobia?

Sharia law isn't an issue in Canada. 

One is free to criticize any religion, though not to incite hatred or advocate violence against people because of their religion. 

Edited by jacee

31 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Well, you say so, but that's just because you can't deal with the conflict that the treatment of women under Islam causes for a liberal.  If you want me to be anti muslim so you don't have to confront it, that's up to you.  If you want to pretend Islam is good for women, that's up to you.  I think differently, and I'm comfortable with my reasons for thinking so.

It is not up to you to decide what's "good" for ANY women, dipsh!t !!

I want Muslim women to decide for themselves what they want to wear, do, etc. like the rest of us. 

We have invasive and domineering  Canadian conservative men pretty well trained in the last 50 years to butt-the-fk-out of our decisions. So now you latch onto the 'poor downtrodden' Muslim women who you think still need your advice?

Gag me with a spoon! ^_^

Edited by jacee

13 minutes ago, jacee said:

One is free to criticize any religion, though not to incite hatred or advocate violence against people because of their religion. 

19 minutes ago, jacee said:

Apparently some tried to have Sharia law brought into Ontario, but it was rejected.  Yes it is an issue because a certain percentage of Muslims in the UK apparently think it should be brought in.  What is happening in Europe could be a prediction of what could happen here once the they have the numbers.

7 minutes ago, jacee said:

It is not up to you to decide what's "good" for ANY women, dipsh!t !!

I want Muslim women to decide for themselves what they want to wear, do, etc. like the rest of us. 

We have invasive and domineering  Canadian conservative men pretty well trained in the last 50 years to butt-the-fk-out of our decisions. So now you latch onto the 'poor downtrodden' Muslim women who you think still need your advice?

Gag me with a spoon! ^_^

Don't talk wet!  Muslim women deciding for themselves.  That's what I want.  You want them to pretend.  Like I said, it helps you avoid the liberal conflict of having to decide between two pet causes.

What utter bollocks.  You don't need a spoon to gag. 

Edited by bcsapper

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Apparently some tried to have Sharia law brought into Ontario, but it was rejected.  Yes it is an issue because a certain percentage of Muslims in the UK apparently think it should be brought in.  What is happening in Europe could be a prediction of what could happen here once the they have the numbers.

"Some tried ... UK ... Europe ... could ... "

Yadda yadda yadda ... speculation, obfuscation ... trolling your prejudices and Islamophobia.

Stick to the thread topic.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

"Some tried ... UK ... Europe ... could ... "

Yadda yadda yadda ... speculation, obfuscation ... trolling your prejudices and Islamophobia.

Stick to the thread topic.

So you didn't tell the truth about Islamophobia.  You just said it was inciting hatred or inciting violence.  Now you are admitting just opposing Sharia law is prejudice and Islamophobia.  I think I get where you are coming from.  You support promoting Islam and Sharia law, correct?

Just now, blackbird said:

So you didn't tell the truth about Islamophobia.  You just said it was inciting hatred or inciting violence.  Now you are admitting just opposing Sharia law is prejudice and Islamophobia.  I think I get where you are coming from.  You support promoting Islam and Sharia law, correct?

:lol::lol:

Ya, put me on your list, kcop.

:P